Gettin' Old Ain't for Sissies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does anyone else remember Captain Kangaroo?

Or that cartoon, "Here Comes the Grump?"  Sometimes I catch myself singing, "He keeps on draggin' his jolly green dragon, but the dragon keeps laggin' behind..."

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I remember Captain Kangaroo but not "Here Comes the Grump."  It sounds like I missed a terrific theme song. [emoji]127926[/emoji]

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise

And now I know.  Thanks, guys.  AND I bookmarked the sight, because the clickhole beckons!

I have a bookcase.  It is NOT yet strapped to the wall.  Shall I do it today, thereby having to climb on my stepstool and then a kitchen chair again when the second on is done, or do I wait, and HOPE that I can reach both safety straps in one climbing?  These are the things that seniors living alone must ponder...
What's the back made of, wood or that cardboard stuff?

If the cardboard stuff then yeah, you're going to have to climb up.  I would say one at a time as the stepstool/chair is going to have to be moved anyway to reach proper strap placement on each bookshelf.

If wood, do the easy thing.  Put in several drywall anchors rated at least 50 lbs each (100 lbs is better) at a height that suits you, measure the holes carefully, put the bookshelf in front and drill through the wood and permanently screw the bookshelf to the wall.  The lower height will hold it in place easy so you don't have to climb at all.

(I
power tools.)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, I was that way when I was young, and it wasn't my father.  For me, at least, it's the ear worm thing.  That kind of "hook" line is intended to keep the song going through your head, and I hate being unable to get a song out of my head.

For one semester in college, I had a roommate who insisted that she couldn't study without music, specifically the music of one particular radio station that I hated, for exactly this reason.  Neither one of us had headphones, and she didn't even have her own radio, so she played this radio station endlessly on my stereo.  It didn't have anything along the line of preset buttons, just dials, so essentially she took over my stereo because she "needed" it to study.  Even with my stereo she wasn't much of a student.  After one semester she dropped out because she couldn't stand having to live under the stringent rules of the college (things like having to be in the dorm by a certain hour -- this was in Northern California, and the Zodiac killer was on the loose).  I heard later that she'd joined the Marine Corps!  Not only was she a bad student, a user, and irrational, IMO she was certifiably insane.  (There were other indicators.)

Margret
It's called a song-headache in my neck of the woods.  I'm plagued by songs I can't get out of my mind.  There are people who insist on going to sleep to music.  But studying to music?  That's a new one.  I prefer some kind of white noise like the washer or dryer.  

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Or that cartoon, "Here Comes the Grump?"  Sometimes I catch myself singing, "He keeps on draggin' his jolly green dragon, but the dragon keeps laggin' behind..."
I don't know anything about "Here Comes the Grump" but I do remember Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans. One thing I learned was always say "please and thank you".

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

I remember Captain Kangaroo, (who was a real life hero of WWII), MR GreenJeans,  and Bunny Rabbit (who was my favorite).

I loved watching Miss Jean also.. she never said my name with the "Magic Mirror"....sigh

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And ANOTHER thing about getting old...the learning curve for stuff like THIS NEW SITE is so, so steeeeeep!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember Captain Kangaroo, (who was a real life hero of WWII), MR GreenJeans, and Bunny Rabbit (who was my favorite).

I loved watching Miss Jean also.. she never said my name with the "Magic Mirror"....sigh
I always hoped to hear her call my name with her "Magic Mirror," too. I found out later that she only "saw" kids whose parents paid for it.

Did you ever watch Fred and Fae? Or was that a local show? Probably local. I remember that they really advertised the Little Miss pageant. I so wanted to go on that, and my mother said "No," without explanation. Either she'd heard some rumors about contestants being sexually abused, or she had a clue about how expensive it could get, or both.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's called a song-headache in my neck of the woods. I'm plagued by songs I can't get out of my mind. There are people who insist on going to sleep to music. But studying to music? That's a new one. I prefer some kind of white noise like the washer or dryer.
Oh, I can study to music, on condition it's the right kind of music. Something instrumental, with a rhythm conducive to concentration. Not something so stunningly gorgeous that I just have to stop what I'm doing and give it my full attention, and not something I want to sing along with, and definitely not something that makes me want to scream invective at the radio!

