Georgia Yamse - the cat from the US state of Georgia?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I live in Georgia, USA, and have never heard of a "yamse cat."  I did a google search and the only thing that came up was YOUR post above.  Here is a link to a list of cat breeds originating in the United States.  There is no Yamse cat among them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cat_breeds_originating_in_the_United_States
Tx for the try to response.

I wonder, is Yamse a legit american word?   If so, what exactly does it means?   I suppose its some sort of  jargong, nothing you find in the usual  Wordbooks.

This wikipedia list in no good proof in itself, as the breeds there are everyone recognized by at least one major cat association.

Local breeds are hardly in there.

But as you, a cat person, living in Georgia didnt had heard about them you either, is more telling...

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking "Georgian" has more to do with the "Georgian Era" than it does the place-Georgia. However, I still could not find anything about a yamse cat.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never even heard of the word Yamse. I have no idea what it means or if it is even a word. I clicked on the link you left and to be honest, the cats look like regular, domestic shorthairs. One looks to be a white and tabby mix and the other a brownish kitty. I think the forumist was lied to. I've lived in the South all my life and I've not ever come across as strange a word as that. Not even sure how to pronounce it really. I am pronouncing it as James.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright, I put yamse in google translate and it was found to be Turkish and it means Yams to. I guess like the sweet potatoes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see.  Tx all, folks!