Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

Fredthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I just came across this thread and I see Geoffrey has been a sick kitty. I’m so sorry, but it’s great you were able to get a vet to diagnose him! That’s a blessing. I am dealing with a similar situation. Would you be so kind as to tell me besides the vomiting that Geoffrey had, did he have other symptoms?
my cats vomiting and diarrhea is now controlled but he’s just not right. The bloodwork and ultrasound didn’t show much either. They noted his most inner layer of intestine was a big thickened. I’m concerned they are missing a possible small cell lymphoma. My cat was - sleeping more, not laying in our arms at night, licking his front paws excessively, meowing a lot, his meow sounds very different, on occasion he would open his mouth for no reason. (It wasn’t that reaction they have when they smell an odor, it was different.) he seems depressed, he lays in weird places, he wants us to hold up his head when he sleeps. He has had a lot of coughing over the years but the vet would not confirm asthma. Does any of this reflect symptoms Geoffrey had?

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
can they be an additive? is it a medicine? "digestive enzymes"?

Digestive enzymes are just supplements like probiotics. They are not medicine and do not treat any health condition. They are not needed in the diet but can be helpful for digestive health.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can they be an additive? is it a medicine? "digestive enzymes"?
There are prescription strength digestive enzymes used to treat pancreatic insufficiency. This is rare though and you would know by now if your cat needed these. He would have greasy liquid poops all the time.

There are supplement strength plant-based digestive enzymes that usually also include a prebiotic like inulin to feed helpful gut bacteria strains. The plant-based enzymes are milder than the prescription enzymes which are from animal sources. Optagest is a popular brand for these plant-based enzymes. For some cats, they make a big difference. I put this supplement in the “might help, probably won’t hurt” category. In my cats, I find they have less frequent hairballs with Optagest. But hairballs are often already an early warning sign. So the enzymes help. But there’s still something underlying that needs to be addressed. In both Krista and Betty, that has been IBD. 😿

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are prescription strength digestive enzymes used to treat pancreatic insufficiency. This is rare though and you would know by now if your cat needed these. He would have greasy liquid poops all the time.

There are supplement strength plant-based digestive enzymes that usually also include a prebiotic like inulin to feed helpful gut bacteria strains. The plant-based enzymes are milder than the prescription enzymes which are from animal sources. Optagest is a popular brand for these plant-based enzymes. For some cats, they make a big difference. I put this supplement in the “might help, probably won’t hurt” category. In my cats, I find they have less frequent hairballs with Optagest. But hairballs are often already an early warning sign. So the enzymes help. But there’s still something underlying that needs to be addressed. In both Krista and Betty, that has been IBD. 😿
placide gets Visbiome pet when the diarrhea starts. her onco suggested it after meds would not control it! it works.!! i have been made aware that cats r often misdiagnosed with IBD when it is really FGESF. one vet contacted me for med records for her study. she is trying to educate. "

• Jun 13, 2022 · Due to its microscopic structure, FGESF can be misdiagnosed as lymphoblastic B-cell lymphoma, osteosarcoma or sclerosing mast cell carcinoma, so the pathologist must be extremely careful to distinguish this disease from a neoplasm [1]. The prognosis is variable and depends on factors such as diagnosis delay, involvement of adjacent organs and ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello - I just came across this thread and I see Geoffrey has been a sick kitty. I’m so sorry, but it’s great you were able to get a vet to diagnose him! That’s a blessing. I am dealing with a similar situation. Would you be so kind as to tell me besides the vomiting that Geoffrey had, did he have other symptoms?
my cats vomiting and diarrhea is now controlled but he’s just not right. The bloodwork and ultrasound didn’t show much either. They noted his most inner layer of intestine was a big thickened. I’m concerned they are missing a possible small cell lymphoma. My cat was - sleeping more, not laying in our arms at night, licking his front paws excessively, meowing a lot, his meow sounds very different, on occasion he would open his mouth for no reason. (It wasn’t that reaction they have when they smell an odor, it was different.) he seems depressed, he lays in weird places, he wants us to hold up his head when he sleeps. He had a lot of coughing over the years, the couldn’t confirm
Asthma, Does any of this reflect symptoms Geoffrey had?

