Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
strider rose strider rose I have not been home much during the day. Geoffrey had a huge breakfast, of wet food-- over 1/2 of a 5 oz can. I left a tiny bit of dry out.. He did not finish it. I added a bit more. We will see overnight. He has to lose some weight. He gained 2 lbs, since May. I have to lose weight also.. so we will diet together.

Hopefully the decreased steroid dose will cause a bit of a decrease in his appetite.
It was a chemo day, today.

Thanks for asking.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank You.. I just had a good cry... love you...everyone..and daftcat75 daftcat75 especially, and iPappy iPappy and @tabbytom
Now it is time for bed.. I have been listening to classical music while I have been on line, this late evening...
HOORAY!! The CBC is normal!! No Anemia.. Dr B just called me!! at 7:30 AM!!! So nice!!
We are going to cut the prednisolone dose in half, because Geoffrey may be very sensitive to it.

He explained the anemia was only down one point and now the WBC is up one point.. so within margin of error. Explained the only true way to see the path of SCL is scoping, and we are NOT going to do that. We will follow with CBC and symptoms..

Next month he will have a Vet appointment and have his blood sugar tested. Meanwhile, with the decreased dose of Pred, I am to decrease his food intake... He is an eating machine!!

I feel so much better. He will feel better also, with one less medication.. and hopefully fur will regrow, a bit.

The way it was explained is that, Geoffrey has been feeling sick for so long; that now, he does not feel sick and is really enjoying food; and the large steroid dose is not helping him. It has stopped his vomiting.. so we will see.
This is AWESOME. I am so happy for you guys!!! My dog was on pred and he was on a decent sized dose and he acted really punky, like Geoffrey has been with hiding and stuff. Maybe the decreased dose of pred will help him act more like his old self.
Now, it's time for YOU to be able to relax a bit :)

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
This is AWESOME. I am so happy for you guys!!! My dog was on pred and he was on a decent sized dose and he acted really punky, like Geoffrey has been with hiding and stuff. Maybe the decreased dose of pred will help him act more like his old self.
Now, it's time for YOU to be able to relax a bit :)
Thank you...Yes, I have been under a ton of stress since the 4th of July, when anemia suspected.. and then just with Geoffrey's demeanor.. really worried, and feeling like a downward spiral.. it has affected tons of stuff in my life.. That is not good, and I have to learn how to somehow deal with this...

I am hoping for a few relaxing days... Tomorrow more laundry.. and a newspaper meeting.. nothing new form me.. still working article---which I have really put off, due to all the badness which has happened.
I tried throwing a few bocce balls today---stunk.. Tried the corn hold--stunk... just out of it.. I am hoping I can get back into enjoying some things..and not just going through the motions...and not to have any more conflicts...

I never realized how much Geoffrey means to me... I guess I am really needing an Emotional Support Animal---no matter how dependent they are on me..

Something about me that I have noticed: I always like and was interested in animals.. cats more so.. Grew up watching Marlon Perkins Animal Kingdom, Sea Hunt, etc... But since I adopted Artie, and now Geoffrey-- I am sp emotionally involved in animals.. I feel for them...and my ESA's especially... I have had so much bad luck with Artie and Geoffrey.. but I need them as much as they need me... I really feel empathy and an enormous connection with them..

Geoffrey is searching for more food.. After his massive breakfast, he did not nibble much during the day..Now it is night. He is looking for more food. I gave him 1/6 cup of dry during the day--jsut. bit of nibbling. Gave him another 1/3 cup for supper.. Now he is looking for more.. Not going to have him starving. He will get another 1/3 cup when I go to bed...

OMG... Geoffrey just came over to his Pickle!! Rolling all over it! Seeing this, Makes my heart sing..

I know, I am really crazy.. nuts.. ridiculously in love with my baby... Now he is just on his "rug", on top of his Pickle!!

I need to get ready for bed... It was a busy, but such a good day.. So strange that my mood is vastly affectedly by how
Geffie is doing...I am so weird...

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you...Yes, I have been under a ton of stress since the 4th of July, when anemia suspected.. and then just with Geoffrey's demeanor.. really worried, and feeling like a downward spiral.. it has affected tons of stuff in my life.. That is not good, and I have to learn how to somehow deal with this...

