Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Time for another update...
Geoffrey is still here, hanging in there. Since changing his meds up--- giving different and more meds, and the mirtazapine, he is now eating me out of house and home. He has regained all his lost weight, plus more--now a piggy.
He is alert, not as chatty as I thought he would be while on the mirtz. Geoffrey yells at me when his food bowl is empty; and I mean YELLS!!

Geoffrey is getting fussy with food also; getting tired of the Rawz. I am now in the habit of giving him some Weruva non- chicken food, (dislikes beef), as a treat for the nightly Zofran. I give him 1/2 of a can for that; along with a spoonful of Rawz in the morning. This is instead of pilling him.

He is so alert!! I had a visitor here on Saturday. The comment was, "Looking at him, you would never know he was sick."
I have to agree. He looks good, except for the missing fur.

I tried not giving him Cerenia today. I think he ?May? need it on chemo days; not on other days. I think the Zofran is helping him.
Since he has gained so much weight and is getting fussy with food; I cut back on the mirtz dose tonight. He is still taking it daily. IMVet will be in on Wednesday.

Thursday, Geoffrey has blood tests and a urinalysis scheduled. The urinalysis is to see if he is spilling glucose into his urine. I pray none will show up.. but with our luck...

Geoffrey is getting much more cuddly.. if that was possible. Still not a lap cat. He is back to jumping on top of my printer which is in my bedroom, on top of my chest of drawers. He loves it.. From that vantage point, he can look straight out the window, watching things. When I go over to him, we head bop, he immediately begins purring, stretching, and rolling over--as I say: doing "tricks"... Always purring.

During the evening, when I am on my recliner, Geoffrey is right behind me, on a box, which has a scatter rug on top of it.
He knows when I am going to bed, He is jumping on top of the bed, BEFORE I even get in it!! Wanting to cuddle!!

Geoffrey cuddles all night with me!! I mean cuddles, right up against me. His spine has to be against me.. or his bum.. or his side!! He is upset when I move!! and he is constantly purring..

I think he understands that I am trying to help him.. but he is still a cat.. He spit out a pill this morning. I did not realize it, until I was vacuuming!! I told him off for doing that!! He just looked at me..

Right now, he is in his carrier, located in the living area, waiting for his Weruva Treat.. At 5 pm, I told him that it was too early. He did not like that.

Fingers crossed about the blood test. I dread Thursday. Our appointment is at 11am... I will know the results by that night.
View attachment 431976View attachment 431977
I ran across your very first post about him. I wasn't sure if I should post it,but I copied it if you want to take a peak

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey loves the Weruva Lamburgini.. I bought a couple of larger cans for him. He will get that tomorrow, and a couple days later, as a pill 'treat'. I also give him about 1/2 3 oz can as a food 'treat'.

He seems to really like salmon. Who knew? Not all that crazy about tuna, but.. He went went wild for Weruva tuna and salmon, yesterday. Of course, I pick the most expensive OTC food..
Yes, he is tired of the Rawz. I think it is just rabbit in general, that he is tired of; but I will not change.. He has IBD and SCL..So, no chicken. I tried the RC hydrolyzed treats, he vomited that immediately. It contains hydrolyzed chicken. I gave the rest of the bag away. The freeze dried salmon treats are a huge hit. I take off the skin, as it is hard, and sharp. He goes crazy for it. It is my stand-by treats.. to see if he is being fussy or does not have an appetite.

Geoffrey does not seem to be running away from me, as much as he did 2 weeks ago. Yes, he is still gun-shy. I think for some reason he knows what I am trying to do for him. Maybe it is just the food? Perhaps in his mind, love is equated with food? I do not know. All I know is that he is purring so much! Always, when I touch him. Head butts, purrs.. His love for being brushed is still there. That has never left. The length of the brushing sessions have decreased a bit, but not the number of them in the course of the day.

He is fat now. His weight fluctuations are not good. He can gain or lose weight so fast.. almost overnight. Weird.

Geoffrey is not interested in play. Not at all. I tried his favorite wand toys.. nothing. He pretty much stays in my bedroom--his safe room, until late afternoon and evening. Then he is near me.. That is when it is safe to come out--no meds.

this is a picture of him on top of the box, behind my recliner---I unplugged the lamp-- just in case. He does not chew on cords.. but
FDE4A227-E987-46C5-8A24-00281482008B.jpeg FDE4A227-E987-46C5-8A24-00281482008B.jpeg
Please disregard the shoes. I keep them there, because of all the vomiting he has had. One time, he threw up on a sandal, another time a slipper... so they are stored in a box.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey loves the Weruva Lamburgini.. I bought a couple of larger cans for him. He will get that tomorrow, and a couple days later, as a pill 'treat'. I also give him about 1/2 3 oz can as a food 'treat'.