Hi, I am sorry your kitty is having issues. It is very hard to deal with.
Geoffrey's only symptom was: Vomiting. Yes, vomiting. All the other lab tests, ultrasounds were normal. We tried everything, thinking he was over grooming. He was not, what is called; "a vomiter".
He had up to 8 vomits in a month; and they became progressively more violent this year.

Geoffrey never lost weight, had a good appetite. Since my last cat had IBD, I immediately switched his food over to a novel protein prescription food. My last guy was allergic to chicken; Geoffrey is also. I tried the hydrolyzed treats for him, he pretty immediately vomits after eating a treat--made from hydrolyzed chicken.

Geoffrey is super sensitive--He hides, constantly.. more so when he is not feeling well. Under my bed, in corners.

If your cat has thickening on an ultrasound, that is indicative of disease. You may want to discuss and endoscopy/biopsy, with your Vet. Or go for a second opinion and take all your cats records.

As for the asthma.. or suspected asthma.. I would definitely check that out with a new Vet.. second opinions do not hurt.
Good Luck..
~~~~~~~~~~~~
LTS3 LTS3 My arm seems to be healing. Slowly.. but healing. I am was washing it out with peroxide, putting a triple antibiotic ointment on it, and bandaging it.. it is not a large bite.. more like a puncture with a tear in the skin--from pulling away.
Not reddened.. fingers crossed.. still being careful.

Geoffrey seems to be doing ok. Since I have been spending most of my time in the living areal he comes out during the evening and night to stay with me. The AC in here is better for both of us. He still stays in my bedroom, most of the day.

He has had 4 straight weeks of chemo--every other day. Besides the bad 4th of July week-end, he is tolerating it nicely.
G has regained (and more) of the weight he lost, during that episode. His gums are still pale--some days worse than others.. Cannot correlate that to a chemo day or not; and sometimes feels cool.

The only thing I really regret: Geoffrey runs away from me. If I walk near him, he runs under the bed. If I get out of my chair, and he is in the living area, he runs away. If he is eating, and I walk by, he runs.. If he is out, and I go into the kitchen--where his meds are kept, he runs.. He is very wary of cuddling with me. If he is on my bed, an I go into the bedroom, he runs under the bed.

I wish he would stop this running from me. It kind of makes me feel bad, that he is associating me with medicines--only pills and laxatone. I have to keep saying to myself--- 'He has to get used to this. I am doing this for his own good"

I have to trim his nails.. I hate like heck to attempt this.. He will be even more afraid of me..

But, he is really doing good. A blood test is scheduled in 2 weeks. We will know more then.

I did get partial reimbursement for his bronchitis! Not all, but a good chunk of it. I can only guess at the how the premiums will be increasing next year... seems like the more you submit, the higher the premiums get.

Fredthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the quick reply. My cat is 13 and was diagnosed with IBD due to food allergies when he was about 2. Back then they had to go exploratory surgery to diagnose IBD and he had to have a feeding tube. He has gone thru a lot in his life. He has many food allergies so I had finally found a food solution that had worked. No flare ups since 2011! I appreciate the advice, he has actually been to 4 different vets in the last 3 weeks, and the vet that concluded this was an IBD flare up was an Internal Medicine Doctor. He said the inner layer of the intestine was slightly thickened but since he had diarrhea he felt it was not unusual. I have rescheduled an additional appointment to discuss the scope with biopsies.My cat has not vomited since we started steroids. I’m slowly reducing the amount of steroid per the vets recommendation.
Question-
Does your cat continue to vomit?
Also does he have diarrhea now or did he at any point when he was vomiting?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Fredthecat Fredthecat Wow, your kitty is going through so much.
I do not know, in this case, if I would ask for another endoscopy; certainly not a biopsy. You have a diagnosis of IBD. Severe IBD and SCL are treated the same way with cholrambucil and prednisolone. I would not subject a 13 year old to another procedure. At least, not me.

Why is the IM Vet decreasing the dosage of steroid? That sounds counter-intuitive to me. And why not other IBD meds?Has chemo been discussed? It is not scientifically proven, but IBD can morph into lymphoma.. whether small cell or large cell.

You know to feed a novel protein diet. Sometimes iBD cats can become suddenly become sensitive to the novel protein, in which you will have to find a new one.

You may want to start your own thread, so others, more versed in this, can offer you suggestions.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am sorry your kitty is having issues. It is very hard to deal with.
Geoffrey's only symptom was: Vomiting. Yes, vomiting. All the other lab tests, ultrasounds were normal. We tried everything, thinking he was over grooming. He was not, what is called; "a vomiter".
He had up to 8 vomits in a month; and they became progressively more violent this year.

Geoffrey never lost weight, had a good appetite. Since my last cat had IBD, I immediately switched his food over to a novel protein prescription food. My last guy was allergic to chicken; Geoffrey is also. I tried the hydrolyzed treats for him, he pretty immediately vomits after eating a treat--made from hydrolyzed chicken.

Geoffrey is super sensitive--He hides, constantly.. more so when he is not feeling well. Under my bed, in corners.

If your cat has thickening on an ultrasound, that is indicative of disease. You may want to discuss and endoscopy/biopsy, with your Vet. Or go for a second opinion and take all your cats records.

As for the asthma.. or suspected asthma.. I would definitely check that out with a new Vet.. second opinions do not hurt.
Good Luck..
~~~~~~~~~~~~
LTS3 LTS3 My arm seems to be healing. Slowly.. but healing. I am was washing it out with peroxide, putting a triple antibiotic ointment on it, and bandaging it.. it is not a large bite.. more like a puncture with a tear in the skin--from pulling away.
Not reddened.. fingers crossed.. still being careful.

