Getting back to normal after being really sick

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
So two weeks ago, Sadie the torbie was very sick. She hates to throw up (diva that she is) so when she irritated her GI by eating a piece of plastic, the vomiting was followed by a hunger strike, then assisted feeding and subQ fluids for almost a week. It's been a slow road of recovery, but we are back on track with appetite, eating on her own, and being her lovely little self.

But what I've noticed is she won't go to her previous favorite spots, like her cat tree or on our bed, and I'm wondering if that's because she's associating them with how sick she was? She literally laid either on our bed or in her cat tree the entire week she was ill. And she is truly back to her normal self, purring, tail wagging and talking up a storm in the kitchen with me lol.

Let me know your thoughts, I know cats are super intelligent, but ... I also have a tendency to over think things. 😋

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, it could well be. Cats are so very sensitive! I've seen cats with digestive issues, painful constipation, totally abandon a litter box, only to go back when a totally different box in a different place was used...they associated the pain of pooping with the box, not their own bodies.

I think that in Sadie's case, she will slowly start going to her old favorite places. You could try moving the cat tree to a new spot. The bed? Maybe a different bedspread would do the trick...at worst, you'll have a fresh look for the room!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know, it could well be. Cats are so very sensitive! I've seen cats with digestive issues, painful constipation, totally abandon a litter box, only to go back when a totally different box in a different place was used...they associated the pain of pooping with the box, not their own bodies.

I think that in Sadie's case, she will slowly start going to her old favorite places. You could try moving the cat tree to a new spot. The bed? Maybe a different bedspread would do the trick...at worst, you'll have a fresh look for the room!
Haha, that is a good idea about moving the cat tree! Maybe if I wiped down the high perches with some cat wipes, it may help to disassociate her thought about being there when she was sick. Also a good idea about the bed - I was going to wash the sheets, but a new bed spread would probably help too!! Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let me know if they work, and I'll keep them on my "worth a try" list!
I think we have success!
So yesterday I moved the cat tree to another position, wiped her favorite perches down, and sprinkled a little"magic" (catnip lol). I found her in there both yesterday and today! I even moved the cat tree back to it's old spot this morning, she's fine with it. 😁
As for the bed, that is funny. I took off the sheets and bed spread to wash/change, and she came up to lay on just the mattress yesterday lol. So we'll see if she decides to check out the clean sheets at any point today ☺

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, I'd say she's well on her way to getting back to normal! Nice work!