Getting Charged By Dogs

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aggressively charged = a large stick, a stun gun, fire into the air. I've never had to do more than fire into the air, thank God.
"Charged" (scared, lost dog rushing in a panic to a human that looks friendly and has other dogs and therefore might be safer than being alone)...slip lead in my pocket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't mind the scared charging ones, just the aggressive ones. Have you ever had to use a large stick? I worry it'll just end up as a game of tug I'm going to lose. I've been thinking about a taser since I can't find out if a cattle prod is legal, but I don't want to hurt the dog too bad.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ordered a taser. According to reviews, the sound it makes is terrifying enough to make dogs tuck tail and run for the hills. If they still try to attack my dog, well, zappy zappy. Apparently, it still has a good bit of charge for a few seconds after it's been turned off, so it doesn't even need to be on to make someone (or something) regret their decision.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind the scared charging ones, just the aggressive ones. Have you ever had to use a large stick? I worry it'll just end up as a game of tug I'm going to lose. I've been thinking about a taser since I can't find out if a cattle prod is legal, but I don't want to hurt the dog too bad.
The stick is an extension, and most dogs shy away from a large object you have in your hand used to block your body/your dog, etc. For seriously aggressive dogs, they would probably dodge or grab.
Stun guns make a nice sharp electric noise but unfortunately you can't do anything about the dog until it's on top of you/injuring you or your dogs.
Bear mace can work, as does a product called "direct stop" but the issue is using this if you're facing the wind. You'll mace yourself =/

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate the thought of hurting dogs too, but if I were walking one of my dogs and a Corso and a Pit Bull surrounded us, backing us into a fence, odds are the dogs would have left bloody had they threatened my animal. I hate hurting dogs, but (like you) won't stand by and let my own dog be shredded because I don't want to hurt the neighbors aggressive animal.
I cannot stand off leash dogs in residential areas, especially when they pack up like this with ill intent. Unless the dogs accidentally got out and the owners will keep them contained, the owners of these dogs are idiots. I'd report them if you haven't already, it might not do any good but if everyone that comes across these dogs harasses AC nonstop they might do something about it.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never get warning time with the big dogs in this neighborhood, so things that have to be up close work fine. It's always situations like a dog jumping out of a window (yep, it happened), running out an open door and being right in front of us before I can yell "get your dogs," or turning a corner and there's suddenly a dog. It would be nice if I got a couple seconds to prepare myself.

I haven't seen any sign of the dogs since, so maybe they don't even live there. Animal control won't do anything. The sheriff's office is in charge of it, and the sheriff that was in the neighborhood had his dog loose all the time. Roosters also aren't allowed in the neighborhood, but there's a rooster. He's very vocal. And lives very close to where tge sheriff lived (lives? Maybe temporarily gone for renovations? Idk.) But if I ever do see those dogs again without a leash, I'm calling animal control then and there. Or, if the sheriff is back, knocking on his/her door.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy cow, what a situation.
If worse comes to worse, there's always this option. It looks silly but if a large dog would grab your dogs neck or mid section it'd pay off and it might lessen your worry for his safety.
CoyoteVest Pet Body Armor

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Holy cow that's a serious vest! I don't think the situation is quite that bad, but I'll keep that vest in mind. He just barely fits the size for the large. I'm tempted by their collars though. I've thought about getting him a heavy duty molle tactical harness for a little extra safety. I could Velcro on coyote spikes to the sides...hmmm...

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was thinking something along these lines

