getting cat in carrier and vet visit...

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will be taking Mikki in for a biopsy on her possible sarcoma lump on her lower leg on Thursday morning.
Does anyone else get so stressed at the fact of loading up their furbaby when they hate the car ride and you feel so bad when you can't convey to them it's to help them?
Hubby is a principal so will be at work and I am so weak when it comes to taking charge of these things! My stomach is in knots constantly thinking of it.
We have one of those hard plastic carriers and I finally got smart when I had to take Minnie as the top half buckles to the lower half, so instead of trying to shove Minnie through the door, I was able to set her in the bottom half then close the top half down on her. We did that with Mikki for her first appointment but hubby was with me... hope it goes smooth. I did rub feliway on the inside of the carrier, but she still ended up drooling, panting, and crying the whole way.

She's good with the vet and lets them do everything ok... but gosh.. I take it worse than she does I think..and I consider myself a confident person normally!

For those who "cover" the carrier with a towel or something... do you do it in the car as well?

Another thing... I put a towel inside the carrier but it slides around then it 's bunched all up at an end... but I wanted something in there in case she peed or threw up if she gets too stressed. Don't know if "daddy's" t-shirt would help calm her as she's a daddy's girl.
Please send positive thoughts for me. Wish I could take some of you with me :)

Last edited:

purmonster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first time I had to get my feral kitty in the crate, I ended up in tears. I acted as if I was going to kill him. So I know how you feel. I found these head and tail calming treats, gave him 2 a half-hour before the next trip and it was 100% better. He fell asleep and I picked him up and he didn't struggle with me, got him in the crate without a struggle?! He cried a bit at first but only for 5 min. My vet is a half-hour away. So 5min of crying instead of a half-hour was a miracle. Hope that helps, good luck!

• Purraise
Reactions: mnm

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Regarding what to line the carrier with, have you thought of disposable nappies? When we moved house we had to take our (then) 4 cats on a 3 hour car ride. We stuck the opened out nappies into the base of the carriers in case of accidents. If there's a chance that Mikki will pee on the way over then at least the nappies will absorb it and leave her dry and more comfortable for the rest of the journey.

Make sure you clean the carrier well before using to remove the smell of fear and adrenaline from her last trip. The Feliway is a good idea.

You could also try flower remedies such as the jackson galaxy spirit essences. Have you thought of trying a cat - appropriate calmer for her too? If she's not going in for blood work then it shouldn't be a problem. Check it out with your vet first if you're unsure though.

Hope it goes ok. Try to keep yourself calm. Mikki will pick up on your anxiety. You know you're doing what's best, and also that it will be over soon. :hugs: :vibes:

• Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Regarding what to line the carrier with, have you thought of disposable nappies?
We call those puppy training pads in the US
You can buy the cheap ones at the dollar store instead of the expensive ones at the pet store.

I have a carrier with a regular side door and a top door. It's so much easier to open the top door and put the cat in than to try to slide the cat in through the side door.

• Purraise

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The best "training pads" I've found, I get from a medical supply store. They're made for incontinent people, so they are not scented to attract an animal to urinate there, which makes them perfect for cat carriers. I go through tons of them with Montgomery, as we put them in his beds to help protect them. They're very economical.

• Purraise

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope things went well!

And you're not weak, you just love this cat so much that you can't help the feelings you feel! It doesn't make you weak, it makes you a compassionate human! Just take deep breaths, and try to distract yourself when your thoughts get to be too much. Your husband and you sound like you compliment each other well. ;)

• Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you ALL for the pep talk!!! The treats sound awesome... "giving she'll eat them, grrr"
taping a pad down is a great idea as well! I will be shopping tomorrow!

Thank you for your encouragement... it's much appreciated!

