Gettin' Old Ain't for Sissies

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I heard about her death and agree it was very sad. I had a hunch it might involve a drug overdose but hoping that wasn't the case of her demise. They are conducting an autopsy so I guess we won't know for sure yet.
My statement about a suspected heroin overdose was based on her entry in Wikipedia. Erin Moran - Wikipedia The article has changed since and now includes no speculation, however I'm also certain that at least one news article I read said that a drug overdose was suspected. It did not specify heroin. I do know that she'd been having substance abuse problems, but it could be that it was entirely alcohol, not illegal drugs. Certainly she seems to have been an unhappy woman. So many child stars become troubled adults.

As you say, we'll know for sure later.

Margret

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I did not know this thread existed until today. Read halfway through the first page and could hardly believe all these people complaining about this and that and how many surgeries they have had to repair god knows what. I just turned 78 and have none of that, still have all my own joints, need no hearing aids although I have worn glasses since I was 10 due to a lazy eye and have just been informed that I need cataract surgery, I will drag that out until it interferes with my vision. So far I still drive, in September took a 600 mile one-way trip all by myself and without a GPS, just a map and printed directions from mapquest. I do all my own housework, I cook for myself almost every day, putter around in my garden growing veggies and then do a lot of canning of tomatoes and peaches for the winter. Since I moved to Reno where the winters are severe, very cold but hardly any snow or ice, I cannot garden in the winter and the high elevation does not agree with me which is why I will move to the flatlands and a milder climate come spring/summer. I had my share of childhood diseases including chickenpox so that I had a slight case of shingles a few years back, I had my tonsils out when I was 12, my appendix out when I was 13, had 4 children all with natural birth although with anesthesia, partial hysterectomy and a stomach bypass which had me loose 120 lbs which is still off almost 20 years later. I broke the last bone in my right little toe about 40 years ago and had a hairline fracture in my right ankle about 1 1/2 years ago. Sure, I am slower now but my physician said this mainly due to the higher elevation (over 4500 ft) in which I live and will probably never get used to which is one more reason to move back to a lower elevation. Otherwise I am in such good condition that I think I will outlive all the people my age that I know, some of them have already gone that way and they were younger than I was then. So will I still be welcome on this thread or does not being a "broken down geezer" disqualify me?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Complaints are welcome and health is a hope for all. I think anyone who suffers any of the things we face from disability, age or those who have been fortunate enough to dodge the hands of time are great to hear from. I seem to fall somewhere in between! Issues but still moving. Hope to conquer more! Will I beat the twisting hands of time? :dunno: I beat paralysis in my young days so... always hoping. Longevity with properly moving parts is my wish. Lol The “Golden years?” I think that means getting up a lot at night!:eek: I would like my old phone back though. I do remember my first phone number as a child. Does anyone remember party lines? That was the first version of a conference call.:lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Complaints are welcome and health is a hope for all. I think anyone who suffers any of the things we face from disability, age or those who have been fortunate enough to dodge the hands of time are great to hear from. I seem to fall somewhere in between! Issues but still moving. Hope to conquer more! Will I beat the twisting hands of time? :dunno: I beat paralysis in my young days so... always hoping. Longevity with properly moving parts is my wish. Lol The “Golden years?” I think that means getting up a lot at night!:eek: I would like my old phone back though. I do remember my first phone number as a child. Does anyone remember party lines? That was the first version of a conference call.:lol:
Back then, that's all there were. Private lines were something that the rich people had. I think there was something like 7 or 8 phones all on the same line. Our ring was one long and two short.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I do remember our phone number. It was two letters and then 4 numbers, and no such thing as an area code. My passwords? I have to write them down, then try to remember where I put the card they're written on.
I remember mine, too. JAckson 8-2226. An obstetrician, Dr. Peacock, had the phone number JAckson 8-2220, so we got many wrong numbers from moms in labor frantically calling the doctor. If you remember a rotary dial, the number 6 had the letters M, N, O on it, so these poor moms were dialing the letter O instead of the operator 0. My mother didn't understand this and got furious at the callers. Eventually, I think 30 years later, Dad had our number changed. That one I don't remember.

We always had a private line, but then, we were in DC. I imagine the area got special treatment.

Nowadays, I have an address book for websites and passwords. Can't remember a one.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember mine, too. JAckson 8-2226. An obstetrician, Dr. Peacock, had the phone number JAckson 8-2220, so we got many wrong numbers from moms in labor frantically calling the doctor. If you remember a rotary dial, the number 6 had the letters M, N, O on it, so these poor moms were dialing the letter O instead of the operator 0. My mother didn't understand this and got furious at the callers. Eventually, I think 30 years later, Dad had our number changed. That one I don't remember.

We always had a private line, but then, we were in DC. I imagine the area got special treatment.

Nowadays, I have an address book for websites and passwords. Can't remember a one.
Ours was AKron 3742

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny how I can remember that old phone number, but just the other day, when we had to visit a funeral home, Michele told me to bring a pen to sign the book- so, of course, I forgot the pen. Fortunately, my sister-in-law brought one. No, it wasn't covid, just our niece's (one of many we have) father-in-law passed from a long-standing condition.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone remember party lines?
I don't remember party lines but I do remember my childhood phone number. I think it was etched in my memory. 😉 Who can remember passwords when they keep telling you to change them on a regular basis?

I have some of the more common aches and pains that come with age but wouldn't trade places with anyone else. I try to watch what I eat, exercise regularly and, although the pandemic has made it more difficult to socialize, I stay in touch with friends whether by phone or computer. As long as I can keep moving I'm content.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We lived on an island so party lines were only there for awhile. Not too many people for individual lines I guess. EL 55969! But then, I remember every phone number I have had. Now passwords, although I remember them, I can’t always remember which one goes to what! :lol: If only we weren’t constantly having to change them! Our brain storage may be getting full. N NY cat man You didn’t really forget the pen. The memory was in “the cloud!”;)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone remember party lines?
We had a party line on one of the farms we lived on as a kid.
Had to pick up the phone..listen to make sure no one was on the line then wind the handle on the phone to get the operator.I think i was about 5 years old and the farm was way out in the sticks.
I had to stand on a chair to reach the phone..I can remember that too.