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy cow that's a serious vest! I don't think the situation is quite that bad, but I'll keep that vest in mind. He just barely fits the size for the large. I'm tempted by their collars though. I've thought about getting him a heavy duty molle tactical harness for a little extra safety. I could Velcro on coyote spikes to the sides...hmmm...
Just don't buy this collar if you're in the habit of grabbing your dogs collar for extra control LOL!
I'm sure you could fashion something if the situation gets bad. I would use this on a teeny tiny dog that was routinely a predator threat though.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never grab his collar on walks! I would be in danger of getting rammed in the leg with it though. That would hurt. He's definitely big enough not to be bird or coyote food, he's just not big enough to intimidate Pit Bulls, Corsos, or the huge mutt that jumped out of a window. The mutt was quite the problem child. We avoid half the town because of that dog. When it went through the window it was going after a Pit Bull that was hanging out on a leash in it's own front yard (raised about 4-5 feet off the ground) that was so chill I didn't even notice it was there. Within seconds the dog was out the window, across the street, jumped up on the Pit Bull's lawn, saw us, spun around, and went for Beast. It wasn't as aggressive as the Corso though. Not friendly but also not ready to immediately disembowl us.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never grab his collar on walks! I would be in danger of getting rammed in the leg with it though. That would hurt. He's definitely big enough not to be bird or coyote food, he's just not big enough to intimidate Pit Bulls, Corsos, or the huge mutt that jumped out of a window. The mutt was quite the problem child. We avoid half the town because of that dog. When it went through the window it was going after a Pit Bull that was hanging out on a leash in it's own front yard (raised about 4-5 feet off the ground) that was so chill I didn't even notice it was there. Within seconds the dog was out the window, across the street, jumped up on the Pit Bull's lawn, saw us, spun around, and went for Beast. It wasn't as aggressive as the Corso though. Not friendly but also not ready to immediately disembowl us.
I made a bad decision and took a 6 month old puppy on a hike once. About 40 minutes in, we came across two off leash dogs, charging, and barking like mad while the hapless owner stood there (STOOD there, not trying to contain their dogs at all) and I lunged in front of the pup, stomped my foot, and screamed "GET YOUR DAMN DOGS UNDER CONTROL". It scared the dogs more than the owner.
I'm pretty sure that owner, if asked about me, would be convinced I was someone high on LSD. I take no prisoners when the safety of my tribe comes into play and I don't give a crap if I hurt anyones feelings.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why don't owners even try? Why? I don't understand. I hope your pup wasn't traumatized at all.

I try to avoid other dogs on walks as much as possible. Beast doesn't like them, I don't trust them, so the second we see any dog, chihuahuas included, we try to get as far away as possible. This has deeply offended a few people and they yell and scream that there's nothing wrong with their dog, I'm rude, I need to apologize, etc. Beast does not take kindly to someone yelling at me and does a very good job at making his relatively little (40 lb) self look as scary as possible. These owners are always the ones with a tiny dog, so I ask them politely, with the biggest smile I can muster, if they would like to arrange for my dog to eat theirs. I used to try and use words like "reactive" and "aggressive," but after getting asked what those words mean, I gave up. Most people seem to understand the concept of their dog being eaten and it keeps them quiet and away from us. When certain people get super pushy I just toss a muzzle on Beast for a couple walks and make sure to use his name loudly. They change their walking times after we do that.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't owners even try? Why? I don't understand. I hope your pup wasn't traumatized at all.

I try to avoid other dogs on walks as much as possible. Beast doesn't like them, I don't trust them, so the second we see any dog, chihuahuas included, we try to get as far away as possible. This has deeply offended a few people and they yell and scream that there's nothing wrong with their dog, I'm rude, I need to apologize, etc. Beast does not take kindly to someone yelling at me and does a very good job at making his relatively little (40 lb) self look as scary as possible. These owners are always the ones with a tiny dog, so I ask them politely, with the biggest smile I can muster, if they would like to arrange for my dog to eat theirs. I used to try and use words like "reactive" and "aggressive," but after getting asked what those words mean, I gave up. Most people seem to understand the concept of their dog being eaten and it keeps them quiet and away from us. When certain people get super pushy I just toss a muzzle on Beast for a couple walks and make sure to use his name loudly. They change their walking times after we do that.
Pup wasn't traumatized and grew into one of the most stable and sure footed dogs that could handle themselves in any situation that I've ever had the pleasure of being around. He was superb.
I'd had this pup a full 2 months or so during this happening. I think the stomping did scare him, but didn't traumatize. I selected this pup because of his long pedigree of superior nerves (no nervousness or nerviness) and it paid off.

