Getting Cats To Vet (walking With A Carrier Advice)?

FionaFosterMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to bring my two 10 pound girls to the vet this weekend. The vet is a 5-7 minute (3 block) walk from my house.

I once transported them via car in a large hardshell kennel/case. They both fit in it. They were scared the entire time, and used the bathroom in the case. I don't have access to a car now, and no longer have that extra large case.

So, I guess I'm looking at buying two smaller hard shell or soft shell cases. I need something that is easy to carry for 3 blocks and out of which the cats can't escape. I know they won't be very happy. Any advice?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just two small carriers. Might be best to make two trips?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FionaFosterMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hadn't thought about two trips, but that's not a bad idea at all!

If I'm worried about a cat getting panicky, is a hard shell or soft shell carrier the way to go? I imagine soft is more comfortable, but that my cat could scratch through it... obviously I need to keep them safe and secure inside the carrier.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have this one and find it very manageable: Sherpa® Original Deluxe Pet Carrier | dog Carriers & Crates | PetSmart

It comes with an over the shoulder strap so you can carry it gym bag style. I would be able to manage one on each shoulder. It is reasonably sturdy, though I have no doubt that a very determined cat could destroy it over time.

You could also look into hiring a cab for the trip.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine goes in a hard shell carrier. She rides in the back seat. But when we get to the vet I put her carrier in the trolly shown below. Put the carrier handle toward the front of the trolly away from the trolly's handle. It's amazing how much easier it is than carrying her by hand (she's 11 lbs.) even with a shoulder strap. Holding the carrier to the side seems to increase the weight. This is the one I use and it's $17 at Amazon. You can get it at office depot. The handle shortens for storage. It would only work for one carrier at a time, but there are others. Poke around at Amazon. I think this one can hold 50 lbs, I use it for carting the heavy trash (used litter in bags) to the car.

Put this in the search at Amazon :
Office Depot Mobile Folding Cart With Lid, 16in.H x 18in.W x 15in.D, Black, 50801

upload_2018-12-10_11-38-14.png

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are the strollers strong enough to survive a passing dog's enthusiastic interest?

I did see a post on this site, where one woman had a stroller but it wasn't strong enough to keep the cat inside. the post said the cat escaped and was never found. As I said I read the post somewhere on this site and do not know the person who lost her cat. The stuff of nightmares.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet Strollers are pretty darn cute. However, I'm not just real sure I do that ....may actually be too cute. :lol:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, basscat basscat not for your guy anyway.

I use the trolly I posted with a hard shell carrier in it. SG can fight her little delicate way out of stuff, and I worry about other clients biting through the soft carriers.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
are the strollers strong enough to survive a passing dog's enthusiastic interest?

I did see a post on this site, where one woman had a stroller but it wasn't strong enough to keep the cat inside. the post said the cat escaped and was never found. As I said I read the post somewhere on this site and do not know the person who lost her cat. The stuff of nightmares.
I've heard that too. Although I know someone who never had a problem walking her cat in a stroller. I also saw a guy who used to walk his dog and cat in a stroller but his was home made. He stacked two metal crates on top of each other in a stroller with zip ties and cut off the top of the stroller.

If you try a stroller, I'd attach a leash to the cat as well with the leash attached to the stroller. I've read you also want to reinforce the seams and joints to make sure a scared cat can't claw it's way out.

Personally, I'd probably stack two standard carriers on a dolly or wheeled cart with some bungie cord. I'd leave the stroller for if you want to make it a regular occurrence.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since this picture makes me want one, my sister would say YES!!! I'm leaving." :D

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going the stroller route, I would either look to take them on regular walks or find a stroller that can be disassembled to the passenger piece and leave the passenger piece in their daily environment for them to get used to it. This will decrease their stress levels greatly because they'll be like, "oh! I know this! I've got this!"

My Krista's soft-shell carrier has sides that zip down and looks like a multi-room tent. I leave it all opened up (except the back) and put fish flakes in it daily (we have a post-meal fish flake hunt routine.) When it came time for vet, she barely made a peep. Instead of crying on the car ride over, she was trilling. What kind of weird cat trills on the way to the vet? One that has been desensitized to the carrier apparently.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely have two carriers. Cats sometimes get really stressed and can take it out in the other cat if they are in a single carrier, or one can run out while you are putting the other one in. As far as your walk, anyone you know who has a wagon or a foldable grocery cart? I like hard carriers since they would protect a cat the best from other animals.