getting cat pee odor out of concrete

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i finally talked DH into getting rid of the carpet in the bed & livingroom. there's a couple spots where cat pee has gotten through to the concrete. i've been googling the subject and everybody seems to swear their homemade or storebought solution is the best. anybody here has had this problem before? we're going to put in laminate flooring, a floating floor. thanks

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a post on another forum by someone who bought a hoarder's house and had to get it odor-free before they moved in. They poured baking soda on the floors and swept it up every day, and replaced it. I think they did that for a week, then they painted everything with Kilz. They said that worked. . .but I think I'd douse the spots with enzyme cleaner, too, and let dry before painting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would also recommend painting the concrete as well before you lay the new floor. Here is an article that has some products that have been rated quite well. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine I think I would douse the concrete with an enzymatic cleaner. Let it dry and then paint the concrete.
thanks for the info. i'd been using Nature's Miracle but i'd heard there's better ones out there. i think i'll go with Urine off since it's available in a few places around here.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thanks for the info. i'd been using Nature's Miracle but i'd heard there's better ones out there. i think i'll go with Urine off since it's available in a few places around here.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!! I think that would be a good choice. Better than Nature's Miracle which I have never had any luck with. The Urine Off should work much better.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Urine off don't work I tried it and my cat's peed in that spot even more at first it seemed to work but didn't and try apple cider vinegar or baking soda DO NOT MIX THE TWO TOGETHER

whammytap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had success with plain old white vinegar.  Just pour it on, enough to soak in some, and maybe once it's soaked in, pour on some more.  Concrete will absorb a lot of liquid.  Warning: cheaper concrete may have a lot of lime in it--lime is a base, vinegar is an acid, though not a particularly strong one (you can eat it, after all.)  It might cause some etching in the concrete, but not enough to damage it structurally.  If you're laying flooring over the concrete, some slight cosmetic damage might occur to the concrete, if it's of a certain type.

Vinegar is great for urine odors, and at three bucks a gallon, it's hard to find cheaper!  Use it to remove hard-water deposits from your faucets, too!  Once vinegar dries, it leaves no odor.  And of course, it's completely nontoxic and natural.