Since we're so rural avoiding dogs is usually a non issue, but when it happens (unless it's an obviously distressed lost dog) I repeat...take no prisoners.
It's not just our dogs, but our outdoor cats....livestock...or ourselves being threatened on our own property. One single success in freaking people out, or one single aninal kill brings them back and it's infuriating to me that idiots let their pets wander because rural living = freedom for dogs that IMO need containment or a permanent dirt nap.
(I know to some this sounds terrible, but live really, REALLY rural for a few years, have your cats or pets or livestock shredded to bits by roaming dogs...then complain about my stance!)
Friend of mine, ex poultry farmer, had two roaming pet dogs routinely killing his livestock. The farmer told the owners, "contain your dogs or I will shoot them." Owners did not contain the dogs.
He shot the dogs after they sent a neighboring farmer into his own haymow for his own safety and losing several of his birds. Idiot people wouldn't contain their dogs...despite the warnings that Mr. and Mrs. Idiot didn't heed, he shot them and delivered them on the owners doorstep in body bags.
Sounds horrible and insensitive and stuff but when people let their dogs loose and kill livestock, other people's pets and harass and terrify people (especially small children and the elderly) and create a huge stir, the only fault lies on the owner but the dogs pay the price. And if the owner are informed, but refuse to listen, they have no tears in these happenings. Harass living things, ignore warnings, find your pets dead...don't cry about it as you were warned your animals were/are vicious!

Last edited:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your pup wasn't traumatized! He sounds like a fabulous creature.

It's sad that animals have to pay for humans being stupid. I mean it's one thing to have a dog get out once. Accidents happen, whatever. But to let them continue to wreak havoc, killing and tormenting things, and preferring to let them be killed instead of containing them is screwed up.

It's going to be interesting the first time I tell someone "get your dog before I tase (taze?) it."

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your pup wasn't traumatized! He sounds like a fabulous creature.

It's sad that animals have to pay for humans being stupid. I mean it's one thing to have a dog get out once. Accidents happen, whatever. But to let them continue to wreak havoc, killing and tormenting things, and preferring to let them be killed instead of containing them is screwed up.

It's going to be interesting the first time I tell someone "get your dog before I tase (taze?) it."
He really was an amazing guy. I miss him every day after all these years.
We've had stray dogs show up. Only VERY rarely has there been issues. One day a few of our biggest guard-type dogs were barking up a storm (sure sign that something isn't right) and the culprit was a friendly Labrador wearing a collar with a phone number on his tags. Inside he went with us, called up a nice man who came and got his dog immediately. Turns out the kids accidentally left the garage open. He traveled a good distance.
Another time another Labrador showed up. He wasn't aggressive, wasn't after any living thing, but was terrified enough that reading his expression and how he sat facing me, not moving, made me not want to reach for him. No collar, nothing and I didn't want to scare him off by trying to get a slip lead over his head. Called AC, they came out and managed to get him. I sure hope he found his owners.
Oh, and someone who knows what breeds we have stopped by with a dog of the same breed and opened their car door and said, "I brought your dog back". Out came a dog we'd never seen before. No ID, no chip, no tattoo, no nothing, no lost ads, no vets or shelters had a missing dog to report....so we kept him.
We did have an issue with a roaming German Shep and a Dalmatian that liked to chase but not kill livestock. Still. I don't know who owned these dogs. They showed up twice, and haven't seen them since so I can assume it was accidental.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's a pretty good way to get a new dog! I don't understand why people don't put identification on their dogs. Do they not want it back if it takes off? At least microchip it. It's not that expensive.

Every time I move I try to learn where all the dogs live, what kind of personality they have, what the dog's job is (or what job the dog has given itself), and what kind of owner they have. Last night just as I left the house to walk Beast the new neighbor's dog ran past us, clearly on a mission to explore. That dog doesn't care about people or other dogs. It's just an athletic, high energy dog that wants to stretch its legs and never gets to because the owners never walk it. It doesn't even have a collar. We checked their gate and sure enough, it was open. Their little bulldog puppy, who is nothing more than a ball of wrinkles at this point, was sitting by the front door like a good boy. I didn't think anyone was home so I planned to put the puppy back in the yard, leave a note on the door, and go catch the big one. I put Beast away, grabbed a spare leash, and just as I left my house I saw the big one run over to check on the puppy then take off again. A baby started screaming in the house so yay, someone was home. A guy answered the door and I told him which direction the big one went and that the bulldog was now sitting by the gate. He just said, "yea he never goes anywhere." He also gave me a weird look, like it's odd that I should know the dogs are his and give a damn that they're loose. So how often does this happen? Do these people regularly not close their gate and let the dogs run? The big one doesn't seem to be a danger to anyone, but we live right next to a major highway. There's always blood splattered on my car from all the roadkill (I've seen far too many cats). No bueno. At least collar your dogs so their bodies can be identified when they get turned into pancakes.