Geoffrey seems to be doing ok. Since I have been spending most of my time in the living areal he comes out during the evening and night to stay with me. The AC in here is better for both of us. He still stays in my bedroom, most of the day.

He has had 4 straight weeks of chemo--every other day. Besides the bad 4th of July week-end, he is tolerating it nicely.
G has regained (and more) of the weight he lost, during that episode. His gums are still pale--some days worse than others.. Cannot correlate that to a chemo day or not; and sometimes feels cool.

The only thing I really regret: Geoffrey runs away from me. If I walk near him, he runs under the bed. If I get out of my chair, and he is in the living area, he runs away. If he is eating, and I walk by, he runs.. If he is out, and I go into the kitchen--where his meds are kept, he runs.. He is very wary of cuddling with me. If he is on my bed, an I go into the bedroom, he runs under the bed.

I wish he would stop this running from me. It kind of makes me feel bad, that he is associating me with medicines--only pills and laxatone. I have to keep saying to myself--- 'He has to get used to this. I am doing this for his own good"

I have to trim his nails.. I hate like heck to attempt this.. He will be even more afraid of me..

But, he is really doing good. A blood test is scheduled in 2 weeks. We will know more then.

I did get partial reimbursement for his bronchitis! Not all, but a good chunk of it. I can only guess at the how the premiums will be increasing next year... seems like the more you submit, the higher the premiums get.
So glad Geoffrey is doing better! My cat Maggie runs from me after taking her to the vet so many times. Coco runs from me when I pick her up. She is so afraid of maggie that my couch is her only safe spot so she doesn't like being taken away.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Geoffrey is really afraid of me. The weather has been horribly hot! I know animals feel it, even if they are inside, in cooler temps.
Yesterday was really an 'off' day for him.. Did not eat as much as normal. Edging towards a bit of constipation. Rotating miralax and laxatone does not seem to help.
I give him miralax on chemo days, and laxatone on non-chemo days. I am doing this because I do not want to continually grab him for meds. He is running away and hiding from me, the minute I even look at him. It is a bit heartbreaking.
Not even cuddling with me. Not at all.. not even talking to me. Not even calling me. His voice is weaker, when he does try to complain about being medicated.