Say a lil prayer for us Thursday:)

Last edited:

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my boys are needing a vet visit I leave the carrier(s) out and open in the living room for a few days before hand. They get a chance to explore/play around/nap in them. On the day of their visit it is pretty easy to 'shoo' them inside. I strap them in the car with a seatbelt and the cover the carrier with a towel. One stays quiet as a mouse and the other only occasionally yowls. No panting or high stress reactions.

• Purraise

padfootandmoony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep my carrier out all the time. It is a soft carrier with a small padded bottom that makes it comfy. I have only had her about a month but the few times we have been to the vet she just cries in the car for a few minutes then when we get there she is perfectly happy. She will even sit in it at home. She would rather run around but if she wants to she goes in there :) I may have just been lucky on that field but making it smell like me did help a bit the first time I think! I am going to look into those treats for nail clipping I think...

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi MnM
Just wanted to wish you and Mikki all the best for Thursday. I will be thinking of you both and sending lots of prayers. I remember all about your Minnie and do understand all your fears.
As for the cat carrier, I also leave it out all the time. It makes things so much easier when it comes to vet time. All my kitties (past and present) have all enjoyed the carrier. I leave a comfy blanket and a few small toys in it. They lay and nap it in all the time.
My kitties are also great at the vets. They sit their quietly and let the vet do whatever he needs to do. I wish they were that good for me when it comes to giving them medication and all.
I do wish you and Mikki all the luck in the world.
I wish we could all go with you too.
We would if we could!!

• Purraise

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you everyone! I just remembered...she has to fast so the treats are out :(
I will look up the links posted...
and thank you Loving Mickey for your prayers... it means a lot..

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did get the carrier out today and have it in the family room... she checked it out. In the past when we take her to a vet...when they are finished with her then open the carrier and she gets in it by herself in a flash! She wants to go home!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I know about puppy training pads (we use them in front of our litter box since Cal used to regularly miss :rolleyes: ) I did actually mean disposable diapers...sorry,forgot the US mane for them before ;)

:clap: It's great that Mikki felt able to check out her carrier. Once again, good luck for Thursday. I really hope it goes ok :)

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep the carrier all times in the living room, under a small coffee table. It is always there, so when I need it it´s not a strange new thing that I have to get for her. It smells home, not basement/closet. My cat is one of those cats that sleep through the whole ride. Even purring! But I´ve had two others that did not like that thing... carrier and the car. No matter what I did they ened up crying and beeing carsick every time. So  I know the stress..... 

Give treats/food inside the carrier when you´re getting her used to the idea of beeing inside that thing. Let her find toys inside it. Put a favorite blanket in it. 

And the most important thing, and the hardest- to be calm yourself! Easier said than done....

• Purraise

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you for your thoughts..

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I had an idea. I took a soft lap blanket folded nicely and put it in a pillow case. I then had some industrial strength velco and attached it to the bottom of the suitcase as well as the bottom of the carrier...so nothing moved around and slid to one end today while taking Mik to the Vet. I put one of my tank tops I had worn on top of it in hopes it would be comforting..

I was able to just set her down in the bottom half of the carrier then quickly put the top half cover onto the carrier and buckle it.
Covering the carrier with a sheet didn't seem to help the crying..but... we made it fine! She had slobbered quite a bit.
This was a new specialty group I went to.. and it was very quiet...very friendly. I opened her carrier so she could eplore the examination room and I was SO DISAPPOINTED as someone came in and said they double booked and Mikki had to wait 40 minutes! No was I going to take her back in the car so I said we'll stay... and she was ok...curious... meowing... but the people there were so very friendly to her. The doctor came in..he was soooo personable and seemed so confident and knowledgeable that it was so worth the wait. They kept her for an extensive biopsy on the tumor on her lower leg... she will stay overnight... her surgery will be in a few hours..then they will call me. GET THIS!! They asked if I wanted to watch???? I would say, that's confidence in their part! I.said.no. haha He did say the he could roll the lump around... he acted surprised... I felt that sounded a little bit hopeful but didn't really question him on it because I know, first things first, and that's the biopsy to see what we're dealing with.