Getting Cats Used To Being Brushed

JackAndDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got two shorthairs and one of them, jack, seems to shed constantly. I've tried to keep a schedule of brushing them 1-2 times a week but they seem to think grooming is playtime and keep attacking the brush/comb. I've tried to catch them when they're resting too to the same result. Does anyone have any tips?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JackAndDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Would you want to try a grooming mitt?
I've thought about that! I also figured it'd be easier to catch discarded hair. I've got carpets and I kinda wanted to avoid having to vacuum every time i groom them.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat does that too. I kept trying different brushes until I found one he would tolerate longer. He's pretty cool with one called the Zoomgroom. It's got little rubber nubbies....kind of like a mitt actually....

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is what I do, two maybe three times a week. BEFORE I vacuum, I get a small handful of treats, my furminator brush, my nubby mitt and I sit on the floor. I have two cats so while one is eating a treat, I brush until that cat moves away and then I entice the other one with a treat. Eventually everyone gives up and just lays there and enjoys it...tolerates it...hard to tell LOL, till I'm finished. Then, I vacuum.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing to look at is WHY Jack attacks the brush. If it's a game, give him a good interactive play session (and a meaty treat or snack) just before you groom him. Cats have a natural cycle of play (hunt) - eat - groom - sleep, so recreating that cycle may well make a big difference to his attitude towards grooming sessions.

However, if Jack is attacking the brush because it's an over stimulation issue, a little and often approach is likely to work best. My ex semi feral girl gets overstimulated from any kind of moving touch very easily. I first found the grooming tool she likes best (for her, it's a simple plastic 'human' comb), and try to keep one close to each of her favourite snuggle spots. When she comes for cuddles, I'll do a tiny bit of grooming whilst she's wanting active attention before settling down. I very rarely go over 10-20 seconds with her at most, and I keep a close watch on her body language at all times. Using this approach has taken her from almost ungroomable to actively enjoying her mini grooming sessions.

Hope this helps :)