If dogs get out once, even if they're kinda jerks, accidents happen. I know if my dog ever gets out he's going to be an ass. He doesn't look like it, but he's a seriously good guard dog. Must be that whopping 12% German Shepherd in him. He protects the house, the yard, and me. That's his job. He doesn't trust strangers, doesn't like kids (but neither do I so I can't blame him), and doesn't like dogs. He's never ever ever ever ever allowed off leash and I'm obsessive about doors and gates. He's petrified of loud noises though, so he really wouldn't be hard to scare off. The people I took him from (I didn't ask, I just took and they didn't care) beat him regularly, so he's terrified of anyone holding a single shoe, a towel, or a hose. If he got out there's a good chance he would probably sniff his way to the wild blackberries, get a thorn stuck in his paw, and lay there crying until I found him and carried him inside. He's a big baby.

In other news, I discovered today while washing my car that another one of the newer neighbors is a cop! Highway patrol, but a cop is a cop. I waved, he waved back (and seemed confused by my waving. Sorry for trying to be a friendly neighbor I guess...), seemed nice enough. Not sure if he has a dog. I can't remember if his house is the one with the insanely reactive German Shepherd. I didn't want to bug him in case he was on his lunch break, but next time I see him I'm going to ask about cattle prods. Even though I bought a taser (which should be here Tuesday), I'm still curious. I'm also going to ask what the frick is up with this county and dogs running around everywhere. It's ridiculous.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a pretty good way to get a new dog! I don't understand why people don't put identification on their dogs. Do they not want it back if it takes off? At least microchip it. It's not that expensive.

Every time I move I try to learn where all the dogs live, what kind of personality they have, what the dog's job is (or what job the dog has given itself), and what kind of owner they have. Last night just as I left the house to walk Beast the new neighbor's dog ran past us, clearly on a mission to explore. That dog doesn't care about people or other dogs. It's just an athletic, high energy dog that wants to stretch its legs and never gets to because the owners never walk it. It doesn't even have a collar. We checked their gate and sure enough, it was open. Their little bulldog puppy, who is nothing more than a ball of wrinkles at this point, was sitting by the front door like a good boy. I didn't think anyone was home so I planned to put the puppy back in the yard, leave a note on the door, and go catch the big one. I put Beast away, grabbed a spare leash, and just as I left my house I saw the big one run over to check on the puppy then take off again. A baby started screaming in the house so yay, someone was home. A guy answered the door and I told him which direction the big one went and that the bulldog was now sitting by the gate. He just said, "yea he never goes anywhere." He also gave me a weird look, like it's odd that I should know the dogs are his and give a damn that they're loose. So how often does this happen? Do these people regularly not close their gate and let the dogs run? The big one doesn't seem to be a danger to anyone, but we live right next to a major highway. There's always blood splattered on my car from all the roadkill (I've seen far too many cats). No bueno. At least collar your dogs so their bodies can be identified when they get turned into pancakes.

If dogs get out once, even if they're kinda jerks, accidents happen. I know if my dog ever gets out he's going to be an ass. He doesn't look like it, but he's a seriously good guard dog. Must be that whopping 12% German Shepherd in him. He protects the house, the yard, and me. That's his job. He doesn't trust strangers, doesn't like kids (but neither do I so I can't blame him), and doesn't like dogs. He's never ever ever ever ever allowed off leash and I'm obsessive about doors and gates. He's petrified of loud noises though, so he really wouldn't be hard to scare off. The people I took him from (I didn't ask, I just took and they didn't care) beat him regularly, so he's terrified of anyone holding a single shoe, a towel, or a hose. If he got out there's a good chance he would probably sniff his way to the wild blackberries, get a thorn stuck in his paw, and lay there crying until I found him and carried him inside. He's a big baby.