He seems to really like salmon. Who knew? Not all that crazy about tuna, but.. He went went wild for Weruva tuna and salmon, yesterday. Of course, I pick the most expensive OTC food..
Yes, he is tired of the Rawz. I think it is just rabbit in general, that he is tired of; but I will not change.. He has IBD and SCL..So, no chicken. I tried the RC hydrolyzed treats, he vomited that immediately. It contains hydrolyzed chicken. I gave the rest of the bag away. The freeze dried salmon treats are a huge hit. I take off the skin, as it is hard, and sharp. He goes crazy for it. It is my stand-by treats.. to see if he is being fussy or does not have an appetite.

Geoffrey does not seem to be running away from me, as much as he did 2 weeks ago. Yes, he is still gun-shy. I think for some reason he knows what I am trying to do for him. Maybe it is just the food? Perhaps in his mind, love is equated with food? I do not know. All I know is that he is purring so much! Always, when I touch him. Head butts, purrs.. His love for being brushed is still there. That has never left. The length of the brushing sessions have decreased a bit, but not the number of them in the course of the day.

He is fat now. His weight fluctuations are not good. He can gain or lose weight so fast.. almost overnight. Weird.

Geoffrey is not interested in play. Not at all. I tried his favorite wand toys.. nothing. He pretty much stays in my bedroom--his safe room, until late afternoon and evening. Then he is near me.. That is when it is safe to come out--no meds.

this is a picture of him on top of the box, behind my recliner---I unplugged the lamp-- just in case. He does not chew on cords.. but
View attachment 432000View attachment 432000
Please disregard the shoes. I keep them there, because of all the vomiting he has had. One time, he threw up on a sandal, another time a slipper... so they are stored in a box.
Geoffrey looks VERY healthy and handsome! His coat looks very soft and plushy. His "throne" looks nice and comfy, too. Just his size and very soft.
It's great that he loves the lamb! Maybe there are some other brands that would be okay for him to try? And would soaking the salmon skin in warm water soften it up and un-rough the edges, or is he okay with it the way it is?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey looks VERY healthy and handsome! His coat looks very soft and plushy. His "throne" looks nice and comfy, too. Just his size and very soft.
It's great that he loves the lamb! Maybe there are some other brands that would be okay for him to try? And would soaking the salmon skin in warm water soften it up and un-rough the edges, or is he okay with it the way it is?
That white strip along the spine is his missing fur. Yes, he is very silky. If I do not brush him, his fur gets a bit coarser. He is always grooming.

I have to agree, he is very healthy looking.. I hope this new regimen of medications is agreeing with him. He is happy. He is alert, He is eating (mirtz).. and now, he is pooping twice a day.. not a lot at a time, but he is going. I give him miralax once a day.

I found something very strange though. When we first switched over to the Budesonide, his poops smelt like something had died in him!! Seriously!! I thought it was the Weruva Fish food-- it smelled gross... but after 2 days, it is now, human smelling poops. So I am not worried about that. But it was weird.

No, I am not going to switch him over to lamb. At this point, no.. It is the variety that he wants. And If I have to pay out an arm and a leg, for his food.. I will do it. I think Weruva is a fairly good band.. Heavy on fish; but, again, at this point; If he eats it, it is good for him--in moderation.

He just came out from napping .. Now he is on sitting on top of my desk, looking out the window.. at birds, cars, or whatever is out there. a flag waving in the breeze, etc... opps. jumped down, back to my bedroom..

He is so alert; wanting so much love and attention from me. He knows I am trying my best to help him.

Got the reimbursement from his insurance, for the last IMVet visit with blood tests.. Thank God I picked this plan.
Got CareCredit paid off.. Only to add Thursday's blood test to it!! Can never win....
But he is my baby..

Soaking the salmon skin is not worth it for me. I sit on the floor, with the package between my legs. I have a small saucer for Geoffrey. I sit there, picking apart the freeze dried salmon. The pieces are huge for a cat-- and dry. Geoffrey runs over, as if he was being food deprived, purring; all over me for the salmon. I put it on the saucer for him.

