Getting 2 kittens and wondering what genders I should get

bronte73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I prefer male cats just from experience, but wondered if I should get 2 males, 2 females or one of each? Does it matter?

I'm new here. I adopted a big old boy from the shelter about 2 years ago. I had him for about a year and then we had to put him to sleep due to permanent kidney/liver damage that just got worse with time. He had infections one right after another and started to be in a lot of pain. Anyway, he was the biggest sweetie ever and was my buddy. He would sit on my shoulder while I was on the phone and lay on my lap when I would write articles and do research. He looked kind of like a tuxedoed Maine Coone cat. He had the coat and the face and the big greeny-yellow eyes.

Anyway, he's been gone about a year and I would like to get a new buddy. I have always read that 2 kittens are a better idea than just one. Any thoughts or help with this? When your picking a friend for the next 20 years maybe, I want to make a good choice.

southernlocs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well i got 2 littermates, both boys. I couldnt see either one of them without each other. I was only gonna get one and im glad i got both!

Since these are my 1st cats im not sure about the different genders.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't really matter much, get 2 girls, or 2 boys, or one of each

Folks do say that boys are typically the more loving, but that has not been my experience.

I have 3 of each, and there really is no appreciable difference.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it matters with cats either. When I got mine I got one of each because at the time I had always had dogs and with them you usually have better luck with one of each. With cats it makes no difference.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men ...

I'd go wherever you were going to go to get the kitties, and see who falls in love with you (and visa versa), and which ones you are drawn to and have the best personalities, and go with those, without any preconceived rules.

You never know what perfect cat you might pass up because you've chosen a certain gender or combination.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it makes any difference either, it all depends on each individual cat.

Only thing to think about is with one of each sex, you have to make sure they are spayed and neutered asap cuz even if they are littermates, they can get preggers as young as 4 months sometimes. With keeping one of each sex together, there is a bigger risk of missing the females first heat if it is really short, and as soon as that male is "of age", he is going to do everything possible to get at her. Just keep that in mind. I really don't think it matters which sex you get otherwise.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I really have three friendly boys, but my one female is extremely shy. I got both her and her brother at the same time. He is not as friendly as the other boys, but isn't scared. I do keep in mind that they were semi feral cats. I think it is nice having littermates, mine get along great with eachother. If you have a choice I would try to keep them the same sex I was very concerned that cookie would have a go at Suzie, I scheduled those speuters as soon as I could. However sometimes you don't have a choice and it should work out just fine as long as you are vigilant about getting them fixed ASAP.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think you can plan the which you get..Its just a matter of who is most drawn to you..I think the kitties pick their owner (if possible). Just go and see who loves you the most and pick the 2 that seem to like you

We wanted a male kitty when we sought out Trout..but she loved us too much we couldn't leave her behind!

blindside462

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should get 2 male kitties because they would probably be playful together. DO NOT get them while they are older. They will learn to love you and look at you like a somewhat father figure if you spend time with them.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just make sure that you get the babies fixed right after you get them (if they weigh 2 pounds, they're old enough) and it won't matter a bit. In my house, my girl and my older boy are the lovebugs/attention hogs...the younger boy is more independent and aloof.

I work in a shelter with 300 cats are there's really no pattern. We find that the stray males we get who aren't neutered until they are several years old occassionally don't stop spraying, but that's really the only thing.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blindside462

You should get 2 male kitties because they would probably be playful together. DO NOT get them while they are older. They will learn to love you and look at you like a somewhat father figure if you spend time with them.
Well I don't know about that, but in my experience, my two males do get along way better then my females do. I have 6 cats altogether. I don't think age matters as long as they are neutered and their male hormones aren't as crazy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO males (neutered) are more loving and people oriented then females - all my females (spayed or not) had attitudes. The males are more willing to accept another cat then females are.

I recommend males over females.