I am hoping for a few relaxing days... Tomorrow more laundry.. and a newspaper meeting.. nothing new form me.. still working article---which I have really put off, due to all the badness which has happened.
I tried throwing a few bocce balls today---stunk.. Tried the corn hold--stunk... just out of it.. I am hoping I can get back into enjoying some things..and not just going through the motions...and not to have any more conflicts...

I never realized how much Geoffrey means to me... I guess I am really needing an Emotional Support Animal---no matter how dependent they are on me..

Something about me that I have noticed: I always like and was interested in animals.. cats more so.. Grew up watching Marlon Perkins Animal Kingdom, Sea Hunt, etc... But since I adopted Artie, and now Geoffrey-- I am sp emotionally involved in animals.. I feel for them...and my ESA's especially... I have had so much bad luck with Artie and Geoffrey.. but I need them as much as they need me... I really feel empathy and an enormous connection with them..

Geoffrey is searching for more food.. After his massive breakfast, he did not nibble much during the day..Now it is night. He is looking for more food. I gave him 1/6 cup of dry during the day--jsut. bit of nibbling. Gave him another 1/3 cup for supper.. Now he is looking for more.. Not going to have him starving. He will get another 1/3 cup when I go to bed...

OMG... Geoffrey just came over to his Pickle!! Rolling all over it! Seeing this, Makes my heart sing..

I know, I am really crazy.. nuts.. ridiculously in love with my baby... Now he is just on his "rug", on top of his Pickle!!

I need to get ready for bed... It was a busy, but such a good day.. So strange that my mood is vastly affectedly by how
Geffie is doing...I am so weird...
If you're crazy, nuts and weird, hand me a badge that says "Hello, my name is Crazy, Nuts and Weird" because your moods being affected by how he is doing is EXACTLY how I've felt with my dog. If he has a good day, suddenly I'm having a GREAT day!! I can clean the house! I'll clean out my car! I'll fly to the moon and bring back some samples for NASA because that's just the kind of swell gal I am! If he's having a bad day, who cares if the house is clean? Who cares if my car is trashed? Let NASA get their own samples. If I'm home that day, I spend more time just sitting and staring at walls than I care to admit.
Every other cancer I've had in my pets has been a case of not knowing there was anything wrong until it was too late, and they were in so much pain that there was no other choice. This time, there is hope, but it's very much a roller coaster. Even though my brain knows I'm being stupid, if he has a bad day I feel like it's somehow my fault. It's definitely affected my work life, and I've had to set some boundaries I really didn't ever see myself setting. But his treatments come first and luckily for me, NO ONE has complained.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Pickle Rules. My cat hasn’t recently bit it or kicked it, but NEEDS it…seems to be his cuddle buddy. it is understandable you feel more uplifted—- you’ve both had a reprieve! IPappy is right: treat yourself to something for you.
Are these the catnip pickles I see that are available on Chewy? I need to place an order anyway... ;)

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
strider rose strider rose I have not been home much during the day. Geoffrey had a huge breakfast, of wet food-- over 1/2 of a 5 oz can. I left a tiny bit of dry out.. He did not finish it. I added a bit more. We will see overnight. He has to lose some weight. He gained 2 lbs, since May. I have to lose weight also.. so we will diet together.

Hopefully the decreased steroid dose will cause a bit of a decrease in his appetite.
It was a chemo day, today.

Thanks for asking.
artiemom artiemom your not alone , i should lose some weight too but its so hard though

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think Chewy has the "pickle". I think I picked it up at PetSmart. I have an extra one---just in case..
Between Geoffrey's "Pickle" and the Yeow catnip "Trout" and his "mustache"; he has a choice when he feels as if he needs one.

Weird cat, just came into living area, cried, and took me to our brushing spot. It was a bit early for me to brush him. I need to do a few more things on line. I really petted him, all over his body. He love it...
Now, he is over to his "Mustache"... hugging, biting and licking it! looking a bit 'stoned'.
Oh, he gave up on his 'statche" and is onto his 'trout'... just for a quick roll, and now to his PICKLE!

They are all kept on a scatter rug, in front of my electric fireplace. All in one location. Now, sniffing his carrier!! back to his rug...