His appetite was a bit less, yesterday.. but he is eating the wet food, really well. It is so hard to know if he wants the wet or to stay with the dry. I would prefer him to eat the wet, and keep the dry for just overnight. That is how we started. He suddenly stopped eating all wet food. I do not know why. Only thing I can equate this to: When we are sick with GI issues, many of us want soda crackers to soothe our tummies. I took it to be something like that.

I finally have the AC shut off, and the windows open. Today will be a warm day---80's, with low humidity. I really need to air this place out, and to have Geoffrey see the daylight and smell some air. He needs some semblance of normalcy, before the humidity and heat return in a couple of days.

Maybe later, I will try out a wand toy on him.. so he does not think of me as a torturer.. which I kind of feel like. He looks so sad, when he sees me, and runs away. He wants to cuddle.. tries to, but is kind of uncomfortable, so he only stays a few minutes then leaves. I cannot put my finger on his actions. This is in the AC, so he should not jumping down because he is hot.
Geoffrey kind of hurts my heart when he instinctively walks towards me, then remember I am the torturer, and then he runs away, to hide. I feel so bad. He was my cuddler--- my little loving boy.. my conversationalist....

I guess I am just feeling down about the entire situation: Geoffrey, the heat, the issues with my apartment, my weight gain due to stress, the weather, financial situation, and all.. Geoffrey is supposed to be my ESA.. but he is not -- not, at this point.

I keep thinking all these little signs are from the lymphoma worsening.. and from the chemo and prednisolone. But these thoughts are not working.

I have been hibernating in my apartment due to the extreme hot weather.. normally Geoffrey would be all over me, and I would be cuddling with him... not any more.. he is just hiding in my bedroom, afraid of coming out of there..
His catnip pickle is not even attracting him..
I cannot tell if his moods are related to the chemo days or not. I cannot tell how the chemo is affecting him. I cannot evaluate his lethargy.. Is it from the chemo? The Pred? The weather? The lost trust in me? Being afraid of me? I do not know~~ or a combination of all.. I think it may be all; but it is really hard to deal with. This sudden change in demeanor.
He is not my Geoffrey anymore.. not at all.. just seems like something I have to constantly medicate.. poor thing.. I cannot imagine how his little mind is comprehending all of this.. and how he is feeling..

I know he is a cat.. many do not understand the bond between us.. They would not understand, not at all.. They Ould not understand how important he is to me. And Artie before him..

Thanks for listening.. kind of like a blog for me..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Geoffrey is really afraid of me.
Geoffrey kind of hurts my heart when he instinctively walks towards me, then remember I am the torturer, and then he runs away, to hide. I feel so bad. He was my cuddler--- my little loving boy.. my conversationalist....
I'm so sorry, this must be torture for you too. :hugs: And I do understand, although not nearly as serious as Geoffrey's condition or what you're going through, I have to medicate Carleton in the evening with one small pill. Cats are so smart, he knows exactly what's coming and when. I don't know if this would work for you due to Geoffie's sensitive stomach but can you give him any type of treat that he might enjoy? The reason I asked is because I had tried treats to help when Carleton needed other meds but he refused them. Then last week when he went to the vet and the tech said she'd give him a treat while he was being poked and prodded. I told her it was useless but sure go ahead and try. To my surprise he not only ate the treat she offered but several more. I wrote down the brand/flavor and later that day went to the pet store to buy them. Now every time I have to give Carleton his nightly pill I also give him this treat.

