Getting Cats Used to Eating In Traps

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can anyone show me a picture or describe how to tie the trap or make it so that it won't close when I put food in for the cats? I want them to get used to eating in the traps before I actually set them. Right now, they're not going anywhere near them, and I've used tuna and sardines and I also sprinkled catnip around. No luck.

CL56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What kind of trap are you using ?

Once you get it tied up you could try starting with placing the food right at the door and then moving it a little further back each time until the food is at the back.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some people prop the door open with a soda bottle or stick, but that is not the best thing as it might fall and startle or injure the cat, thereby making them afraid to go in again. If you are using a standard Havahart type trap, open the door and wire it to the top with a strong enough piece of wire or twine as to keep it securely open.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have extensive experience trapping since finding a hoarding situation in my home town back in 2016. Hence, my departure from posing here on TCS!!!! Took over my life and still does. TNR/trapped over 40 cats/kittens and any new ones that show up. Use Zip Ties to tie up trap doors and ONLY feed inside the traps. Period. Do this for quite a few day. First placing the bowl in front of the trap, then slide back as the days go on. Make sure trap is under brush/bush or safe, private area near where the cat is normally fed. DO NOT USE cat nip until trap day to really get them excited about the new addition to the safety and comfort of going in and out of the trap.. ONLY use a "stick"/string method to hold up the trap door if you are target trapping a certain cat and one must be swift at pulling the string from a distance only once cat is fully inside trap otherwise, they will back out faster than you can believe. Fancy Feast Fish/Shrimp is a super hit. I ended up having to use a drop trap for my final female in my colony two years ago and it took a few days of me sitting, hiding and waiting patiently to pull that string. Another female, already acclimated to the trap, going in to eat, went quickly inside on vet day with the sprinkling of catnitp. Totally oblivious, rolling around in trap!!! LOL, down went the trap door. I prefer the TRUCATCH 36 cat trap - more roomy and quieter when door slides shut. GOOD LUCK and thank you for doing all you can for feral cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have extensive experience trapping since finding a hoarding situation in my home town back in 2016. Hence, my departure from posing here on TCS!!!! Took over my life and still does. TNR/trapped over 40 cats/kittens and any new ones that show up. Use Zip Ties to tie up trap doors and ONLY feed inside the traps. Period. Do this for quite a few day. First placing the bowl in front of the trap, then slide back as the days go on. Make sure trap is under brush/bush or safe, private area near where the cat is normally fed. DO NOT USE cat nip until trap day to really get them excited about the new addition to the safety and comfort of going in and out of the trap.. ONLY use a "stick"/string method to hold up the trap door if you are target trapping a certain cat and one must be swift at pulling the string from a distance only once cat is fully inside trap otherwise, they will back out faster than you can believe. Fancy Feast Fish/Shrimp is a super hit. I ended up having to use a drop trap for my final female in my colony two years ago and it took a few days of me sitting, hiding and waiting patiently to pull that string. Another female, already acclimated to the trap, going in to eat, went quickly inside on vet day with the sprinkling of catnitp. Totally oblivious, rolling around in trap!!! LOL, down went the trap door. I prefer the TRUCATCH 36 cat trap - more roomy and quieter when door slides shut. GOOD LUCK and thank you for doing all you can for feral cats.
Thank you so much for this feedback! These cats are at my old house and are behaving as ferals. I got one yesterday by sitting long enough beside the crate with food in it. She was finally brave enough to go in. I got her to the vet and she is with me now at my new house. The other two are a different story.....

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some people prop the door open with a soda bottle or stick, but that is not the best thing as it might fall and startle or injure the cat, thereby making them afraid to go in again. If you are using a standard Havahart type trap, open the door and wire it to the top with a strong enough piece of wire or twine as to keep it securely open.
Without a visual, I'm having a hard time with this part. I am using the Havahart trap but am having trouble figuring out a way to secure the door. They really need to get used to eating in there.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are a few styles, but they all appear to have a solid door, which is probably what is confusing.
Trap 1.jpg
Trap 2.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are going to secure the entire door in the way that I did with caution tape (the first thing I found in the drawer), you might use something sturdier that would not sag or tear.
Wiring around the entire door would not be a bad idea.

I use the second pic myself. Put a piece of wire through the slits on the door and wrap it around the cage itself. I have never had that come undone until I removed it myself with a wire cutter.

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are going to secure the entire door in the way that I did with caution tape (the first thing I found in the drawer), you might use something sturdier that would not sag or tear.
Wiring around the entire door would not be a bad idea.

I use the second pic myself. Put a piece of wire through the slits on the door and wrap it around the cage itself. I have never had that come undone until I removed it myself with a wire cutter.
These are great! Thank you. That definitely gives me a good idea. I think I'll go to the tractor supply store where I got the traps to see if they might have something like what is pictured. The vet also gave me some Gabapentin which I could use. Not sure yet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some other brands of traps are made of wire mesh entirely, no solid piece as the Havahart has, which make securing it easier. You may not want to invest in a lot of traps however.

How were you instructed to use the gabapentin? Put it in the food which is in the trap when you actually do the trapping?

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't buy anymore traps, but I didn't try the Gabapentin, which I don't think would work anyway. The directions were to give it a day before the visit and then an hour, which wouldn't help me at all. Another vet is going to prescribe ace, and from experience, I know this works. Wish me luck!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The only thing I was going to add about ace or gabapentin, is that if you give it to the cats before they are trapped, they will wander off and sleep/collapse where you might not be able to find them.

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only thing I was going to add about ace or gabapentin, is that if you give it to the cats before they are trapped, they will wander off and sleep/collapse where you might not be able to find them.
I've gotten two out, and now there's one. They are in my house, not outside. I tried putting the medicine in his food and he wouldn't eat it so I put it in a pill pocket and put it back in the bottle. I can try again on Monday, but if he won't eat the food beforehand, I don't know what I'll do. I hope the medicine will still be potent after having been in the pill pocket for a few days. I have never used the Gabapentin, so I do have that. This is the ace that I want to try.