Getting eyedrops into a cat who doesn't want them

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Pierre has a little eye infection. Nothing major, vet wasn't too worried about it but gave me some eyedrops for him.  He will NOT let me put them in his eyes. Even if I try to be sneaky about it, as soon as he gets a suspicion, he's up off my lap like a jack-in-the-box.

He is the kind of cat that doesn't like to be picked up or held too tightly, so it's pretty impossible to get him in a position where I could physically make him sit still for long enough.

Any suggestions for how I can get these drops into his eyes?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Assuming you don't have another person there to hold him, it might be easiest to put him on a high surface like a table, use one hand to grasp his head from behind and gently pull back the skin above his eye to keep it open and the other to apply the drops.

The alternative is to wrap him in a towel and sit him on your lap. You hold the towel around the kitten with one hand, then use the pinky of your other hand to very gently lift the eyelid and your index finger and thumb to squeeze the bottle.

It takes some practice (and contortionist's skills!), but it's doable. He's going to fight you at first, but he'll forgive you, especially if he gets a treat afterwards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'm not sure I'll be able to get a towel around him either, but I'll try!

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My moms doll faced persian was like that. The key is getting the srops into the corner of the eye. Does he like his eyes rubbed? Thats ho2 i always started. Id rubbed the. Krners of the eyes with a soft cloth and they usually lived that then rested the drops near the corner of the eye and applied.

Having said this, i do work with animals and have had to administer drops to the worst of them. Heck, my horse was easier to give eye drops too!![emoji]128521[/emoji]

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
can you put him on the floor and kneel behind him? then you are above his head-you can use your legs to keep him from scooting backwards then one hand to rub his chin to get him to raise his face to you and do the drops with the other hand.

I have one cat who is a squirmy wormy and it took 2 of us to hold her-one to hold her body and paws so she don't scratch me and my hand to raise her head and the other hand to give the meds.

I couldn't find a picture of how I do it but this photo shows the cat wrapped up in the towel-this is how I sit when I give pills or eye drops. basicly your body keeps them from running away. maybe this will help?