Unfortunately G can't understand you're only trying to help do what's best for him. We all wish we could explain that to our cats or other pets. It makes it stressful for both of you and I'm sure he picks up on your mood if you're anything like me and get anxious whenever you have to medicate him. Tonight is the Mega Million lottery - I know it's a long shot but go out and buy yourself a ticket, then dream about what you would do if you won, not necessarily the entire jackpot but even a portion of it. It won't change Geoffrey's illness but it might give you sweet dreams tonight. All my best to you and I hope Geoffie perks up a little since turning off the a/c. Hugs to both of you. :grouphug:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can Geoffrey have a small amount of Hills A/D or some other kitty crack recovery food or nutritional gel he can’t resist? Betty takes two capsules twice a day. Any pill medications I repack into one of those capsules. And the other is from AnimalBiome (either the FMT pill in the morning or the s boulardii in the evening.) Usually (this morning not withstanding) she’s a pro at taking her meds. I smear the capsule in the AD food and place the coated capsule on the carpet in front of her. This reduces (but as we saw this morning does not eliminate) the chance that she’ll lick the food and flick the pill. To be fair, out of a 30 capsule bottle, she probably missed only 3 this time. Two of them were this morning. Because the FMT pill has dried poop inside, I will try another pill if she’s manipulated one too many times. The thought being that she may have opened it or got a tooth into it to release its full flavor and aroma. 🙊🤦🏼‍♂️

But the occasional miss aside, she’s excellent at taking her pills herself. Then I will plate her meal and sit with her for that medicine meal. I don’t think we would have lasted this long if I had to wrestle her twice a day.

Is there anything like butter, cream cheese, baby food, a lick treat, Hills A/D or the RC Recovery food or anything that he can readily eat that won’t turn him inside out that you could use to get him to pill himself?

Otherwise, I would strongly encourage compounding as much of his medicine into transdermal, flavored oils, or treats. Since meds are an ongoing and critical part of his treatment, he deserves (you both deserve) whatever you can do to make it an easier experience for the both of you.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
neely neely Thanks, but I am at a loss as far as treats go. I am feeding him RC rabbit food. I tried the RC hydrolyzed treats. They are chicken based, but hydrolyzed chicken. I swear G is allergic to chicken. So, I thought this would be good for him. Nope.. each time I gave him one of the treats (before diagnosis), he vomitied. I do not want to test him with the treats. I do have another bag of them. I had given the opened bag to someone.

daftcat75 daftcat75 I have tried, in the past to see if G likes cream cheese, butter, mayo, peanut butter.. Nope, he sniffs and walks away. He did like tiny pieces of potato chips.. but that craving stopped. He is not all that caring for human tuna fish. I eat it occasionally, buying low sodium or no added salt. I drain the juice into a bowl and add a few pieces of tuna. He eats that, and will not eat another plate of it. Once is enough.

The A/D, I/D contain chicken. I have to keep him away from chicken. I am leaving the trials of baby food, sardines, lick treat, for when he is really sick. It may tempt him at that time. If it gets to be part of his regular routine, he will get tired of it.

I tried some freeze dried treats, a while ago. They were too dry for him. I am afraid to change anything now.
He has not had a vomit, fur ball, since July 1; when we started his steroids. I am taking that to be a huge positive sign.

Thanks for the thought of MegaMillions. I do not know.. I just played bocce. I need a shower. It is getting late.. so I do not know if I will make it in time to the store... too much traffic later in the day.
If it is no winner today, tomorrow I may get one. I have to pick up a prescription, so I can stop at a convenience store for it.

It is so nice to have the windows open in here. Geoffrey is taking advantage of it. He just came out to nibble a bit,, now he is on my desk, looking out the open window, watching a bird... Much better for him.
He stayed there for about 10 minutes, now back to my bedroom.. time for his laxatone.. dam

I may go out, after showering, and read a bit. I also have laundry to do. I hate doing laundry here, but it must get done. I need to take advantage of the cooler weather, to do stuff...

Thanks again.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I always forget about the Gerber suggested by ] FeebysOwner FeebysOwner [/USER]. Would that help?
I know he's inside but just incase,micro chip.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Rawz rabbit pate food with him? Krista loved the stuff and it was the best food for her. Even fussy Betty will nibble at it if I offer it.