I wonder how long it will take to see any changes in him from the decreased steroid dose? I need to give him a dose soon. I think I would like to get the dose in him at night. Thinking I will feed him in a little bit, and extend the time very slowly towards evening. Once I pill him, he hides in my bedroom, under bed.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think Chewy has the "pickle". I think I picked it up at PetSmart. I have an extra one---just in case..
Between Geoffrey's "Pickle" and the Yeow catnip "Trout" and his "mustache"; he has a choice when he feels as if he needs one.

Weird cat, just came into living area, cried, and took me to our brushing spot. It was a bit early for me to brush him. I need to do a few more things on line. I really petted him, all over his body. He love it...
Now, he is over to his "Mustache"... hugging, biting and licking it! looking a bit 'stoned'.
Oh, he gave up on his 'statche" and is onto his 'trout'... just for a quick roll, and now to his PICKLE!

They are all kept on a scatter rug, in front of my electric fireplace. All in one location. Now, sniffing his carrier!! back to his rug...

I wonder how long it will take to see any changes in him from the decreased steroid dose? I need to give him a dose soon. I think I would like to get the dose in him at night. Thinking I will feed him in a little bit, and extend the time very slowly towards evening. Once I pill him, he hides in my bedroom, under bed.
Its recommended to give pred in the evenings because it follows more closely their natural energy cycle. Maybe skip a morning dose and move him to an evening schedule.

I have also read that it takes longer than 24 hours for pred to clear. It could take a few days to see the difference in dose. It shouldn’t take much more than that though. I think you’re already seeing the difference with him revisiting his toys. 😻👍

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I may or may not have ordered 3 pickles for 3 cats. I was going to get one, but two extras jumped in my cart.
I know dogs and cats are apples and oranges but when my dog was decreased on the steroids, it was only a few days before I noticed a change. He was no longer panting, pacing, and acting agitated and angry. I had talked to the vet about his behavior, and told them he was acting like all he wanted to do was lift weights and listen to Nickelback. We dropped his dose to almost half and the change was very noticeable, he seemed a lot more content and comfortable.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Day 3 of decreased Prednisolone dose. Geoffrey is still running from me--pilling related--fear of pilling... dam.. with I could try putting the pred in his food.. but he is so sensitive to all changes..
I did get the order in for the RAWZ rabbit.. I am kind of afraid of changing things up.. since he is in such a good space...
I was able to 'score' on the prescription food.. But he is loving it... do not know how long my 'stash' can hold out for.. Yes, I am a hoarder... especially on his food...

He is cuddling and purring with me in bed.. sweet boy--still.
Stretching out the morning Pred dose to mid afternoon. Tomorrow I will give it late afternoon, so it is more accustomed to normal circadian trends. This way, if he gets mopey from the Pred, it is nighttime and he can hopefully sleep it off, being more active during the day.

Still not into playing. I did try a wand toy--Da Bee.. He almost played with it.. Will try again, Monday or Sunday afternoon.

He is still losing fur..dam... Got a lot of fur off him today--with brushing..

Still hiding under bed...

Positive signs (have to hold on to these):
* He is not ravenously hungry. I am able to give him 1/2 can of food for breakfast, then wait and plate up 1/3 cup of dry for nibbling, when I go out. Then I give another 1/3 or less of food for supper, with about another 1/3 cup for nighttime nibbles.
He was eating over a cup of dry and 1/2 can of food--with gusto--before the decreased dose..
Trying to be more normal.. He does need to lose weight, as well as me... so trying to be gradually decreasing the food.
*One thing is really positive--- Geoffrey is NOT demanding food... I find that really interesting.. When he was vomiting, he demanded food.. I guess he was never satisfied because of the vomiting, or the acid tummy or stuff..

Yes, the prednisolone has done a ton of good with him. Geoffrey has not vomited since July 1..... That is a miracle!!

*Another positive:
Geoffrey seems so much more alert, and interactive since decreasing the steroid dose.. I can read it in his face.. crazy, but I can. He is slowly returning to my 'kitty'.... For some strange reason, I am feeling so much better about him, and life...
It is weird how such a little thing, can affect my psyche so much.

Due to recent allergy testing; It has, again, been confirmed that I am moderately allergic to cats... I knew that..
I am NOT giving up Geoffrey.. I told my pulmonologist that!!!! emphatically... was told, during asthma symptoms to limit my contact---- bull feathers!!

Geoffrey may be my last kitty... NO WAY... I am in--fully -- for the duration ..I love him.. I seem to psychically have a natural bond with cats... no way...
I tested to be 'slightly' allergic to dogs...never had one... do not know how to care for one.. Kitties are my 'thing"..

Ok--.this is Geoffrey's blog... and you do not need to know anything about me.... but,, Thank you for indulging me...and my incoherent ramblings....

I guess all these thoughts go into someone who has a very sick, terminal illness, emotional support animal; which they truly love...

❤❤❤

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Day 3 of decreased Prednisolone dose. Geoffrey is still running from me--pilling related--fear of pilling... dam.. with I could try putting the pred in his food.. but he is so sensitive to all changes..
I did get the order in for the RAWZ rabbit.. I am kind of afraid of changing things up.. since he is in such a good space...
I was able to 'score' on the prescription food.. But he is loving it... do not know how long my 'stash' can hold out for.. Yes, I am a hoarder... especially on his food...

He is cuddling and purring with me in bed.. sweet boy--still.
Stretching out the morning Pred dose to mid afternoon. Tomorrow I will give it late afternoon, so it is more accustomed to normal circadian trends. This way, if he gets mopey from the Pred, it is nighttime and he can hopefully sleep it off, being more active during the day.

Still not into playing. I did try a wand toy--Da Bee.. He almost played with it.. Will try again, Monday or Sunday afternoon.

He is still losing fur..dam... Got a lot of fur off him today--with brushing..

Still hiding under bed...

Positive signs (have to hold on to these):
* He is not ravenously hungry. I am able to give him 1/2 can of food for breakfast, then wait and plate up 1/3 cup of dry for nibbling, when I go out. Then I give another 1/3 or less of food for supper, with about another 1/3 cup for nighttime nibbles.
He was eating over a cup of dry and 1/2 can of food--with gusto--before the decreased dose..
Trying to be more normal.. He does need to lose weight, as well as me... so trying to be gradually decreasing the food.
*One thing is really positive--- Geoffrey is NOT demanding food... I find that really interesting.. When he was vomiting, he demanded food.. I guess he was never satisfied because of the vomiting, or the acid tummy or stuff..

Yes, the prednisolone has done a ton of good with him. Geoffrey has not vomited since July 1..... That is a miracle!!

*Another positive:
Geoffrey seems so much more alert, and interactive since decreasing the steroid dose.. I can read it in his face.. crazy, but I can. He is slowly returning to my 'kitty'.... For some strange reason, I am feeling so much better about him, and life...
It is weird how such a little thing, can affect my psyche so much.

Due to recent allergy testing; It has, again, been confirmed that I am moderately allergic to cats... I knew that..
I am NOT giving up Geoffrey.. I told my pulmonologist that!!!! emphatically... was told, during asthma symptoms to limit my contact---- bull feathers!!

Geoffrey may be my last kitty... NO WAY... I am in--fully -- for the duration ..I love him.. I seem to psychically have a natural bond with cats... no way...
I tested to be 'slightly' allergic to dogs...never had one... do not know how to care for one.. Kitties are my 'thing"..

Ok--.this is Geoffrey's blog... and you do not need to know anything about me.... but,, Thank you for indulging me...and my incoherent ramblings....

I guess all these thoughts go into someone who has a very sick, terminal illness, emotional support animal; which they truly love...

❤❤❤
I am so glad he seems so much more himself after decreasing the dose. I saw the same thing, and I'm so glad it happens relatively quickly. And you absolutely CAN tell it in their face. Their eyes, expression etc. says it all.
As far as including you....part of having a pet in this situation is our own emotions and thoughts. I've always felt that way but with my situation right now, I believe it 110%. And knowing the way I feel is absolutely normal is so much more comfort than I can even say.
IMO I think anyone else who has a pet with cancer and reads this thread, they'll realize that feeling really confused and alone and feeling up one day and completely down in the dumps the next isn't weird, it's normal. This thread and you sharing how it has affected Geoffy AND you is going to bring a lot of comfort to a lot of people.