OMGosh!! Geoffrey just jumped onto his cat tree!!! himself!! OMG>. that has not happening in months!! OMG>>
He is curled up in the hiding box, looking out the opening at the beach and stuff.. OMG>> I am so happy!!!

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That white strip along the spine is his missing fur. Yes, he is very silky. If I do not brush him, his fur gets a bit coarser. He is always grooming.

I have to agree, he is very healthy looking.. I hope this new regimen of medications is agreeing with him. He is happy. He is alert, He is eating (mirtz).. and now, he is pooping twice a day.. not a lot at a time, but he is going. I give him miralax once a day.

I found something very strange though. When we first switched over to the Budesonide, his poops smelt like something had died in him!! Seriously!! I thought it was the Weruva Fish food-- it smelled gross... but after 2 days, it is now, human smelling poops. So I am not worried about that. But it was weird.

No, I am not going to switch him over to lamb. At this point, no.. It is the variety that he wants. And If I have to pay out an arm and a leg, for his food.. I will do it. I think Weruva is a fairly good band.. Heavy on fish; but, again, at this point; If he eats it, it is good for him--in moderation.

He just came out from napping .. Now he is on sitting on top of my desk, looking out the window.. at birds, cars, or whatever is out there. a flag waving in the breeze, etc... opps. jumped down, back to my bedroom..

He is so alert; wanting so much love and attention from me. He knows I am trying my best to help him.

Got the reimbursement from his insurance, for the last IMVet visit with blood tests.. Thank God I picked this plan.
Got CareCredit paid off.. Only to add Thursday's blood test to it!! Can never win....
But he is my baby..

Soaking the salmon skin is not worth it for me. I sit on the floor, with the package between my legs. I have a small saucer for Geoffrey. I sit there, picking apart the freeze dried salmon. The pieces are huge for a cat-- and dry. Geoffrey runs over, as if he was being food deprived, purring; all over me for the salmon. I put it on the saucer for him.

OMGosh!! Geoffrey just jumped onto his cat tree!!! himself!! OMG>. that has not happening in months!! OMG>>
He is curled up in the hiding box, looking out the opening at the beach and stuff.. OMG>> I am so happy!!!
You might look into Soulistic, which is available only through Petco and made by Weruva. Many of the varieties are fish, but there are some others Geoffrey might like.
Yes, drugs can really mess up the digestive system!
Glad your insurance/CareCredit is helpful!
You go, Geoffrey! He's sounding very perky and happy! :redheartpump: :redcat: :redheartpump: :goldstar::cheerleader:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That's fantastic, I'm glad you were reimbursed from the pet insurance co. Do you mind sharing what company/plan it is?

OMGosh!! Geoffrey just jumped onto his cat tree!!! himself!! OMG>. that has not happening in months!! OMG>>He is curled up in the hiding box, looking out the opening at the beach and stuff.. OMG>> I am so happy!!!
Doing the happy dance for Geoffrey and you! :dance:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I will share the insurance plan I have, but they were bought out, and do not offer the same plan. I lucked out..
Originally, I picked PetPlan-- it was bought out by Fetch..

I cannot complain at all. They have been very good.. Still, fingers are crossed each time I submit a claim.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update you on Geoffrey's latest testing results. I was told everything is good! He had a kidney panel, and a urinalysis. Geoffrey is not pre-diabetic! at this moment!! No glucose in urine!! It was the prednisolone!

I was given the authority, by Dr B, to slowly discontinue most of the meds--- not the Budesonde or Chemo. I guess he trusts me!!
I will do it slowly, one at a time.. but I do feel strongly about discontinuing or reducing the Zofran and Mirtaz..

Since this new combination of drugs began; Geoffrey has pretty much returned back to his normal self. In some ways a bit better. He is still not playing, but...

The Budesonide is aiding him so much.. The pred was wrong for him.
The mirtazapine ointment is good for him. He is not as anxious as he normally is. Yes, his appetite has increased; but, I seem to be able to control that. He does pace after a dose, but calms down soon.. It is easier to control the dose by using the ointment.
The mirtz has turned Geoffrey into a purring, more cuddling--if that could happen-- HAPPIER kitty. he is always purring when I touch him. He is not as frightened of things. He feels so much better. The look on his face is much more calmer.
I think I am going to keep the mirtaz, at least a small amount. I think it is good for him.

The IMVet said that I do not have to give any more updates, unless I have a question or an issue. He will respond immediately, and if needed, see Geoffrey ASAP for any issue.
The next appointment with exam and blood test will be in 2 months.. or sooner, if needed!!

OMG....
Geoffrey is feeling so much better, that now he is fussing with his food!! I was giving him 1/2 a can of Weruva with a sliver of the Zofran hidden in it. Now, he wants Weruva, exclusively!! NOPE. Yesterday, despite the mirtz,, he was on strike with the Rawz... Nope, not gonna create a monster.. no way.. not at this time.. nope..

Bad Mama had to come out! Bad Mama was here all day yesterday, staying overnight, and is still here today!! NOPE!!
Geoffrey is not happy about seeing Bad Mama.. too bad... and now, he is onto of kitchen counter, table, looking for the Weruva...

Gotta get going.. It is a chemo day.. and he needs his budesonide.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That is a wonderful and encouraging update! :thumbsup: Knowing that Geoffrey is a much happier kitty, purring and calmer makes us all feel better.:grouphug:

Thanks for the info. on the pet insurance. Although Carleton is a senior and has had too many other health issues to be insured it's something I might like to look into down the road.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update you on Geoffrey's latest testing results. I was told everything is good! He had a kidney panel, and a urinalysis. Geoffrey is not pre-diabetic! at this moment!! No glucose in urine!! It was the prednisolone!

I was given the authority, by Dr B, to slowly discontinue most of the meds--- not the Budesonde or Chemo. I guess he trusts me!!
I will do it slowly, one at a time.. but I do feel strongly about discontinuing or reducing the Zofran and Mirtaz..

Since this new combination of drugs began; Geoffrey has pretty much returned back to his normal self. In some ways a bit better. He is still not playing, but...

The Budesonide is aiding him so much.. The pred was wrong for him.
The mirtazapine ointment is good for him. He is not as anxious as he normally is. Yes, his appetite has increased; but, I seem to be able to control that. He does pace after a dose, but calms down soon.. It is easier to control the dose by using the ointment.
The mirtz has turned Geoffrey into a purring, more cuddling--if that could happen-- HAPPIER kitty. he is always purring when I touch him. He is not as frightened of things. He feels so much better. The look on his face is much more calmer.
I think I am going to keep the mirtaz, at least a small amount. I think it is good for him.

The IMVet said that I do not have to give any more updates, unless I have a question or an issue. He will respond immediately, and if needed, see Geoffrey ASAP for any issue.
The next appointment with exam and blood test will be in 2 months.. or sooner, if needed!!

OMG....
Geoffrey is feeling so much better, that now he is fussing with his food!! I was giving him 1/2 a can of Weruva with a sliver of the Zofran hidden in it. Now, he wants Weruva, exclusively!! NOPE. Yesterday, despite the mirtz,, he was on strike with the Rawz... Nope, not gonna create a monster.. no way.. not at this time.. nope..

Bad Mama had to come out! Bad Mama was here all day yesterday, staying overnight, and is still here today!! NOPE!!
Geoffrey is not happy about seeing Bad Mama.. too bad... and now, he is onto of kitchen counter, table, looking for the Weruva...

Gotta get going.. It is a chemo day.. and he needs his budesonide.
Yeah, sometimes Bad Mama has to appear, so that Good Geoffrey will continue to be Good Geoffrey;):insertevillaugh:
What a WONDERFUL update!
It'll be interesting to see what daftcat75 daftcat75 has to say about all of this.
:redheartpump::redcat::redheartpump::cheerleader::goldstar:*SNORGLES* on the little man!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Right there with you on how snuggly Geoffrey is! Zorro purrs and purrs and wrings every snorgle he can get out of me throughout the day & into the night: almost a combo of seeking the comfort, b/c of experiencing so much medicine, and then I’m sure on chemo days it’s just reassuring to have consistent Tea and Sympathy. I forget sometimes, b/c they can be so aloof, that giving a cat love is as vital & healing as all of this medicine. :hearthrob:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Bad Mama had to go out this morning. It was a chemo day, and I did not want to do it on an empty stomach. So Geoffrey won--dam.. He got a Weruva pouch. Yes, I know.. too much fish.. I wanted to slowly wean him off of it.. but...

Now, he is on hunger strike with the Rawz... Bad Mama returned to give him some Mirtz. And the Zofran will be pilled tonight, as it was this morning from his 'strike'...

He is not even getting the Dry RC food. Nope.. He is going to eat the Rawz.. He has to. I cannot give in to his demands.. changing food every 3 weeks or so... nope...