Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have kind of crated a flow chart for medications. I have a calendar for his vomits, diarrhea, etc....
I have a notebook of daily stuff, which is bulleted--email sent to the IMVet--almost daily.

There is documentation. Sometimes too much.

Dr B will be in Wednesday. G is currently playing with his Yeow Catnip large trout fish... and grooming..
I tried a wand toy.. He just looked at it.. Still very cautious with me.
After dealing with a lot of vets over a lot of years, I've learned there is no such thing as "too much documentation."
Keep your documents and notes. If you have to compile them into a smaller portion for updating, that's fine. You've always got more details if anyone needs more information. *Always* let them know if they need more information to just contact you!!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have not dealt with SCL in cats. I have dealt with a lot of digestive complaints, ranging from mild to serious in dogs and cats.
You said Geoffrey isn't interested in a wand toy. I wonder if all of the problems he's been having, from the biopsy to the nausea to the throwing up....if that is making his stomach and abdominal region feel tense. With my own (and clients) dogs and cats, a stressed, tense, and upset GI system is a GI system that wants to "curl up", not "stretch out", which might be why he doesn't leap up or chase for that wand toy. When we keep a dog or cat that has a GI upset, the first thing we notice is they don't really want to run or jump or play. They do the dog/cat version of "doubling over" like a person would. They remind me of a little kid with a plain old stomach ache. If he's playing with other toys and seems happy over all....I'd say "don't stress" but that's me being a hypocrite, because we ALL stress when our pets aren't well, but look for the improvements when you can :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Geoffrey is associating me with Pilling, and bad things. I do not feel it is related to the scope. That was over a month ago. It could be related to the doxy he took for the bronchitis.. or he is still recovering his strength from it. I know it always takes me a while to feel normal.. And he had so much vomiting over the past week.

Yes, the chemo has to be doing something.. Even with just one dose. and the Prednisolone.
He has been through the mill over the past month.. no wonder he is probably exhausted. Poor little boy..

He is interested, but only for a short time; distracted easily--- going back into my bedroom. I can spend more time with him today; if he wants it. He is avoiding me.
The Pred increased his appetite, along with his thirst. Speaking of which, I need to dose him. Chemo is later in the day..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Geoffrey is associating me with Pilling, and bad things. I do not feel it is related to the scope. That was over a month ago. It could be related to the doxy he took for the bronchitis.. or he is still recovering his strength from it. I know it always takes me a while to feel normal.. And he had so much vomiting over the past week.

Yes, the chemo has to be doing something.. Even with just one dose. and the Prednisolone.
He has been through the mill over the past month.. no wonder he is probably exhausted. Poor little boy..

He is interested, but only for a short time; distracted easily--- going back into my bedroom. I can spend more time with him today; if he wants it. He is avoiding me.
The Pred increased his appetite, along with his thirst. Speaking of which, I need to dose him. Chemo is later in the day..
Sure. He is unfortunately associating what you are doing for him with feeling discomfort, but that is right now, not always. As with us all, rest is rejuvenating and strengthening. Sweet boy!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Even if the pred dose is correct, it seems like they need to sort out how it makes them feel. I have never taken it but I have a friend who has, and she said it makes her feel kind of weird for awhile when she first starts.
I hope you both have had a good day :redheartpump: :)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

artiemom artiemom ...I wonder if you can use any of the 'tips and tricks'...from this Fundamentally Feline video...for your Geoffrey.

I particularly like the first one, where she coats the capsule, in some A/D recovery food.
And also the 'parfait trick'...where the meds are 'sandwiched between two layers of A/D food'...or whatever food that Geoffrey would like...(but not his usual food...so as to avoid 'food aversion'):bluepaw:.

Sending you Strong Health Thoughts and Prayers...for your Geoffrey...that the Treatments help him reach remission ..and that the cancer cells get gone fast. :vibes: :vibes: :caticon:

(When you and I, were on Irmik's thread, together,...I was so Hoping that your Geoffrey had something that was easier to treat,...just didn't know what,...and not SCL,...so it also took me by shock, that you have to go through this again. :hugs: :grouphug: :hugs:

I so wish you didn't...yet I do know how strong your Faith is,...and so I think that even though it is not fair,...that perhaps because of how Strong you are,...that perhaps God did somehow lead Geoffrey into your life...in order for him to be cared for by the best person, who has had the experience already...and who will do the best they can.) :hugs: :caticon: 💞

Remember, like others have said, to take care of yourself, too,...so as to be able to take care of Geoffrey. :hugs:
Always doing things away from the 'cat treatments'...and things that will bring you peace, strength, relaxation, and distraction.

