Getting Female Feral Spayed-help

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a female feral cat who lives in our back yard behind our garage where there are heaps of lumber and had kittens. The kittens who were about 6 weeks old when we found them were all very sick. My husband and I took them to a local shelter and they are being fostered. So happy about that! Since then my husband has cleared out the lumber pile so momma kitty has been sleeping on our back porch. It’s my intention to get her spayed at our local shelter who has a trap spay release program. There is a new male cat who now is around and won’t leave her alone. We also have pretty mean raccoons who I’ve heard fighting with the cats out back. I got info about the spay and they do surgery in the morning and then pick up is in afternoon. I am so worried about her having time to heal and protect herself. I’m I worrying too much? Should I get her spayed if I can catch her? I can’t bring her in my house to heal and I have no other location for her to be quarantined while she heals. I’m not sure what to do. She’s pretty small and I really have gotten attached to her. My husband is not helping and does not want anything to do with this cat. Advice please! 😕

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been through this many times. Usually, when I got back from the spaying I left them in the carrier until they were more awake and then released them. They will find a place to hide from predators. I have also kept them in a large dog crate which you might borrow from someone, or in a garage for a couple of days. Get her spayed! She would be so much happier not having to fight off all those toms and would be healthier too. Raising endless litters of kittens takes a toll. I had one little female that had seventeen kittens in one year, you would be overrun with cats and your husband would not like that either! After observing raccoons and cats feeding together for years, the raccoons usually do not bother the cats other than to push them aside for food. The fighting you hear is usually between the raccoons, they scream loudly! For a week or so, until she is healed, you could provide some cheap dog food for the raccoons so they wouldn't fight her for food. I did have one cat killed by raccoons, but that is rare, they usually go after small kittens. You could get a small dog house near/on your porch for her, mine have a heated pad for the winter. Please get her spayed so you all can be happier!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been through this many times. Usually, when I got back from the spaying I left them in the carrier until they were more awake and then released them. They will find a place to hide from predators. I have also kept them in a large dog crate which you might borrow from someone, or in a garage for a couple of days. Get her spayed! She would be so much happier not having to fight off all those toms and would be healthier too. Raising endless litters of kittens takes a toll. I had one little female that had seventeen kittens in one year, you would be overrun with cats and your husband would not like that either! After observing raccoons and cats feeding together for years, the raccoons usually do not bother the cats other than to push them aside for food. The fighting you hear is usually between the raccoons, they scream loudly! For a week or so, until she is healed, you could provide some cheap dog food for the raccoons so they wouldn't fight her for food. I did have one cat killed by raccoons, but that is rare, they usually go after small kittens. You could get a small dog house near/on your porch for her, mine have a heated pad for the winter. Please get her spayed so you all can be happier!
Well, now I have a male kitty that won’t leave her alone and now she’s very skittish toward coming to me. He is causing the trouble with the racoons I believe because his fur was all over the back porch. Any advice on getting the male kitty away?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'll hang around as long as she's not spayed. If you can get him neutered through the TNR program too that would help.

Can you keep her in your garage for a couple days? It's usually best for females to have a few days to recuperate. But if not, she should be fine if you release her the next morning. Just make sure she's fully awake before you release her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was able to capture the male cat this morning and took him in to be neutered. Our local shelter is so awesome! I have decided to get a large crate and keep her in the garage to recoup. I just need to catch her now! She’s been skittish since that male cat has been around. Thank you for your information!!! ♥