Getting a New Cat

erj1099

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! So, I've decided I am adopting a cat this weekend. I've done a lot of research, but I'm still extremely nervous. I'm 20 years old, living in college, and this will be my first time owning my own pet (all other pets I've had -including cats- have been my parents). I was wondering if there was any advice you could give me or anything to ease my mind on doing this. My parents aren't totally supportive of this because they're nervous, which I absolutely get, but I know this is the right step and I am responsible enough and ready to care for this cat. Any advice or supportive words would be so well appreciated.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the soon to be cat adoption! :petcat:

It's natural to have some hesitation or nervousness about adopting a cat, but if you've thought it through, and can financially afford a cat, and any unforeseen medicals costs, and you have a secure place where the cat can't get loose, everything should be fine.

Do you live in a dorm, or have your own apartment? Any roommates?

TCS has these articles for new or soon-to-be cat parents, which might be helpful:

A Kitten Or An Older Cat – Which Should You Adopt? – TheCatSite Articles
15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat? – TheCatSite Articles
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One advice I have is getting a mature cat. If you are living in college you may be at classes or out a lot and probably living in a smaller space, and all of those things would be better suited to a lazier older kitty. Also you may want to wait out the Covid situation. I have a younger brother in college and I know campuses around the country (if you are in US- I dont know where you are) are changing their minds and closing. Also- when you go home- are your parents ok with kitty going there? Just stuff to think of.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always recommend getting the book Think like a cat by Pam johnson bennet, has loads of great info for the first time (and even ones like me who have had cats most their lives lol).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fostering a cat while you are in college may be a better option. A shelter typically provides the food and supplies and necessary vet care.

What is your living situation? At home with the parents? Dorm? Off campus? Sharing with roommates? Will a cat have full run of the space or needs to be confined to your bedroom?

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome!
There is a lot of useful information by the previous posters.
This maybe long, but I’ll give you a bit of my experience and some things to consider.
I got Eveliina when I was in university. I was on my own and in my own apartment. I made sure that I was financially able to support a cat, prepared for any medical bills and other expenses. I got her spayed as soon as she was old enough too. So, if I were you I would ask myself if you can realistically afford a cat during your studies. Believe me, I know how expensive going through school is.
Secondly, taking care of/ raising a kitten takes a lot of time and work. Are you going to be able to raise a kitten and study at the same time? I took criminology and law in school. I was a busy, dedicated student navigating through life and supporting myself. It wasn’t easy, but I made sure I gave her my time and love. I put a lot of my own things on the back burner to make sure she got the attention she needed. I am blessed with such a great companion to this day.
What is your living situation? Do you have your own place, live with roommates? Will your baby have enough space?
I also travelled a lot because I was not from where I studied. I took Eveliina with me each time; it cost quite a bit of money to bring her along. But I chose to take on life with my baby and she enjoyed being with me regardless. She is such a great cat to travel with now because she was introduced to it so early on.
My point in talking about travel is, are you willing to take her with you if you have to go out of town? Do you have support from anyone who can watch her if you have to go? Do you have the finances to pay for someone to watch her if you don’t have anyone? Can your parents watch her? Life can be unpredictable at times.
All in all, you know yourself and your situation. If you think you can financially support her, have the proper housing for her and give her time and love then everything should be fine.
Best wishes, and good luck with your new one!:catrub:

Last edited: