Getting A "new" Stray Cat Inside My Home....

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, this kitty showed up on my Patio several months ago, where I feed a feral male cat (who KNOWS the traps and so far, I have NOT been successful trapping him. He just avoids my Patio at all costs, when the traps are out!) Anyway, new
Little Mama and Babies 5.jpeg
little black kitty shows up FRANTIC to eat! I decided the cold weather was to be here soon (Ohio), so I placed a trap outside and caught her within 20 minutes. Took her into a no-kill local cat shelter. Two days later, despite the fact she looked to be a "Junior" kitty, she had a litter of 5 kittens. Long story---short, the kittens grew, got spayed, got sent to the local PetSmart and all adopted now. Mama was spayed a month and a half ago. The owner of the shelter is trying to downsize and said she is probably going to TNR with her. I thought, "NO!!!!" I will take her and bring her to live IN my house now! So, I went last weekend to get her and she had...…..Ringworm! So, they wouldn't release her. But, probably this weekend!! YAY!
From what the shelter people say, she sounds like she has mellowed quite a bit. She will purr when she is eating, and being petted at the same time. She doesn't seem aggressive at this point in time, but was SO frightened when she would show up on my Patio. I thought at that time, she was feral. Thinking now, maybe she was miserable and starving and scared?! Anyway, am planning on "housing " her in my spare bedroom, like I did for my last Shelter kitty (who had been at the Shelter for 2 1/2 years and was there, because she NEVER lets anyone hold her, (but loves...…...LOVES to be petted!!! ;)
So, with all that being said, how long do you think I should have her by herself? Both my previous kitty (Kelsie) and this little one, are from the same shelter, and are used to being around cats. However, with Kelsie, she didn't seem to want to socialize with my cat, Little Bean (who has since passed away). Just sort of worried, as this is the first time, I have brought one to live here, who was totally used to living outside.... Thanks for reading this and for your help!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the new family member! She wandered onto the right patio. So glad her kittens got homes and VERY glad the shelter didn't put her back out!

Have you decided on a name yet? She doesn't seem very feral. A true feral cat would not have that body language when her crate was approached for pictures of her kittens. She could've had her first litter at 5 months which so she's still pretty young herself and being in the no-kill helped socialize her as well.

I wouldn't worry too much over feral/ not feral and just go for it. You mentioned using your spare bedroom as a safe room in the past- spare rooms are the best. If you can make sure there is no hiding spaces behind furniture or under the bed.

The spare bedroom I have just has an air-mattress so it's perfect and I have benches and tables that the cat can hide under but also is seen and not truly hidden. I also equip my spare room with an open carrier. That way the carrier is the tightest option for them to hide in. This way you can carrier train them early!

Just go slow. Take it a few months and let the cats decide when they are ready. After she's used to you petting her and has gained trust for you then start slow introductions. Even if you go slowly and take a few months and things backfire you can just take the introductions back a step and move even slower, rarely do things just not work out if you give it time.

I'd go slowly as well since stress of new environment is one of the catalysts for ringworm. So if you rush things the new cat could get ringworm because it is now exposed and under stress. Waiting a few months in any scenario is probably for the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much, for your wonderful replies and tips! I have had cats for many years, but have not brought one that "needs to be worked with". So I really do appreciate this, more than you can imagine! I am feeling so positive about it now and just knowing she will not have to be stuck back outside again, just makes my heart so happy!

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much, for your wonderful replies and tips! I have had cats for many years, but have not brought one that "needs to be worked with". So I really do appreciate this, more than you can imagine! I am feeling so positive about it now and just knowing she will not have to be stuck back outside again, just makes my heart so happy!

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank You for your confidence in me! :) I am thinking it might be this weekend, I can bring her home. I hope so, anyway and am really looking so forward to having her be happy in a loving home!
P.S. My Granddaughter asked me if I had a name for her and I told her, "No, not yet." She replied, "Well, it was Christmas time, when you decided you needed to get her into your home, so can we name her Holly?" So...……..Holly it is! :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My guess is that she was scared and starving when she showed up. You did a wonderful job of seeing that everyone was cared for and should be very proud of yourself. I was in this situation once with a cat I was sure was feral, finally trapped her only to find that she had been previously spayed, no ear tip. I trapped her and put her in a bedroom which she voluntarily never left. She was so happy to get a home and place that despite the door being opened she took no chances of losing her hard earned shelter. You might be surprised how Holly will respond.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE!! OMG!!! So, like some of you said, Holly is apparently NOT Feral at all! I think she was in Survival Mode, being outside, all alone, cold and pregnant and starving... She is doing FABULOUSLY!! I had her in the spare bedroom for this past week and let her out cautiously, night before last (I had my other cat Kelsie, in my bedroom for safety, at first.) Holly had been doing SO, SO well, eating, romping around, playing, wanting me to pet her all the time---even BELLY RUBS! :)
I let Holly go around and check out the house. I slowly let Kelsie out to see what was going on and by that time, had Holly back in the spare bedroom. I did this again last night and all seemed real calm. So awhile later, I cautiously let Holly back out and they went right up to each other (as I held my breath!) and checked each other out. NO AGRESSION!!! Then, they went their separate ways and they are keeping ''tabs'' on each other, but NO unwanted behaviors so far!
Kelsie is being even more affectionate than usual (probably wants to make sure I still love HER!! :)
I am so, so delighted about it all and couldn't ask for a better situation at this time! YAY!!!!!! Thank you ALL again, for the tips and all the positive encouragement on giving Holly her new Forever Home!! :yess:

Holly finding my comfy bed this afternoon! :)

Holly January 24 2019.jpeg

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What great news! Looks like Holly has made herself right at home with you and Kelsie! Thanks for taking a chance on her!

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually would have waited longer for "the introduction", but she is so social, friendly, VERY gentle and affectionate...…..I began thinking, she is NOT feral. Again, was thinking she was just in a terrible outdoors situation and being so young (probably only about 7 months old when she had her litter of 5 kittens!). If it didn't work out well, I was prepared to keep them apart for longer. But, my other cat Kelsie is a very gentle little one. Non -aggressive, friendly and loves being petted. I think Kelsie was not too friendly with my previous cat, Little Bean, because Kelsie KNEW Little Bean was very ill....
I am SO happy this is going so well, so far!! :)

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, happily, Holly and Kelsie (my other kitty who was already living here with me) are doing great together!!! They are showing no signs of aggression and are "almost" friendly to each other. It has been just a few weeks, so I am thinking they will be good buddies within a few month's time. They are curious about each other, but are polite and nice to each other, when they go up and check each other out. I am seriously over the moon happy about this!! :)
Holly knows the word 'Food" and happily walks along-side me like a puppy, when I bring her food bowl to the place she is eating her meals. Yes, I am SO happy today, that I took a chance on little Miss Holly and brought her into my home and into my life! Thank you all again, for cheering me along! :)

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple pictures here of Holly (Black Kitty) and my Kelsie (Black and White Kitty) :) Oh, they are doing SO, SO well together!! Just so darn cute and playful together!! Never in a million years, did I expect this!!!! Just so happy!
Holly February 2019  2.jpg
happy :)
Kitties February 2019.jpg