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I always hoped to hear her call my name with her "Magic Mirror," too. I found out later that she only "saw" kids whose parents paid for it.

Did you ever watch Fred and Fae? Or was that a local show? Probably local. I remember that they really advertised the Little Miss pageant. I so wanted to go on that, and my mother said "No," without explanation. Either she'd heard some rumors about contestants being sexually abused, or she had a clue about how expensive it could get, or both.

Margret
Fred and Fae must have been local, or at least regional. We had a local called Saturday Morning with Uncle Pete. Dad took me once, and Uncle Pete gave me a puppy, which Mom promptly rehomed. In her defense, it was a LARGE hound puppy, and it went to a friend, and she made sure I visited Miss Pete regularly. We lived in the city, and had NO place for a hound mix pup!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fred and Fae must have been local, or at least regional. We had a local called Saturday Morning with Uncle Pete. Dad took me once, and Uncle Pete gave me a puppy, which Mom promptly rehomed. In her defense, it was a LARGE hound puppy, and it went to a friend, and she made sure I visited Miss Pete regularly. We lived in the city, and had NO place for a hound mix pup!
I remember visiting the vet and seeing a sign in the waiting room:
All children left unattended will receive a free kitten.
The next time we were in need of a new cat we seriously discussed the possibility of going to the vet's office and claiming that Roger was a child...

Margret

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The sign in your vet's office that says, "All children left unattended will receive a free kitten," is priceless! :D

DH saw a tee shirt that read, "I'm getting rid of the kids, the cat is allergic." ;)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HAH! Love that shirt! I needed one, a good few years back.

My company left today, and I was SO happy to see her get here, and SO happy to see her head home! I had a blast visiting, and we went to Beaufort to a restaurant on the bay. I had shrimp and grits. I think I saw God. Yesterday we went over to Willis Farms produce stand and copped some truly beautiful tomatoes, along with a couple of ears of early sweet corn and a flat of stupendous strawberries. Krys and I ate about half the strawberries last night, and I had the rest for supper. I mean...I hadda, right? They just won't keep that long. It was an imperative! Cooked the corn husk-on in the microwave, then cut off the stem end and squeezed the corn out. NO SILK! Squirted out totally clean! And here I've been avoiding fresh corn because I hate cleaning it! NEVER AGAIN!!!

Man, I really missed being here for most of three days. I'll be back on the forums full-force tomorrow.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just heard the news; Erin Moran (Joanie Cunningham from Happy Days) is dead. She was 56. No definitive cause of death yet, but they suspect a heroin overdose.

Whenever someone that much younger than me dies, it makes me feel old. And when it's a child star, and drug use is suspected, it makes me very glad that I had a normal childhood.

Margret

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just heard the news; Erin Moran (Joanie Cunningham from Happy Days) is dead. She was 56. No definitive cause of death yet, but they suspect a heroin overdose.

Whenever someone that much younger than me dies, it makes me feel old. And when it's a child star, and drug use is suspected, it makes me very glad that I had a normal childhood.Margret
Yes, I heard about her death and agree it was very sad. I had a hunch it might involve a drug overdose but hoping that wasn't the case of her demise. They are conducting an autopsy so I guess we won't know for sure yet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Man, I really missed being here for most of three days. I'll be back on the forums full-force tomorrow.
So glad you had a great visit with your friend but also happy to hear you'll be back in full force soon. :thumbsup:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And here I am! I've finally gotten the hang of finding my watched threads, although I'm still not getting notifications for watched members. Darn it. Been on here for a couple of hours getting caught up!