Gettin' Old Ain't for Sissies

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I like #30 especially.   "Don't take yourself so seriously.  Nobody else does."     As for some of the others, I think I've been doing the exact opposite.   Probably shouldn't have done that.  

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Someone sent me this in a FB message, and I shared it there.  However, I know a LOT of you don't do the FB thing, and it is worth reading.

I especially like #35.  It says that you loved, not that you ARE loved.  But I've found that one begets the other.
I like #26 and have learned to do this, "Forgive but don't forget."  Thanks for posting. 
Yes, exactly.  I've never understood why people seem to think that forgiving means you have to forget.  In order to forgive, you first have to acknowledge, to remember, that someone did something wrong.  Generally, something that caused you trauma.  We learn from traumatic situations, and when we don't life seems to keep sending the lesson our way.  I'd much rather remember, and learn, than forget and have to take the makeup course.

You know, usually I don't feel old.  My body is generally in good health, and as long as I visit the chiropractor occasionally to stay limber I feel pretty good.  But for some reason I woke up at 5:00 a.m. today, a good deal short of 8 hours sleep, and couldn't fall back asleep.  Okay, nothing to do but get up and figure I'll want a nap in a few hours.  But my joints aren't working quite yet, and Jasmine has the zoomies.  Not that I begrudge her the zoomies, but a cat with the zoomies, before sun-up, when I should be sound asleep, well, that makes me feel old.  Yawn.  In all fairness, that would probably have made me feel old when I was 20...  I wonder whether there are any good cartoons on right now.  I should probably check.

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
cartoons?? They still have them on? I remember when Boston channel 38 had the best cartoons on every morning.

Sorry you didn't get much sleep. Last night I passed out like a rock and found treats on my belly when I woke up. Jon put them there cause miss Bee Kitty was sleeping on me during the night but I don't remember feeling her on me...or maybe I was so passed out I just didn't wake up...

last week there were 2 nights I only got about 5 hours of sleep. woke up wide awake at 1am. and didn't fall asleep until 3:30am...alarm goes off at 4:53am...and I didn't hear it..woke at 5:25!!

I sure miss the good days of getting many hours of sleep.

Mamany I loved that list-I have seen that one before!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I miss Mighty Mouse.  I was outraged when I learned that they took it off the air because the censoring people said that when he swooped down, smelled the flowers and was transported with joy, it was a drug reference and would corrupt children.  What a load.  And I miss Underdog.  The wordplays in that cartoon were very adult.  For instance, Simon Bar Sinister...in heraldry, the Barr Sinister indicates a ******* line, so his name was actually "Simon the *******."  And the city of Mal de Mer (seasickness).  Just too funny.

LOL...talk about getting old!  The bookcases finally came, and I pulled a muscle in my should trying to OPEN THE DRATTED BOX!!!  So, putting them together will wait until tomorrow.  I am planning on installing the safety strap on the top shelf of the one in the open box, just so I'll feel like I've accomplished SOMETHING here.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be fair, I do remember Mighty Mouse sniffing some kind of white powder to get his powers. Some of those old cartoons were crazy. So many references to suicide in Tom & Jerry and Mickey Mouse cartoons. I remember one, a British cartoon named SuperTed, that was just, well, very British! I can't believe we liked them and didn't get too messed up by them.

Although my dad's uncle once jumped off the barn with bedsprings on his feet because of something he saw in a cartoon. So I guess some kids were that suggestible!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
To be fair, I do remember Mighty Mouse sniffing some kind of white powder to get his powers. Some of those old cartoons were crazy. So many references to suicide in Tom & Jerry and Mickey Mouse cartoons.

I miss Mighty Mouse.  I was outraged when I learned that they took it off the air because the censoring people said that when he swooped down, smelled the flowers and was transported with joy, it was a drug reference and would corrupt children.  What a load.  
I absolutely "loved" Mighty Mouse as a kid.  My sister and I would watch that show religiously every Saturday morning.  We would stand on the couch and jump off pretending we had a cape just like him, lol.  I must have been so naive or super sheltered because I had no idea there were drug references in the cartoon. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Well does anyone remember Gem and the Holograms? GI Joe? Those were my favorite. And of course Tom and Jerry. And they used to have some aerobics thingy on at 6am and I used to follow along before I ran out to get the bus at 7:30. See even as a kid I was a workout junkie.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I absolutely "loved" Mighty Mouse as a kid.  My sister and I would watch that show religiously every Saturday morning.  We would stand on the couch and jump off pretending we had a cape just like him, lol.  I must have been so naive or super sheltered because I had no idea there were drug references in the cartoon. 
I actually don't think they were intended to be drug references, and I don't recall a white powder.  I do remember the red flowers.  But the censor folks were VERY uptight.  That was back in the days when married couples slept in twin beds on television, and if a couple kissed, the woman had to have one foot off of the ground...don't ASK me why.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The episode where he snorts the powder was a "new" episode, from 1987, and it is assumed somebody snuck it in there for funsies :D.

if a couple kissed, the woman had to have one foot off of the ground
Haha, I got curious about that and did a little research. She didn't have to have one foot off the ground, but she did have to have at least one foot ON the ground (he couldn't sweep her entirely off her feet) during romantic scenes. This also applied to bed scenes (one person could sit on the side of the bed to talk to someone in the bed, as long as they had a foot on the ground). There is also some speculation that the raised foot was a bit of innuendo. :nono: ;)

Don't fall down the clickhole! http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/TheHaysCode?from=Main.HaysCode

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That was back in the days when married couples slept in twin beds on television, and if a couple kissed, the woman had to have one foot off of the ground...don't ASK me why.
     I looked it up also and read:

It's the leg closer to the camera. The idea is to suggest, in as wholesome a way as possible, that she's enjoying it. This harkens back to the days when moviemakers had to tread very lightly in terms of any kind of implication of sexual activity. It was taken for granted that the man initiated the kiss (otherwise she's a ****), and if you show the woman responding with moans or head movements or even grabbing the guy in a way suggesting that she might be thinking about more than the kiss, then she might be a ****, and the movie might not get distributed. You're not likely to find the leg-lifting stuff in "before the code" movies that can show female passion more directly, or in film noir, where the lower aspects of human nature are what you're supposed  to be noticing.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was more likely to have one foot ON the ground which meant no hanky panky is taking place here.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The episode where he snorts the powder was a "new" episode, from 1987, and it is assumed somebody snuck it in there for funsies
Haha, I got curious about that and did a little research. She didn't have to have one foot off the ground, but she did have to have at least one foot ON the ground (he couldn't sweep her entirely off her feet) during romantic scenes. This also applied to bed scenes (one person could sit on the side of the bed to talk to someone in the bed, as long as they had a foot on the ground). There is also some speculation that the raised foot was a bit of innuendo.

Don't fall down the clickhole! http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/TheHaysCode?from=Main.HaysCode
And now I know.  Thanks, guys.  AND I bookmarked the sight, because the clickhole beckons!

I have a bookcase.  It is NOT yet strapped to the wall.  Shall I do it today, thereby having to climb on my stepstool and then a kitchen chair again when the second on is done, or do I wait, and HOPE that I can reach both safety straps in one climbing?  These are the things that seniors living alone must ponder...

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Jes' sayin'

I mentioned on a PM today that I feel like a toothache.  I'm just getting the full effect of all that crawling and hauling with bookcase #1.  #2 and the strapping will definitely be waiting another day or two till I'm back to normal!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never watched many cartoons as a kid; we weren't allowed to watch T.V. at all on Saturday mornings, when the good cartoons were on, and on weekday mornings we had to leave early.  I watched Blinky the Clown, and Romper Room, and enough Loony Toons to know that I hated them.  But I loved Woody Woodpecker, and Felix the Cat.

More recently, I've become a fan of Duck Tales, Kim Possible, Timmy Time, and, of course, Scooby Doo.  Scooby has been on hiatus while they found someone to replace Casey Kasem, which I hear they've finally done; and the others are no longer being made (or aired); some of them are available on YouTube.  And then there was always the wonderful Bullwinkle Show.  Do you know why it was canceled?  There was an episode where it was suggested that it might be a good idea for Rocky and Bullwinkle to work with Natasha and Boris, in a case where their interests coincided.  It was during the cold war, and the censors decided the show was getting too big for its britches.

I still want Felix's magic bag...

Margret

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I channelled my daddy the other day.  Listening to an oldie by Walter Eagan - Magnet and Steel.  Daddy hated repetition with a passion and any time one of my songs, or any song on my favorite radio station would start repeating the same words over and over, my stomach would tighten up because I knew daddy was fixing to say something negative about it.  "They repeat the same d*** line 50 times!" he'd say. 

So the other day when Walter got to the end of the song and started singing "You are a magnet, I am steel..." over and over again, I hit the off button and yelled "She's a magnet and you're steel, Walter I GOT IT ALREADY!"  And I sat there in the silence.  It took me a few seconds to realize, and put my hand over my mouth.  I'm just like my daddy!  Now I GET why all the repetition bothered him so much because it bothers me now.  

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I channelled my daddy the other day.  Listening to an oldie by Walter Eagan - Magnet and Steel.  Daddy hated repetition with a passion and any time one of my songs, or any song on my favorite radio station would start repeating the same words over and over, my stomach would tighten up because I knew daddy was fixing to say something negative about it.  "They repeat the same d*** line 50 times!" he'd say. 

So the other day when Walter got to the end of the song and started singing "You are a magnet, I am steel..." over and over again, I hit the off button and yelled "She's a magnet and you're steel, Walter I GOT IT ALREADY!"  And I sat there in the silence.  It took me a few seconds to realize, and put my hand over my mouth.  I'm just like my daddy!  Now I GET why all the repetition bothered him so much because it bothers me now.  
Now this is something we can agree with.  

I think we had the same fathers. LOL  My dad hated hated hated Going Down by Springsteen.  I hear my dad in your post.

I'm starting to feel the same way.  Perhaps it's part of getting old. Sadly enough!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now this is something we can agree with.  

I think we had the same fathers. LOL  My dad hated hated hated Going Down by Springsteen.  I hear my dad in your post.

I'm starting to feel the same way.  Perhaps it's part of getting old. Sadly enough!
No, I was that way when I was young, and it wasn't my father.  For me, at least, it's the ear worm thing.  That kind of "hook" line is intended to keep the song going through your head, and I hate being unable to get a song out of my head.

For one semester in college, I had a roommate who insisted that she couldn't study without music, specifically the music of one particular radio station that I hated, for exactly this reason.  Neither one of us had headphones, and she didn't even have her own radio, so she played this radio station endlessly on my stereo.  It didn't have anything along the line of preset buttons, just dials, so essentially she took over my stereo because she "needed" it to study.  Even with my stereo she wasn't much of a student.  After one semester she dropped out because she couldn't stand having to live under the stringent rules of the college (things like having to be in the dorm by a certain hour -- this was in Northern California, and the Zodiac killer was on the loose).  I heard later that she'd joined the Marine Corps!  Not only was she a bad student, a user, and irrational, IMO she was certifiably insane.  (There were other indicators.)

Margret