Once your Routine is in place,...I am Hoping that it gets easier...for both of you.
And your Plan, of doing the Treatments,...and then re-evaluating how things are going...with Geoffrey is so excellent.
Taking it one day at a time. ❤ 🌅 ☔🌤

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy Unfortunately, I do know how steroids can affect a person. When I have asthmatic bronchitis, I go on a small tapered dose of Pred. I get the hungry horrors.. A friend goes on it, for his asthma, he is unbearable to live with--and hungry horrors.. .. It is a powerful drug. With many side effects.

cat nap cat nap You are very kind.. thank you for sharing.. For some reason: my faith is not as strong as it was.. I guess going through a cycle of badness is causing it..

Thanks for the video.. But.. Geoffrey does have IBD.. I guess I helped it out by immediately putting him on novel protein rabbit food. He is not eating anything else.. no treats for him.. I swear he has a severe chicken allergy.
I tried the hydrolyzed treats--it contains hydrolyzed chicken.. While G loved them, he got sick, vomiting it up... so no more of them.

What I hate most, is that he is completely refusing the wet version! I want him to eat it, but he is refusing it. He is only interested in dry food. I have thrown away 2 cans of the wet. This morning was just new dry food.
I will wait until the week end and try the wet again.

Today seems to be a better day for him.. at least this morning. He ran out of dry food last night.. eating an entire cup in 24 hours. Sometime during the night, he cuddled in bed with me., No chemo today. Prednisolone twice a day, along with probiotic.
He drank almost an entire water bowl.. It is the Pred and the dry food.
He is very alert.. tried to play a bit this morning.. Still not back to his normal self.. sigh. but his little body has been through a lot, over the past several weeks...

I need to go. and start my day..

((hugs))

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy Unfortunately, I do know how steroids can affect a person. When I have asthmatic bronchitis, I go on a small tapered dose of Pred. I get the hungry horrors.. A friend goes on it, for his asthma, he is unbearable to live with--and hungry horrors.. .. It is a powerful drug. With many side effects.

cat nap cat nap You are very kind.. thank you for sharing.. For some reason: my faith is not as strong as it was.. I guess going through a cycle of badness is causing it..

Thanks for the video.. But.. Geoffrey does have IBD.. I guess I helped it out by immediately putting him on novel protein rabbit food. He is not eating anything else.. no treats for him.. I swear he has a severe chicken allergy.
I tried the hydrolyzed treats--it contains hydrolyzed chicken.. While G loved them, he got sick, vomiting it up... so no more of them.

What I hate most, is that he is completely refusing the wet version! I want him to eat it, but he is refusing it. He is only interested in dry food. I have thrown away 2 cans of the wet. This morning was just new dry food.
I will wait until the week end and try the wet again.

Today seems to be a better day for him.. at least this morning. He ran out of dry food last night.. eating an entire cup in 24 hours. Sometime during the night, he cuddled in bed with me., No chemo today. Prednisolone twice a day, along with probiotic.
He drank almost an entire water bowl.. It is the Pred and the dry food.
He is very alert.. tried to play a bit this morning.. Still not back to his normal self.. sigh. but his little body has been through a lot, over the past several weeks...

I need to go. and start my day..

((hugs))
Hoping Geoffrey will get to like the wet food again! For now, though, if he'll eat dry, as long as he drinks plenty of water, which he is, that's the battle plan, yes? Trying to play is a good, good sign. Alert? Absolutely.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Omg. It has seemed like a year since I last posted.
Not good stuff..

I guess my updates to IMvet are too 'wordy' or too involved. I was given a lecture on Thursday afternoon. I was asked to give daily updates.. now, I am told that I should have been giving 3 times a week updates, and in a bullet style. This is a new side of IMVet which I have not seen before. I guess I am posting extraneous information!! IMVet cannot tell if G is feeling well or not. I cannot either because he literally goes from hiding, crying, to being normal all in a day.. Things he never did before. He had an even behavior.. So I described what I was seeing, being unsure of things.. I guess IMVET wants nothing but the FACTS.... dam.

With Artie, I was told to learn and handle things from his symptoms.. now, I am being accused of micromanaging his care!
Needless to say, I was in tears after the phone call. I am so confused. