Getting Another Cat Next Week!

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so excited! I'm finally living somewhere big enough to get another cat. I know the introductions might be difficult for a while, especially since I'll be getting a second young adult instead of a kitten. But I'm still really looking forward to it!

I'm adopting from the local cat cafe where I got my current cat. I went there on Monday to take a look at some possible cats, and I'm going to hopefully make a final decision on Saturday. It won't be an easy choice, that's for sure!

I'm watching their live kitty cam to try and see how the cats are besides the hour or so I spent with them, but I still haven't settled on which one I really want. There's an 8-10 month old male who's sweet and really funny, but he might be too rambunctious for my lifestyle. The other two are both two year old adults; one is very sweet but maybe not playful enough for the resident cat (if she deigns to play with other cats at all; she loves to play with people but we'll see about other cats). The other is absolutely beautiful and seems to be pretty playful, but she was sleeping for most of the time I was there so I didn't really get to interact with her.

Whichever one I choose, I think it'll be fine though. And who knows, maybe a totally different cat will win me over!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of the cats I was excited about getting to know better tomorrow got adopted by someone else... It kinda stings, but I'm determined to stay positive! I'm bound to hit it off with another cat there. I'm still really excited to hopefully pick a kitty tomorrow!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the cats I was excited about getting to know better tomorrow got adopted by someone else... It kinda stings, but I'm determined to stay positive! I'm bound to hit it off with another cat there. I'm still really excited to hopefully pick a kitty tomorrow!
Things happen for a reason. I went to the shelter to adopt my cat Kitty. I fell for another cat that I thought was cute. But she got adopted by someone that saw her before me.

As I was leaving I heard an employee comment if I saw the other kitten that was available. I asked about her at the front desk, and was told me she wasn't available. I insisted that someone told me she was. So they called the person that put her on hold, and she had changed her mind.

So I didn't go home with the cat I intended. But I think I got the cat I was meant to have.

Don't worry. If there's a cat that's meant to be with you, they will be there waiting.:heartshape:

Don't give up, I went to a few shelters until I found Kitty.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's probably better this way; after all, it seems more fitting for the cat to choose the person. When I got my current kitty, I was actually considering a few other cats and didn't even know that she was there. But the staff steered me towards her, and she won me over with her big purr. This is the same place I got my first cat so maybe I can hope for something like that again!

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I chose a cat!

IMG_2101.JPG
IMG_2105.jpg

The cat cafe named her Tamale, but I think I'm gonna call her Mischief (Missy for short). She's two years old, and has somehow been at the cat cafe since April even though she's so cute (kitten season makes it harder for the older cats to find homes, I guess).

I'm a little worried about the introductions; she's bigger than my resident cat and some parts of proper cat introductions (like swapping rooms) are going to be difficult with my apartment set up and because I live alone. But I'll take it slow and do the best I can! She generally gets along with other cats; so did Amelia while she lived at the cat cafe. Eventually it'll probably work out.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today's the day! I'm gonna pick her up this afternoon after I go buy her stuff (haven't had time until now; my work hours aren't the greatest).

I confess I'm a little nervous. My biggest concern is that she won't get along with Millie. I also found out after choosing her that she was returned once before. I'm not gonna back out or anything; cats get returned for stupid reasons all the time and thanks to this forum I'm probably more knowledgeable than many about how to work out cat related problems. But I do hope to ask if they know why; if she's got a history of a certain problem I wanna know about it so I can be proactive about preventing issues.

I think that I probably felt this way with bringing my first cat home too, but that I've just forgotten any initial anxiety because she was so cute and cuddly right from the start.

So! I'm super excited and a little anxious, but it's probably going to be fine.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Looking forward to your next updates! :)

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose a cat!

View attachment 294145 View attachment 294146

The cat cafe named her Tamale, but I think I'm gonna call her Mischief (Missy for short). She's two years old, and has somehow been at the cat cafe since April even though she's so cute (kitten season makes it harder for the older cats to find homes, I guess).

I'm a little worried about the introductions; she's bigger than my resident cat and some parts of proper cat introductions (like swapping rooms) are going to be difficult with my apartment set up and because I live alone. But I'll take it slow and do the best I can! She generally gets along with other cats; so did Amelia while she lived at the cat cafe. Eventually it'll probably work out.
She looks beautiful. Let us know how its going.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's here!

IMG_2118.JPG

She's so sweet and really adorable. I'm a little worried about intros, though (already made a thread in cat behavior for it). She's a fast little bugger and really, really wants to go into the room with resident cat (who does not want this), and she keeps slipping past me and there's hissing and growling (but no fighting). I'm hopeful I haven't ruined it yet.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful caliby!

We completely messed up our very first intro between our two cats (when I was catsitting before we lived together), and the girls tolerate each other well now.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they tell you why she was returned? I have a calico cat and she's very strong willed. we kept elsa locked up for a week until Kitty barged into the room determined to meet the intruder. Lol

Thankfully nothing bad happened. But I've heard in general female calico cats tend to have a lot of cattitude for some reason.

I know someone that had a calico that would poop in the guest bed when a guest would come over.

My cats stubborn but thankfully doesn't do anything like that. Lol

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did they tell you why she was returned? I have a calico cat and she's very strong willed. we kept elsa locked up for a week until Kitty barged into the room determined to meet the intruder. Lol

Thankfully nothing bad happened. But I've heard in general female calico cats tend to have a lot of cattitude for some reason.

I know someone that had a calico that would poop in the guest bed when a guest would come over.

My cats stubborn but thankfully doesn't do anything like that. Lol

They weren't entirely sure. They try not to probe too much, since they don't want people to not return a cat out of guilt.

I wouldn't say that she has a lot of cattitude so far. She's just a bit anxious right now, and seeking reassurance. Sure, she's determined to get it (cried all night and kept me up), but what cat isn't? If anything, she's actually kinda clumsy and derpy. Millie is small, has only half a tail, and is somewhat chubby and she can jump to a cluttered counter several feet up without displacing a single thing. Mischief can't even get up on a kitchen chair without embarrassing herself.:lol: