Get a Siamese Cat? Yes/No? From Where?

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FIRST – I apologize I don’t know where the appropriate forum to post this at.

Story Time! If you want to skip – look belong the dotted line

I love cats – and animals in general.

I’m a bit angry/depressed and spiteful and maybe this post/what I want to do is lashing out. I don’t know. I had a tabby female cat named LaPuss

I moved from Canada to Florida – was supposed to “test” the waters and see if I’ll be staying. Once I settled down, I was going to bring my tabby female cat with me (I was going to bring her as my “carry” on a flight since I’d be close to her vs just shipping her over) – Figured this would be a <3 month ordeal. My tabby was staying with my parents. My mother does like cats, but she’s not overly found of LaPuss… my dad hates animals, adventures, fun, anything nice/new.

Anyway – COVID happened. All was shut down. Obstacle after obstacle… Canada is VERY behind. After trying and trying and failing… I decided to be patient. In the meantime, I have always wanted a GIANT cat – so Maine Coon? (I’ve always had tabbies – with the exception of 1 Himalayan cat that my brother was going to take to the humane society after divorce. My mother took him in and became responsible/completely in love with him. So maybe I wanted to try a different breed?). I got a male Maine Coon Cat since I was a bit lonely – no friends/family here… (currently 15 pounds @ 10.5 months – that jerk costs more to feed than me LOL). I was very excited to have my Maine Coon cat meet my female Tabby. I’m sure they would have gotten alone

So… last week – instead of pictures for some reason I asked my mother to face time my cat. She kept giving me excuses after excuses. Something was off – so I insisted on seeing her… then she started “laughing” too (Now that I think about it – it was a nervous laugh – she does that a lot but at the time I was sooooo angry). Then she told me she passed away and that I must’ve known that. HOW COULD I??? I kept sending her food/toys and asked how she did/pictures etc etc. So I haven’t spoken with my parents in the past week. My brother did and he said she allegedly died 2 months ago (who knows). My parents woke up and she was “puffed/blown/larger” in size and they came to find out she had passed through the night. In my mind I keep thinking – she’s only 10 years old… she was VERY healthy… not obese… she loved to play with toys… she loved to cuddle next to me. There was no sign of illness. Did my parents neglect to see any signs of illness? I know my dad doesn’t go near our animals and my mother is completely in love with the Himalayan not LaPuss. I know my parents would NEVER harm an animal – but neglecting to see signs maybe? Was it sudden? What does puffed/blown up cat even mean? Is this something that happens when an animal passes away (my previous tabbies were never puffed when they died in their sleep)… is it a symptom of a disease? Did she eat something bad?

………………………………………………………………………..

I was so sad and miserable for not being there for her. I hated myself. Then I became obsessive and thought I need another cat – if anything to play with my Maine Coon when I’m at work or take a trip etc. I recently came back from a 5 days trip (mostly hiking) at Georgia – my cat meow-cried when he saw me for a very long time. I went to the humane society… and every cat there reminded me of LaPuss/previous tabbies (my previous tabbies lived 15 and 17 years). I think I need a different breed – non-tabby.

I’m considering a female cat – since my Male Maine Coon shows signs of an alpha male (can’t have 2 alpha males I think). My Maine Coon is very high energy – LOVES to play. Not sure why – but I feel like a Siamese female cat (doesn’t look anything like a tabby!) might work.

Have I lost my mind? Am I just reacting? What do you folks think about my plan? I’ve mostly lived with my mother (father works far away – he moved back because of Covid as I moved away – the timing of it all) and we’ve always had 2 cats at a given time.

If I do decide to get a “breed” cat – Siamese or otherwise – which organization websites should I make sure they are part of. I got my Maine Coon cat from Poland (I like the European look more) – the only “European” Maine Coons MALES here were selling for either 5.9K (OMG!) or had a waiting list until Summer 2021. I did make sure she was part of European Groups and had a ton of references. My male kitty looks good - but also has an AMAZING personality. For possibly my Siamese kitty I want to look locally first.

Anyway – any thoughts/comments/criticism is appreciated

Thanks

PS. Feel free to privately message me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would rethink getting a female. They are standoffish when older and live to make the boys obey/behave. They rule with an iron paw and don't have a lot to do with other cats. In my opinion. Two males almost always bond and become friends. I have always loved Siamese and have had many over the years, mostly crossbreeds. I grew up with purebreds. They are very talkative, very energetic and stubborn. Maine coons are more laid back. They get along with others and so do Siamese. I would have no hesitation in getting a Siamese.
I am sorry about your little girl, may she rest in peace. It is inconceivable to me that they didn't notify you right away. I'm so sorry things didn't work out......

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are many of them out there, with their blue eyes and distinctive voice they are not hard to distinguish. Their fur has a different texture to it and they have a smell about them that is different from other cats too I noticed. not unpleasant, just there, where there is none on a domestic of different breeds.