Getting A Kitten To Gain Weight

Joandlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 13 week siamese kitten was wormed for round worms a week ago but is still not gaining weight. He eats dry and wet food. What should I do

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What is his weight now? At 13 weeks old he should be weighing around 5lbs. Since he was just dewormed, he should gain back his appetite soon.

How many times and how much is he eating? Best is feed him with wet food as it is high in proteins and not carbohydrates like the dry food.

At his age he should be eating at least 4-5 substantial meals a day as he is still a kitten and still growing, he needs lots of proteins to grow. Feed as much as he can eat. Also wet food contains much more moisture than dry to keep him hydrated.

Here are some articles for you to read :-

What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

Below are two very important articles for your cat's health

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joandlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He only weighs 3.8 pounds. I have been feeding him three times a day but he's only eating about a 1/4 of a cup. Thanks for the articles I will definitely read them.

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to worm him for tape worms as well they get most worms from mama cat.. But tape worms are one of the most common in cats that will eat everything your feeding her..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Joandlily Joandlily

His weight is just right for 13 weeks. He is not supposed to weigh 5 pounds yet, as tabbytom tabbytom said. So he may be on a plateau at the moment, and will eat more as he begins to grow again.

Do you feed wet food in addition to the dry? Kittens really need wet food to grow on.

Your cat should gain a pound a month for the first 6 months of life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joandlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Joandlily Joandlily

His weight is just right for 13 weeks. He is not supposed to weigh 5 pounds yet, as tabbytom tabbytom said. So he may be on a plateau at the moment, and will eat more as he begins to grow again.

Do you feed wet food in addition to the dry? Kittens really need wet food to grow on.

Your cat should gain a pound a month for the first 6 months of life.
Thank you for that information I was really worried he wasn't 5lbs. I feed wet and dry food. I am in the process of switching him to chicken soup kitten
wet food and chicken soup for the soul kitten food dry

Last edited: