Getting Charged By Dogs

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What are your experiences getting charged by dogs? What's your absolute worst experience? How did you handle it?

I walk Beast (my dog) every single night, so we've encountered many, many dogs. I try to avoid them if I can, but sometimes I don't see them soon enough or there's just no other direction to go. The most frequent are the angry little ankle biters, but those guys are easy to ignore and walk away from. There's also the dogs that are allowed to roam off leash because the owners insist they're friendly when their body language usually says something completely different. I usually tell these owners to get their dog before I pepper spray it or before I let mine after it. Of course, neither of those would happen unless their dog attacked mine, but I'm aware of better methods than pepper spray to break up a fight. Then there are the scariest ones, which are the big ones with no owner in sight. It's rare that we get charged by a happy, wiggly, friendly little monster. The only times we've ever gotten attacked by wiggles and kisses is by pit bulls, which is why what happened tonight was so startling.

We walked up a street we've walked every night for the last 8 1/2 months, and I saw a little jack russell head poke out of a front porch across the street. Little dog, who cares. I live in a historic town that was recently sold to a new lumber company after the original one went out of business, and they've been kicking out the renters, fixing up the houses, and selling them. A lot of the people moving in have dogs. This street had been emptied and was in the process of being redone, so I figured these people had recently moved in and I would have to make a note to watch out for the new angry little dog on this street (I have to avoid another street because of a dog that's jumped out of a window after us 3 times). The jack russell took off after us and I was surprised to see that it was huge. I don't know if it was massively fat or massively pregnant because it became the least of my concern when a cane corso and a pit bull ran out of the house and charged us. Pit bulls are usually the friendly ones, but this un-neutered male was certainly not. The rule I give myself when I'm suddenly in a bad situation is that I get half a second to go "oh s***," then I need to get it together and figure it out. Since so many dogs have run at us, I've kind of developed a system to quickly read the situation so I know whether to ignore it, sweet talk it and toss it treats to get away, talk calmly so it'll lose interest, or show it that I mean business. These dogs both had their tails docked too short to tell anything from that, and ears cropped short so all I could tell is that the ears were angled forward. They were growling, very tense, noses wrinkled, absolutely zero friendly dog signs of any kind. Their aggression wasn't directed towards me, just Beast. When the dogs aren't a huge threat Beast stays next to me for the encounter. This time he tried to block me. We were stuck against a fence, blocked in by all 3. I always carry pepper spray but I didn't want to make them angrier. When they started to close in really tight and the corso went for Beast's side, I gave my firmest and loudest "No," while kneeing the corso firmly and effectively keeping its teeth off my dog. Probably not the best choice, but no one is going to hurt my baby boy. That could have made the situation worse, but thankfully it didn't. I hate hurting dogs. I hate it. But Beast comes first, and the dog didn't even flinch, it just paused, shook itself, and moved away a little bit. My knee still hurts. The corso's left back half was torn up pretty bad, so I'm not quite sure what's going on there. Maybe it was a female mated to the male pit and he's super aggressive while mating. Maybe the owners (like many people around here) beat their dogs. I don't know. The pit bull and my dog were locked in a staring contest and posturing to the best of their abilities (the pit was absolutely massive, and my dog is only 40 lbs but he thinks he's a mastiff). The pit was still growling, and when it took a step forward I again put myself between him and my dog, telling him firmly to "Go" while stepping forward, forcing him to back up unless he wanted to be stepped on or felt like attacking me to get to my dog. I know Beast well, and if another dog tries to dominate him he's more than ready to fight. Thankfully, the pit turned away and headed back across the street. I was so angry. The door to the house they came out of was open. There were a truck and a car in the front. People were home and didn't come get their dogs. Even when we made it up the street the dogs were still in the front yard. I've heard of many situations where owners can't control their dogs, so when it goes after something they don't do anything because they can't get it back. Why do you even have dogs then? What if I had had a timid, tiny little dog that would be an easy chew toy? What if instead of me, it was one of the families that walk the dogs together with the kids and the babies (thankfully none were out tonight)? What if someone couldn't read the situation at all (not that I had the best reaction in the world. I would prefer to do it differently, but I hope there's never an encounter to require it) and thought running would be a good idea?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gracious sakes!!

In years previous I've been able to help rescue a few loose/lost dogs on the smaller side of the size scale and even one big gentle giant bless his soul. Now, Nextdoor is mostly the tool of choice for that, plus there are lot fewer dogs running loose here.
However, one night I heard something, grabbed a walking stick, opened the yard gate to the front yard, and was engulfed by two inquisitive boxers. Their owner was sitting on her front porch and called them back home.
That was crazy but for scary, another night I had the garage door open and two big malamute/German Shepherd crosses ran down the sidewalk out front. If they had detected me, it could have gotten ugly in an instant because they had that distinct look of "pack hunting "...

Do you know for certain that is the big dogs' home? If you haven't already, can you call authorities, especially since one is injured?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They ran out of the front door so I'm pretty sure it was their house. If it wasn't, the people probably locked themselves in rooms when the dogs came in. I'm planning to drive by today and hopefully get the address. If the cane corso was another in-netuered male it's probably torn up from fighting with the pit bull, who was most definitely the alpha. If it's a female it could be mating injuries. I like to hope they aren't using a rape rack. Although, they did dock the lot's tail, which most people don't do, so I don't have high hopes for these people. If they are new to the neighborhood I'm going to have a serious conversation with the owners if I ever see them around. It doesn't take me long to figure out where all the new dogs are and what kind of owners they have. The biggest issue is going to be telling apart all the large grey and white pit bulls in the neighborhood. It's hard to tell which are the nice ones from a distance when they all look the same. There was a Sheriff that lived in the neighborhood, and even his/her large bulldog got out all the time. I really worry for all the outdoor cats. Since there's gaps under all the houses they have places to hide, but they have to outrun the dogs first.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the address! To add to the stress, I just found out Bobtail kitty (a friendly little cat on my street) had a baby! She's so tiny, she can't even be a year old. Her kitten is big enough that it's following her around and its eyes are a very pretty green. I brought her some dry food (it's all I have since I feed raw now, not canned) and she and the kitten inhaled it. She's super friendly, and after winning the kitten over with food it stopped running from me. They're both too skinny. I thought a house on the corner was theirs, but maybe they just like the yard because it's fully fenced. It had a dog napping in it so I couldn't go knock on the door. I'm going to ask every person I see if they know who her owner is. If I find the owners I'll offer to help them find a low-cost spay and neuter clinic, and if I can't find an owner I'll catch them both (it'll be ridiculously easy) and take them to a good rescue. Bobtail kitty is too friendly for her own good though! What if one of the dogs makes it over to this side of the town? It's a tiny town. So tiny. There are neighborhoods bigger than this town. She's a good mama, super alert and growling at anything suspicious, so I'm sure she would try to fight a dog to save her baby.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's scary:eek: A few years ago a resident down the hall from me had two medium sized dogs (no idea what breed but it wasn't a common one). One night I went out to take the trash to the trash chute. The resident lives right near the trash chute and came out of her unit with her dogs. I was probably about 10 feet away. The dogs immediately started snarling and growling and lunging at me :shocked: I started backing down the hall slowly. The woman made NO attempt to control her dogs other than to pull on their leashes and drag them towards the elevator. She didn't even say anything to me or to the dogs. I continue to back down the hallway until I heard the woman go into the elevator with her dogs. After I tossed the trash down the chute and went back to my unit, I immediately fired off an email to the property manager to inform her of the incident. I followed up with her in the office the next day. It's in the condo rules that dogs must be kept under control at all times and they can't cause a nuisance or be threatening in any way to other residents. I'm pretty sure the property manager contacted that woman and made it clear that the dogs need to be controlled. I'm sure I'm not the only person who complained about those dogs. One golden retriever was petrified of those dogs. The woman and her dogs moved out a year or so later. Now the unit is occupied by a couple who recently got a sweet black lab :D

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard a lot of dog people say they carry a cattle prod if they live somewhere with a lot of mean loose dogs. You might have to check if electric devices are legal in your area, but it's less severe than pepper spray, and sometimes they back off if you zap the prod without touching them, just from the sound.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 that's scary! I can't stand people who don't even try. They could at least pretend to care.

W Willowy that's a really good idea! Thank you!

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why thank you! Now I just have to find out if they have owners. The house I think it might be has a pitbull (grey and white, of course) and a doberman, so I'll have to be careful. I've never seen their dogs loose or their gate left open so there's that. I saw a truck out front, I just need a person to come out.

