Getting Cat Into Carrier

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my Moki refuses to get into any type of carrier (molded plastic or soft fabric). I have tried to entice him with treats, he quickly gobbles and scoots. Any suggestions?

katycat1190

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! This is what i've been doing:

-leave the carrier out all the time
-turn the carrier into a prop during playtime (dangle a wand toy outside, she pounces over it around the corner, etc)
-randomly leave treats in it, usually a few pieces of her favorite kibble
-don't ever force her to go in. I always wait or entice her in it somehow using a toy so she doesn't form negative associations with it
-a few months ago I took off the top of the carrier and put it on the fridge, she used it a cat bed for some time

Essentially, leave the carrier out and make it a happy place of toys and treats, not just a carrier.

Btw, Jackson Galaxy has a very helpful video on carrier training on youtube.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If enticement and getting him familiar with the carrier doesn’t work, my technique for a uncooperative cat is corner them in a small room like a bathroom, tip the carrier up and open the door, grab the cat around its middle and drop them in feet first into the carrier.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never actually owned one, but some carriers have an opening on top as well which might make it even easier. Getting the 2 cat sized carriers also makes it a lot easier to get one cat in. Again, as previously mentioned, such tactics are a last resort. Pre-planning and leaving the carrier out for a day or two almost always works.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also leave the carrier in full view all the time. Mine is top opening. I loosely cover my cat's eyes with my right hand so she can't see where she's going, drop her inside the carrier and close the door. Has worked every time.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What just worked for me was the towel/carrier/bathroom scenario when a difficult cat needed to go to the vet last Friday. Wear a jacket and gloves if you expect a fight.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Here’s what I do (it requires two people):
  1. Take carrier out a couple of days before you need it. Leave carrier on floor with door open.
  2. Fifteen to 20 minutes prior to main event, lightly mist towel with Feliway spray (calming pheromone) or rub Calm-a-Mile, an all-natural blend of calming herbs, on it, and place in carrier.
  3. When you’re ready to put him in the carrier, approach him while speaking soothing, disarming words of love. Make sure he isn’t on anything that he can put his claws into and hold onto like a barnacle. I prefer a tile or wood floor. Have your partner-in-crime (PIC) quietly pick up carrier and approach you from behind so kitty can’t see what said partner has in his/her hand. Make sure PIC doesn’t let the carrier make any “carrier noises.” (Mine rattles if not held perfectly still, and my cats know exactly what that means.) PIC should hold carrier level about waist height with door open.
  4. Swiftly pick up (hopefully) unsuspecting kitty and in one smooth move, turn around and insert said kitty in carrier before he has a chance to react, grow additional legs all tipped with razors, and dismember you.
  5. Close and latch door, wipe sweat off brow, and hold hands with PIC to steady the shaking.
A bit tongue in cheek, but I really do use this method. :) If you don’t have a second person, a counter or table will work—anything that puts the carrier on the level and up off of the floor so there’s nothing for kitty to grab onto or push off from. Make sure the edge of the carrier is at the edge of whatever you’ve placed it on.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I got my kittens to like the carrier & figure out how to escape out of their soft carrier!(little minions!) So I take Jackie in the car in his harness because the outcome of him being in my lap is the same regardless. However I am not recommending that & I'm trying go find him a safe seatbelt harness (that actually works.)

For uncooperative or wise cats I trap them in a room first. Then I pick them up & stick them in (I left the crate out 24/7 for them to get used to it.) If a cat really fought me I would wrap them in a towel and place the kitty burrito in the crate. A cat blanket or towel that was on their bed can help calm them. Feliway couldn’t hurt.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put my cats into the bathroom and close the door. I get their carriers out of the bedroom closet and put them by the front door all set up with the doors open. I close the bedroom door so the cats can't run in there to hide. I slowly open the bathroom door, making sure to not let a cat escape. I squeeze myself through the door, and quickly close it. I pick up a cat, and leave the bathroom making sure the other cat doesn't escape and close the door. Cat goes into carrier and the carrier door is secured. Repeat for the other cat.

Most cats won't go willingly into a carrier so you have to physically place them in. A double door plastic carrier works well. It's a lot easier to put a cat in through the top door and then to try to push the cat through the one side door.

I've found that even though cats refuse to go into a carrier at home, when it's time to leave the vet office, they'll happily go right into the carrier:rolleyes:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's a technique my vet suggested, and it's made vet visits for my Ruby so much less stressful.

For a regular carrier, with opening on the end.

Place the carrier on a table or counter, or some other high surface, with the opening right at the edge. Then pick up cat and point the cat towards the opening. Because they're up high, the cat should enter the carrier in order to turn around. When they go in the carrier, shut the door.

It sounds simple, but it really works!

I do suggest, however, if you have a squirmy cat, to wear long sleeves, and maybe even glasses/sunglasses just to protect yourself from claws.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's a technique my vet suggested, and it's made vet visits for my Ruby so much less stressful.

For a regular carrier, with opening on the end.

Place the carrier on a table or counter, or some other high surface, with the opening right at the edge. Then pick up cat and point the cat towards the opening. Because they're up high, the cat should enter the carrier in order to turn around. When they go in the carrier, shut the door.

It sounds simple, but it really works!

I do suggest, however, if you have a squirmy cat, to wear long sleeves, and maybe even glasses/sunglasses just to protect yourself from claws.
I saw a you tube video on this but the suggestion was to put your hand over their eyes and put them 1/2 way in and pull the hands out. They don't see the carrier until they are in and have to turn around.

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
I leave the carrier out with a soft blanket in it and Dario will go in it and sleep, I leave it open so he just views it as another bed. He thinks of it as another bed, I put scent soakers in there so it smells like him. Make everything associated with the carrier good; get special treats that your kitty only gets in or around the carrier.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If enticement and getting him familiar with the carrier doesn’t work, my technique for a uncooperative cat is corner them in a small room like a bathroom, tip the carrier up and open the door, grab the cat around its middle and drop them in feet first into the carrier.
tl;dr: This works as a last resort but could destroy your cat's trust.

I had to do this once. Our former feral was not much for being handled and we were moving. I had one shot to do this. For MONTHS I got him used to being picked up and put on the bed. He would run away or stay for a pet or two then run away. On moving day, instead of placing him on the bed I "dropped" him into the up-ended carrier. He was not happy, the other cat was not happy. It took over 18 months before I could pick him up again.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I purchased a large plastic storage bin. Then I put holes in it. The best way is with a large knife. You make a small hole and then put the knife in and turn it around and around and it takes off a layer of plastic each turn. I pick my cat up (someplace where he can't see the bin) and put him down quickly into the bin holding him there and then grab the top and put it on. This is honestly the only thing that has worked. If some carrier company would just make a carrier like this that has a LARGE, wide top, and a carrier door, things would be so much easier.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The crazy solutions we come up with to fix our baby’s problems. I’m still laughing at your giant tub solution. If it works, it works. I would wrap the cat up burrito style (very tight then put kitty in the carrier, towel and all.)

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I leave the carrier in my kitchen and I give him his treat "wet food" in it ever night. He goes and sits in front of it if I'm late giving him his treat letting me know it's time. He doesn't eat all his treat at once and he goes back and forth over a period of an hour or so. Sometimes he's in there for 5 to 10 mins. He doesn't pay it any attention now.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have become the expert at quietly approaching sleeping kitties with the carrier open, and shoving them inside before they even have a chance to react.

Except Izzy. Izzy loves the carrier and all you have to do is open it and call her name. Sometimes she is in before I have even put the carrier on the floor. She needs to be moved out of the room when any other cat needs to go to the vet though, because removing her from the carrier adds extra steps.