In other news, I discovered today while washing my car that another one of the newer neighbors is a cop! Highway patrol, but a cop is a cop. I waved, he waved back (and seemed confused by my waving. Sorry for trying to be a friendly neighbor I guess...), seemed nice enough. Not sure if he has a dog. I can't remember if his house is the one with the insanely reactive German Shepherd. I didn't want to bug him in case he was on his lunch break, but next time I see him I'm going to ask about cattle prods. Even though I bought a taser (which should be here Tuesday), I'm still curious. I'm also going to ask what the frick is up with this county and dogs running around everywhere. It's ridiculous.
Several of our dogs are mush with people and will court them briefly, then ignore them, which baffles a lot of people, LOL. One sport dog in particular (not actively working in anything, just a fun sport dog) goes INSANE over new people and will scream, shake, leap around like they've met their new BFF, then immediately stare at us like ".....you're not going to let them take me away, are you?" It's hilarious. This dog is such a lovable dweeb but he's an excellent sport dog and ignores new people when we're in the ring, which is great!!
A few of the guardy dogs like anyone who isn't a threat. They don't fawn but they greet them like "hey bruh, you're good", but go on guard if that person is acting a little funny (a trait I prefer), and a few others I/we've had over the years I wouldn't trust with any stranger (a trait I dislike).
It's so breed dependent. If my Golden Retriever (which I don't own) growled at strangers I'd be concerned, but if my working Maremma or Anatolian did, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned. And age dependent, young dogs sometimes go through this weird period where everything in life is really scary and you just work through it with them.

What's weird is a few of our stand offish cats in the larger colony that are nice enough but never really bonded with us will take to new people like they're meant to be together forever. I watched a visitor (fellow cat lover) being courted by our weirdest, most un-friendly and un-personable cat and was kind of dumbfounded and my heart skipped a beat when this visitor leaned down and grasped the cat in a bear hug. Before I could yell "YOU'RE GOING TO GET BIT" the cat rolled around happily and began purring...
It makes me kind of sad. It's not that we didn't try, but with the colony that large I assume competition is higher (6, which isn't huge, but for pet cats vs. ferals that can handle their own, I bet it's different.)

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My dog has met an entire 2 people that he loved instantly. Only 2. Everyone else requires an extensive introduction period. I like that though because I'm alone a lot and I always walk him alone. There have been a few occasions where a guy has come at me in an unfriendly way while walking Beast, and he's made them back off and never come at me again without even making any physical contact. Everyone thinks he's just this little lab puppy they can knock around, not realizing that 1) he's not a puppy, and 2) he takes threats seriously. When I first brought him home my senior year of high school everyone worried about me walking alone, but now no one in my family worries at all because they know no one can touch me with him around. He's a good little woofer. Tonight he's coming with me to put gas in the car. Driving gives me horrible anxiety and gas stations make me want to die. I need gas though, so I'm going later in the hopes that it's not busy. His little self is going to be on guard duty.

My brother recently got a German Shepherd puppy from a super sketchy breeder without doing any research first and I'm super concerned the dog is going to be a mess. I'm pushing training and socialization on him as hard as I can but he's already had it like a month and he's just now listening to be about training. It's a good thing he lives states away otherwise he would be begging me to train his puppy. He already asked once if I could come train it for him. He wants instant gratification and doesn't realize that's not how it works. So worried about his dog.

I don't suppose the visitor decided to take in the un-friendly feral?

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My dog, Mondo, and I were recently attacked in our neighborhood by a mastiff-type dog. My dog is a very large Siberian Husky who only bit back after the attacker bit my arm. I fell to the ground (I'm a small woman,) but mondo lunged at the other dog, truly this time, and scared him away. Not before I had to get him some stitches on his ear and (at the vets assistance,) get the rabies vaccine since our animal control is useless. The course of rabies vaccine was more annoying than the puncture wounds, but I was livid that this dog hurt Mondo.
I can't explain CA logic to you, either, but I got a taser myself, as well. It's actually made for self defense and one of my elderly customers keeps one in her purse for this purpose. I figure it can be dual purpose since I live in a rural area, and work in a city. I am really uncomfortable with the idea of accidentally shocking myself (although our state doesn't give you very many options.) I've seen the dog that attacked us a couple of times in my car, and called animal control again - all to no avail. Once, it had a broken piece of rope around its neck, the other time it was a collar with handle. No such luck when it came after me, it had no collar.

I'm moving soon, and worry about the ferals I've been feeding, especially some kittens near where we were attacked. I haven't gotten anywhere close to them, just fed them and watched from afar as they ate it, but I hope to trap them before I leave.

I share your anger about the loose dogs here, as well as many if your concerns (even those about the roosters!) I hope your bobtail is ok, and second that I'd look the other way for a catnapping!

Last edited: