Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
G is 'off' his food... dam.. even with the mirtz...
He is especially cuddly.. Even jumped on my lap a couple of times list night. He is NOT a lap cat. So I knew something was not right.

Updated Vet on this. Just after he said I do not have to do daily updates.. dam.

Today is a chemo day for him, and a very busy morning for me.. Lots of meds for him.. adding in S Bouladi and possibly a probiotic .... dam.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear Geoffrey took one step back. :sigh: Fingers crossed it's only temporary. :crossfingers: Did you hear back from the vet?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
G is 'off' his food... dam.. even with the mirtz...
He is especially cuddly.. Even jumped on my lap a couple of times list night. He is NOT a lap cat. So I knew something was not right.

Updated Vet on this. Just after he said I do not have to do daily updates.. dam.

Today is a chemo day for him, and a very busy morning for me.. Lots of meds for him.. adding in S Bouladi and possibly a probiotic .... dam.
The mirtz will make him cuddly. Betty wasn’t a lap cat for the first three months I had her. When she started Mirataz, that’s when she finally became a lap cat. Fortunately, the behavior remained after she quit the mirtz. It’s also possible that G understands you are trying to make him feel better. Krista was always very affectionate. But got even more so in those last few years when she knew all those vet visits and medicines were to help her feel better. She didn’t like most of them. But she knew. 😽😻 G probably does too.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Geoffrey is still not right. He was off his food, again. Not knowing if it is fussiness and/or being sick, or both. He is back to his prescription food.. not fooling around..

He is eating when I bring the wet food over to him. So, something.

It is a chemo day today.. ugh.

This afternoon, he pooped.. I watched.. It was still not completely formed. ugh..
More S Boulardi.. and Proviable DC-- only one I have, unless I use mine.

Vet wants another update tomorrow.

I kind of think it is the changes in food, along with ingredients which do not agree with his IBD.
This cat cannot get a break.. not at all.. and he is the sweetest thing.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat will not eat her food unless I crush in some freeze dried Orijen treats! Luckily her med is only once a day which I do at night now then she eats while i sleep locked in my bedroom. I think taking the pill before eating leaves an after taste in her mouth like coffee so she doesn't want to eat. I could give it after but I'd forget.
It seems like Geoffrey has good and bad days

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, Geoffrey is still not right. He was off his food, again. Not knowing if it is fussiness and/or being sick, or both. He is back to his prescription food.. not fooling around..

He is eating when I bring the wet food over to him. So, something.

It is a chemo day today.. ugh.

This afternoon, he pooped.. I watched.. It was still not completely formed. ugh..
More S Boulardi.. and Proviable DC-- only one I have, unless I use mine.

Vet wants another update tomorrow.

I kind of think it is the changes in food, along with ingredients which do not agree with his IBD.
This cat cannot get a break.. not at all.. and he is the sweetest thing.
I hope he feels better soon. The fact that he's eating the wet food when you bring it to him is good, even if it's not "normal". When Lila was sick a few years ago, she would only eat food if I fed it to her between my thumb and index finger. So I fed it to her between my thumb and index finger. What we won't do for them. :)
It seems like it always happens to the sweet ones, doesn't it...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Update: I have been giving the S Boulardi along with Provable DC to Geoffrey. His stools have been formed for a full day!!
Hooray! :happycat: 2 episodes of BMs!

He is also back to eating his RC PR exclusively.
I was giving the S Boulardi twice a day, just to see if he had any side effects from it. On Tuesday, I added another dose--up to 3 of my size 4 capsule. I did that for a couple of days! It did the trick. Back to two capsules yesterday. One today, and we will see.

I still do not know if this diarrhea was due to the food changes, or something else. I bet it was because of the food changes.

Geoffrey is still taking the mirtazapine. He has become so so so much sweeter.. as if that was possible.
He is just a loving, needy kitty. G even jumped on my lap the past couple of nights, while I was watching TV. That was heaven!! I have not had a cat on my lap since Artie--2018 .. It was wonderful.. but I could not move. Once I did, G jumped down. I ended up with cramps!! OMG.. what we do for love..

Geoffrey is even beating me to Bed!! He knows my routine. Just as I am about to sit on the bed, take slippers off, shut light off.. He is on top of the bed, waiting for me!! OMG.. He has 'his' spot.. right under the pillow, on the side away from the door. That is HIS side... I get into bed, he walks down to the feet area. I am not even settled in my side sleeping position, when he is already, ready to cuddle.. and yelling at me because I am taking so long.. OMG>. He then spoons with me!!
Sweet boy....

I stopped the Cerenia. I am fearful of stopping the Zofran and the Mirtaz. I like this new version of him. He is happier, and much more loving,-- does not seem as afraid of things. I think the Mirtaz is a good thing for him... But then, when/if he loses his appetite, what meds will he get? or will it be 'time'? I do not want to think of that..
I think I am just going to cut back on the amount.. see if I can get it down to 1/2 dose.. and then 1/4...

I need to pick up a new tube next week. sigh.. Dr B will not be happy with me asking for a new prescription. He did not give me any refills. His secretary is on vacation; so I will have to talk to his vet tech.
Getting to really know the entire group!

Geoffrey is still my love bug.

The only thing, negative: He is really getting tired of being medicated. I wish the Weruva was not the culprit of his diarrhea; because I was hiding the Zofran pill in the food. It was the only food he would lap the pill up with. He spits it out if I mix it with the RC PR..
He spit out the pills the other day, and scratched my left wrist, pushing my arm away. That time, it took 3 tries, plus finding it the capsule and pill on the floor. Yes, I am trying to give him 2 things at once. I should not, but, I am trying to combine things. Poor cat.. poor baby..

I may try a tiny piece of cheese. I should get some sliced American white Land O' Lakes.. and I have some Cracker Barrel
Sharp Cheddar in here. I may try it.

If you saw him-- you would not think he was so sick..unless you look along his spine, at the missing fur.
He is Happy.. and getting chunky!! He is my little baby boy.. my Mama's Boy.

D83A2610-BE40-4DB3-9A44-36B105297AFC.jpeg F49045BE-DF1D-4D5E-ABFC-D3FB2735D986.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish the Weruva was not the culprit of his diarrhea; because I was hiding the Zofran pill in the food. It was the only food he would lap the pill up with.
Do you think it would cause diarrhea if you fed him just enough Weruva to 'hide' the pills? You can store cat food in the fridge for several days. You can also freeze it. Are there some lickable treats you could hide the pills in? Feeby will take her meds in lickable treats without issue. In either case, I was thinking a small bite or two with each pill might not be enough to cause G diarrhea.

You may have already heard this before, but I use the same tube of Mirataz for two months vs. the 30 days that's recommended. I haven't noticed any change in its efficacy.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news! I dip her pill in tiki sticks so it will slide down her throat easier. I wish I could give my cat mirtaz but it makes her meow loud and aggressive

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pack Betty’s meds in a size five (smallest) gelatin capsule, twist it in Hills A/D and drop the food-coated pill on the carpet. Betty knows the drill by now and scoops and swallows any A/D coated capsules I drop on the carpet for her. She doesn’t get her meal until she takes her meds. It took us many weeks of lick and flicks. But she learned.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update: I have been giving the S Boulardi along with Provable DC to Geoffrey. His stools have been formed for a full day!!
Hooray! :happycat: 2 episodes of BMs!

He is also back to eating his RC PR exclusively.
I was giving the S Boulardi twice a day, just to see if he had any side effects from it. On Tuesday, I added another dose--up to 3 of my size 4 capsule. I did that for a couple of days! It did the trick. Back to two capsules yesterday. One today, and we will see.

I still do not know if this diarrhea was due to the food changes, or something else. I bet it was because of the food changes.

Geoffrey is still taking the mirtazapine. He has become so so so much sweeter.. as if that was possible.
He is just a loving, needy kitty. G even jumped on my lap the past couple of nights, while I was watching TV. That was heaven!! I have not had a cat on my lap since Artie--2018 .. It was wonderful.. but I could not move. Once I did, G jumped down. I ended up with cramps!! OMG.. what we do for love..

Geoffrey is even beating me to Bed!! He knows my routine. Just as I am about to sit on the bed, take slippers off, shut light off.. He is on top of the bed, waiting for me!! OMG.. He has 'his' spot.. right under the pillow, on the side away from the door. That is HIS side... I get into bed, he walks down to the feet area. I am not even settled in my side sleeping position, when he is already, ready to cuddle.. and yelling at me because I am taking so long.. OMG>. He then spoons with me!!
Sweet boy....

I stopped the Cerenia. I am fearful of stopping the Zofran and the Mirtaz. I like this new version of him. He is happier, and much more loving,-- does not seem as afraid of things. I think the Mirtaz is a good thing for him... But then, when/if he loses his appetite, what meds will he get? or will it be 'time'? I do not want to think of that..
I think I am just going to cut back on the amount.. see if I can get it down to 1/2 dose.. and then 1/4...

I need to pick up a new tube next week. sigh.. Dr B will not be happy with me asking for a new prescription. He did not give me any refills. His secretary is on vacation; so I will have to talk to his vet tech.
Getting to really know the entire group!

Geoffrey is still my love bug.

The only thing, negative: He is really getting tired of being medicated. I wish the Weruva was not the culprit of his diarrhea; because I was hiding the Zofran pill in the food. It was the only food he would lap the pill up with. He spits it out if I mix it with the RC PR..
He spit out the pills the other day, and scratched my left wrist, pushing my arm away. That time, it took 3 tries, plus finding it the capsule and pill on the floor. Yes, I am trying to give him 2 things at once. I should not, but, I am trying to combine things. Poor cat.. poor baby..

I may try a tiny piece of cheese. I should get some sliced American white Land O' Lakes.. and I have some Cracker Barrel
Sharp Cheddar in here. I may try it.

If you saw him-- you would not think he was so sick..unless you look along his spine, at the missing fur.
He is Happy.. and getting chunky!! He is my little baby boy.. my Mama's Boy.

View attachment 432830View attachment 432831
He looks like he's ready to play in that first picture!!! And what a sweetheart with his little pickle in the second photo. He's one lucky little cat to have you.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I had someone here yesterday. Geoffrey is getting used to her. She is my cleaner, who comes in every other Saturday to scrub bathroom, especially the floor----litter box area.

She listened and watched how Geoffrey and I interact. She just loves the way I talk to him. She started doing it to her
semi-feral cat. She was shocked that he responded positively!!
She also watched G and I together-- a bit of brushing, and walking around, talking.
The immediate comment from her was: "He really loves you. He really does."

daftcat75 daftcat75 Thanks for the information, but I am not going to put food on the carpet. I rent, I cannot do a demo clean on it at least twice a day.. thank but, no...

And I am afraid of using a 'bad' food for him.. I do not want to upset his system anymore. Poor kitty has been through so much..

Another normal-hard poop!! Now it is going the other way! No S Boulardi yesterday. UGH..
May have to give a bit of miralax, if he does not go today.

I gave him 1/2 dose of Mirtaz. last night. Yes, at night, because he gets so much during the day.. about 6pm. It does affect him badly. In fact, it does the opposite. I think it is good for him.

I am going to start the Visobiome probiotics. I think.. instead of the Proviable DC.. It cannot hurt him. I take probiotics, myself.
Gotta go...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not going to put food on the carpet. I rent,
You could take a small washable rug or maybe even a fabric placemat and try using that rather than the carpet.

I asked earlier about the Weruva, but think you may have missed the post - here it is again (Post #429 above):
Do you think it would cause diarrhea if you fed him just enough Weruva to 'hide' the pills? You can store cat food in the fridge for several days. You can also freeze it. Are there some lickable treats you could hide the pills in? Feeby will take her meds in lickable treats without issue. In either case, I was thinking a small bite or two with each pill might not be enough to cause G diarrhea.

You may have already heard this before, but I use the same tube of Mirataz for two months vs. the 30 days that's recommended. I haven't noticed any change in its efficacy.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
You could take a small washable rug or maybe even a fabric placemat and try using that rather than the carpet.

I asked earlier about the Weruva, but think you may have missed the post - here it is again (Post #429 above):

I did see your post. I am afraid of giving him any food other than the prescription. I do not want him to get sick again.
Thanks for the thoughts..

Geoffrey has been through so much, since May; endoscopy with biopsies, bronchitis, overload of pred, began chemo,
reaction to pred, change in food--due to his sudden aversion to the RC rabbit (perhaps bad batch), not eating, and then the diarrhea.. Too much for one cat, in such a short period of time. I am not going to tempt fate. Geoffrey needs a break.
He needs some time to just be ok.. IF that is possible.

The Mirtz.. I am giving it daily. It is a tiny tube. There is a guide on the side of the box, as to how long a strip is for the dose.
It is not a 'twist' dose. It is a regular tube, so I can manually adjust how much I give.

I know you can use some drugs past the expiration date. I am currently using, for myself, an ointment which expired in February of this year;; until I get a new script. It is very expensive. There is always a 'safety margin' in these expiration dates; but I do not got much past the date.

Thanks... ((hugs))

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I am so afraid to post, for fear of jinxing things.... but ...
Geoffrey has been doing good. No diarrhea, now back to his normal hard stools, so miralax has been restarted.

