Getting cat stronger

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any ideas how to gt a 7 month old kitten stronger. He's had tough going the last couple of months but seems to be improving now. He just isn't very strong. He can't jump up on anything. He doesn't clean himself. He stinks. He doesn't cover anything in the litter box. He stays in an upstairs bedroom overnite and has no problem climbing down the stairs in the morning. He's quite small. More like a 3-4 month old. Only weighs 3 lbs. He eats pretty good and drinks plenty of water. Any suggestions? He eats both dry and wet food. But not a real lot.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Any ideas how to gt a 7 month old kitten stronger. He's had tough going the last couple of months but seems to be improving now. He just isn't very strong. He can't jump up on anything. He doesn't clean himself. He stinks. He doesn't cover anything in the litter box. He stays in an upstairs bedroom overnite and has no problem climbing down the stairs in the morning. He's quite small. More like a 3-4 month old. Only weighs 3 lbs. He eats pretty good and drinks plenty of water. Any suggestions? He eats both dry and wet food. But not a real lot.

I don't know what you mean by a "rough go"- sick? If so, then it will take time for him to fully recover, as it would for any of us. Can you use a warm wet washcloth and help he get clean? What does his vet say?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He had a URI. Took Clavamox for that. Wasn't eating so he got put on an appetite stimulant. Vet suggested some different food which he hated and wouldn't eat. He would start to improve and then slip back but he seems to be doing better. I've been cleaning him with warm washcloths but I haven't given him a bath. I don't want to stress him out and set him back again. He's suppose to be an outside cat but I've been keeping him in for the past month. He was neutered last Dec.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
He had a URI. Took Clavamox for that. Wasn't eating so he got put on an appetite stimulant. Vet suggested some different food which he hated and wouldn't eat. He would start to improve and then slip back but he seems to be doing better. I've been cleaning him with warm washcloths but I haven't given him a bath. I don't want to stress him out and set him back again. He's suppose to be an outside cat but I've been keeping him in for the past month. He was neutered last Dec.

And that is why I am against neutering kittens at such a young age- those damn URI's. I am glad that you took him in because the outside elements would have been hard on a fragile little guy like him. It sounds like he is getting loving care from you. :) Can the vet give him a vitamin shot? It may just take time for him to fully get his strength back.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he only weighs 3 lbs at 7 months it sounds like he isn’t getting enough food. How many calories does he eat per day?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is dry food out all day. He goes and nibbles all day. When I put him in the bedroom at night I leave him with about a 1/4 c. Of dry food. He eats about half sometimes a little more but never all of it. I give him wet food 3-4 times a day. He only eats about a tablespoon at a time. Can't get him to eat anymore than that. When he wasn't eating at all I was giving him a high calorie booster.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is dry food out all day. He goes and nibbles all day. When I put him in the bedroom at night I leave him with about a 1/4 c. Of dry food. He eats about half sometimes a little more but never all of it. I give him wet food 3-4 times a day. He only eats about a tablespoon at a time. Can't get him to eat anymore than that. When he wasn't eating at all I was giving him a high calorie booster.
I think it’s time for a vet visit - I’d be concerned about a 7 month old kitten who isn’t gaining much weight or eating enough and doesn’t groom himself or jump on things. He could have a lingering infection or something else going on that’s holding him back.

Does he run around or play at all?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it’s time for a vet visit - I’d be concerned about a 7 month old kitten who isn’t gaining much weight or eating enough and doesn’t groom himself or jump on things. He could have a lingering infection or something else going on that’s holding him back.

Does he run around or play at all?
If I'm across the room he will come trotting over to me. He doesn't run around and he doesn't play at all. The last couple of days he has tried to jump up into my lap but can't make it. So that is a little progress.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What does he eat as his dry food and wet food? Did you discuss a multivitamin supplement with the vet?
Dry food varies. Same food I give my resident cat that likes variety. Sometimes it is Purina Beyond or Pure Balance alternating between chicken flavors and fish flavors. I've also bought Iams which was not a big hit.
I've been trying different wet foods. I made a special trip to a pet store which is quite a ways away and talked to a very knowledgeable manager who recommended a couple of different high cal wet foods. I bought a couple of different ones. Some he wouldn't even touch and a couple he did nibble at. He wouldn't eat enough for me to justify another trip to the pet store. I also bought some baby food. I actually opened a meat flavored one this morning and he actually ate almost half a jar. This is the small jars that are only about 2 oz.
I've also given him some human food. A little raw ground beef before I cook the rest. He'll eat may be a tablespoon of that. Yesterday I gave him a couple of small pieces of beef stew meat before I cooked the rest. He ate like 3-4 pieces and left the rest. I've also given him tuna which he'll eat a little of.
I live in a rural area where we have 1 grocery store and a Walmart that is 1/2 the size of a supercenter so my options are limited. Both of these stores are 15 miles away.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has he been checked or fleas/parasites/ or worms? Could be why he isnt gaining. I think he needs to see a vet and get a blood panel...

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever ordered pet supplies, food, toys online from Chewy? I use them all the time and are very prompt with the orders. I ordered from them Sunday night and yesterday morning received an email that I can expect my delivery tomorrow, Wednesday!! My cat has always been a picky eater as well. I got her from a shelter 4 years ago, she is 6 years old now, and had such a hard time finding a wet and dry fool that she would eat that I called up the shelter and asked what brands they were feeding her. Needless to say, I am not using the brands they recommended to me, BUT, through trial and error found that she likes Sheba and fancy feast wet, and Iams dry. Both the wet come in pate or cuts, Katy likes the cuts better than the pate. Believe, me, I know what you mean by picky! :)

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also amazon! If the kitty doesn't like the food- they'll refund it, and sometimes not require you to even send it back

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has he been checked or fleas/parasites/ or worms? Could be why he isnt gaining. I think he needs to see a vet and get a blood panel...
When he was neutered in Dec he was given a dose of Revolution. When I took him to the vet for the UTI she wasn't concerned after I told her he had the Revolution.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I'm across the room he will come trotting over to me. He doesn't run around and he doesn't play at all. The last couple of days he has tried to jump up into my lap but can't make it. So that is a little progress.
Ah ok. I was going to say that gradually increasing playtime can help a cat get their strength back and they usually build muscle mass fairly quickly but it sounds like he still needs some help in the health/nutrition department. Deworming might be a good idea

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He did get a dose of Revolution in Dec. which is for worms. I gave him another dewormer a week ago and he'll be getting a second dose in another week per directions. Just in case.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

I wouldn't be upset about him not weighing much due to the fact that he was terribly sick earlier, and he could also be a runt. But I would be concern by the fact that he doesn't seem to have the strength to even jump up on anything. At his age, he should be very active. Can you take him back to the vet?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I talked to the vet's assistant earlier today. She's my neighbor. She is going to talk to the vet in the morning and let me know.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My neighbor talked to the vet today. She brought me home some Mirataz transdermal ointment to try for 14 days. She says this is something new and they were looking to try it out. They have one other cat that they gave this to. I'm to let them know how it works. There was no charge for this. They also gave me some Churu Nourish to go along with the Mirataz. They are hoping that the combo of the two will get this cat eating more and hopefully gain weight.