I'm not sure who to report the other dogs to. This place doesn't have a true animal control office so any clear abuse I've seen I've reported to the rescuses that have that option.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
A dog trainer once told me the best thing to do is teach your dog a good sit, stay. Put him in a sit, then you run toward the dog clapping and waving your hands and yelling. The dogs will usually stop and turn around. But your dog has to be able to stay behind you. You can also make a dog let go of its grip by choking it and cutting off it air. If you kick it in the throat or put it in a headlock or hang it by its leash, it will let go of its grip if it cant breath. My dog was attacked a couple of times and he is a small dog, so I have to know how to get him out of a dogs mouth if need be.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A dog trainer once told me the best thing to do is teach your dog a good sit, stay. Put him in a sit, then you run toward the dog clapping and waving your hands and yelling. The dogs will usually stop and turn around. But your dog has to be able to stay behind you. You can also make a dog let go of its grip by choking it and cutting off it air. If you kick it in the throat or put it in a headlock or hang it by its leash, it will let go of its grip if it cant breath. My dog was attacked a couple of times and he is a small dog, so I have to know how to get him out of a dogs mouth if need be.
I hope your little guy is ok! If I see the dog ahead of time we're fine. It's not too hard to switch their fight drive to defense and retreat. The issues only happen when there's suddenly a dog (or dogs) and there's no time to do anything. From the time I noticed the Jack Russell to when we were cornered was only a couple seconds. Just long enough to think "that dog is so fat" and then "oh crap."

I took a peek down the street the dogs were on (from very, very far away) to see if the truck was there and it wasn't. The street was empty except for one car that hasn't run in months and I'm pretty sure got abandoned. I think the people were either moving in or moving out. Hopefully out.

While I walked my dog I checked on Bobtail and the kitten. They were huddled up under a car. I hung out around that area like a creep waiting for a person to come outside. There was a toddler in the yard with the pit bull pup completely alone, with a lawnmower and tools around it could have hurt itself on. When the toddler fell on the stairs and screamed I saw a pair of legs finally come out of the house. Turned out to be a teenage boy. Bobtail and the kitten are theirs. They don't want help finding a clinic. They don't care that she could already be pregnant again. I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to find the adults and talk to them. It's tempting to just take them to a shelter so they'll at least get fixed. But that would be cat napping and I think that's frowned upon in most areas. On the bright side, Bobtail will take on anyone to protect her baby. We had to get near the car she was under to talk to the guy, and she ran out all puffed up and growling, fully ready to attack Beast if we didn't leave asap.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please catnap, I won't tell. I'm scared to death for the two of them! Mommy is beautiful!

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't see Bobtail kitty or her baby outside today. Hopefully, they took me asking questions as a hint to bring them indoors (juhuhyj - my cat walked across the keyboard. I'm not sure what she means by this but I assume it's something along the lines of "if you bring one more animal home I swear I'll pee on your bed for the rest of eternity"). If I see them again I'll give them more food and water, and if the baby gets much skinnier I'm cat napping and taking it to a rescue.

The house the dogs came out of still has no car in front of it. I'm really not sure if anyone is living there anymore. There's a flower pot hanging on the porch, but it's not unusual for people to leave their porch decorations when they move out. Once the workers get to that house all leftover decor will be removed, blinds pulled up, steps probably torn off and rebuilt. The house next to it is being worked on, so it shouldn't be long before I know for sure. In all honesty, with the way this sucky place works no one would do anything about the dogs anyway.

On the walk today we encountered a friendly dachshund mix wandering around. It was nice, submissive, calm. It had no collar so all I could do was wish it luck. A little girl was walking around clearly looking for something a little while later so perhaps it was her dog. It was on one of the worse streets in the town and many people have broken fences that they never fix (there's one, in particular, that was patched up with tires and flower pots), so loose dogs are common. I wouldn't have walked on that street at all but I saw a cat have a near miss with a car and I wanted to make sure it was still all in one piece. The terrifying fluffy monster cat that used to guard a fence on that street wasn't there. I hope a dog didn't get him.

Beast's annual summer hotspot on his left leg is back :( I put ointment on it and wrap it up, but then he just licks the wrap excessively. I wonder if it could be stress related because it happened right after the incident with the dogs (I'm positive it's not a bite. It's the same thing he gets every year in the same place) and summer is when we always have the most run-ins with dogs. It's certainly not heat related because where we live now rarely makes it to 80.

Last edited:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard a lot of dog people say they carry a cattle prod if they live somewhere with a lot of mean loose dogs. You might have to check if electric devices are legal in your area, but it's less severe than pepper spray, and sometimes they back off if you zap the prod without touching them, just from the sound.
I was going to suggest the same thing. They don't have to be big, and they aren't on all the time. Lots of different types. I know dogs really respect electric fences once they have been zapped. Unlike pepper spray most dogs will not react aggressively to being shocked. They back away from it.
So, it doesn't want to show my link, just look it up on Amazon. They have them.
A touch on the nose with that will be a lesson remembered.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
California allows you to carry tasers and I can't find any mention of cattle prods being specifically forbidden, so I don't see why I couldn't use one. I also live in cattle country so any feed store (of which there are many) will have a bunch. Maybe I'll start with a big stick until I go cattle prod shopping.

Will someone please explain California logic to me? Why is it legal to carry any kind is taser but not a baton? A solid piece of wood or metal piping can hurt as much as a baton.