The ImVet is happy with things. He said I can begin decreasing doses, and eliminating some, as I see fit. He left it up to me. He also said I do not need to send in any updates, unless I need to.

We completely discontinued the Cerenia. Honestly, I do not feel it was helping him, at all. He is still taking the Zofran twice a day. The Pred is long gone. He is taking budesonide. It seems to be agreeing with him, much better than the pred.
With the mirtazapine, I started cutting the dose in half, a couple days ago. We will see.
Chlorambucil is always on.. every other day.
I also stopped the Provialble DC, and the S Boulardi, as soon as his stools returned to normal. I am still debating about giving him some type of probiotic.. perhaps Visabiome. Not sure as of yet.
~~
Geoffrey is alert, talking, cuddling, acting very normal. He looks normal! The only thing that looks abnormal is his missing fur.. It is getting larger and larger.. I make me feel bad to see this. It is either from the Budesonide or the Chlorambucil.
The IMVet feels it is from overgrowing.. but I do not think so. Gut says it is medication induced.

I found a nice side effect of the mirtazapine. I am so hesitant to stop it!!! Since beginning this drug, Geoffrey has become a LAP CAT, at night. Yup... I do not know if it is the throw/blanket I am using on me, or if he really means it.
He seems to want more and more attention... In the evening, he is usually in either his carrier, kept out in the living area,
behind my recliner, on a scatter rug which is on a box... or on my lap!!
He also calls me when he wants love and cuddles. He is back to eating the RC PR prescription food, only.. nothing else.

Geoffrey really knows my nighttime routine. He knows what time I should be going to bed, and bugs me if I miss it!! He yells!! and Yells... When I am getting into bed, before I shut the bedroom light off, he is already on top of the bed, waiting for me.. my love bug.

Since I fell, hurting knee, and back, I have been resting so much. I am wide awake at bed time. I have been staying up until 2 AM!! not good. Geoffrey is not happy!! He has been Yelling at me, after 10pm, to go to bed!! jumping on my lap, yelling!!
And since I am going to bed so late, I sleep late. NOPE.. Not with Geoffrey, my alarm clock!! It is usually between
7:30-8:00 AM that he will start waking me up! By Yelling in my FACE and EAR!! until I get up. NO, he is not out of food. He has some left in his bowl. Geoffrey just wants me UP!! Fro no reason!! OPEN Blinds, so he can look out!!

Geoffrey is still in the habit of jumping on top of my printer. It is on top of a chest of drawers, in our bedroom. I have a large white towel to keep the cat fur from entering the printer. Geoffrey loves lying on the printer, looking out the window.
When I go over to him, He rolls over, reaches out for me, starts kneading, and loves to head bop me.. This afternoon, he was so involved with head bopping, rolling over, that he almost fell off the printer!! so sweet.

I am still taking things one day at a time.. things can change so fast.. I am enjoying what I have.. and loving him.

I really love this little boy... he is so sweet. so so so sweet.. my little boy.... He also 'helps' me make my bed, when I change the sheets. He loves his quilt tent-every morning!

Last night, around 1am, he had the Zoomies!! OMG!! I have not seen that for so long! He usually got them after he pooped.. but this time, he peed, and Zoomed, jumping on top of his cat tree a couple of times!! He actually missed one time, because he was zooming so fast!! This put a real smile on my face. Made me feel so good.

I cannot help thinking that all this cuddling, lap time, is not all from the mirtazapine, but also Geoffrey realizing and trying to show me how much he appreciates what I am doing for him.. and how much he loves me for doing so...
He is thanking me..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So happy to read that things are going well with Geoffrey. He's so lucky you were the purrson that adopted him, as you are so good with figuring out doses and whatnot pertaining to medications.
Sorry you hurt your back. Hope it feels better soon. Meanwhile just enjoy all the cuddles and love from your boy. :redheartpump::petcat:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I posted too soon, or I jinxed us.. ugh
Geoffrey vomited during the night.. Yup, back to back vomits, on my bedroom carpet, then into litter box to poop, then back to litter box to pee!! That is his routine when he vomits-- it comes in pairs; as if one is not getting it all up.

I am too lazy to clean it up right now, I will, when I start my day stuff. It seems as if a tiny tiny fur ball is in one. I was expecting a fur ball, because he regurgitated some water the other day, food has been down a tiny bit, and he has been yelling.

No breakfast as of yet. I need to medicate him, and I do not want to do it on an empty stomach.. ugh.. but if I have to, I will.
I am also going to give him some laxatone today, along with his chemo. He is not going to have a good day, from me...
poor baby.