How about looking up his meds on Wedgewood and seeing if any of their compounding formulations might work for him? Krista took her pred as a transdermal gel and her chemo as an ultra-concentrated anchovy flavored oil. Her dose plus a little extra salmon oil she enjoyed came out to less than a dime size puddle. A few licks and she was happily medicated.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried Rawz rabbit pate food with him? Krista loved the stuff and it was the best food for her. Even fussy Betty will nibble at it if I offer it.

How about looking up his meds on Wedgewood and seeing if any of their compounding formulations might work for him? Krista took her pred as a transdermal gel and her chemo as an ultra-concentrated anchovy flavored oil. Her dose plus a little extra salmon oil she enjoyed came out to less than a dime size puddle. A few licks and she was happily medicated.
I've given up on pilling a few of my cats and have the medications compounded. Surprisingly the cost isn't as much as I had anticipated. None of my cats "love" it but they don't fight me and tolerate it a lot better than a pill.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Great idea! Right now, he is just taking the prednisolone (twice a day). The chemo is in a pill form. I tried the chemo treats.. no go.. It was fish flavored. The texture reminded me of silly putty, or bubble gum. I would not even take that.
I like the idea of the chemo capsule. It is easier to give, for me.. and he does not spit it out.. no waste involved.

I could get the prednisolone compounded into a liquid. The problem is; Geoffrey can immediately tell if something, even as simple as miralax mixed with water, is added to his wet food. He will refuse it, becoming a food aversion. He is fussy that way. Not fussy as to the temperature of the food. He eats it right from the refrigerator.

I had the prednisolone compounded for Artie, into a liquid fish flavor. But that pharmacy closed.. It was easy to change flavors. Geoffrey did have transdermal Prozac at one time. It was a mess.

I want to see how he is doing with this current regime of meds. He is almost done with this script of prednisolone.
His next blood test is in a couple weeks.

I have been thinking of getting some RAWZ.. but I would have to order an entire case. It is expensive. Since I am on a limited income, and have had major AC work done on my car, and are dealing with a $300 copayment for one of my medications, thing are financially tuff. Maybe next month, after I get paid.

I will look at Wedgewood. That is where I get his chemo.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great idea! Right now, he is just taking the prednisolone (twice a day). The chemo is in a pill form. I tried the chemo treats.. no go.. It was fish flavored. The texture reminded me of silly putty, or bubble gum. I would not even take that.
I like the idea of the chemo capsule. It is easier to give, for me.. and he does not spit it out.. no waste involved.

I could get the prednisolone compounded into a liquid. The problem is; Geoffrey can immediately tell if something, even as simple as miralax mixed with water, is added to his wet food. He will refuse it, becoming a food aversion. He is fussy that way. Not fussy as to the temperature of the food. He eats it right from the refrigerator.

I had the prednisolone compounded for Artie, into a liquid fish flavor. But that pharmacy closed.. It was easy to change flavors. Geoffrey did have transdermal Prozac at one time. It was a mess.

I want to see how he is doing with this current regime of meds. He is almost done with this script of prednisolone.
His next blood test is in a couple weeks.

I have been thinking of getting some RAWZ.. but I would have to order an entire case. It is expensive. Since I am on a limited income, and have had major AC work done on my car, and are dealing with a $300 copayment for one of my medications, thing are financially tuff. Maybe next month, after I get paid.

I will look at Wedgewood. That is where I get his chemo.
I would look into the flavored oils. I don’t know if they do this. But I would ask if they have non-medicated flavor samplers you could run past him first. Otherwise, they’re good about working with you if you choose a dud flavor. I recommend the oil and I recommend having it concentrated so you give a smaller dose. And finally, if he’s not going to lick the oil off a plate (my preference because you will know that he has gotten his dose when that plate is clean), then you also want to find some carrier of your own to mix it with (treat, salmon oil, baby food, etc.) My recommendation is to make as tiny a medicine puddle as you can manage and still have him eat it voluntarily. Serve that first and make certain he gets his dose and you get a clean plate back. Then you can give him unadulterated food to enjoy without suspicion.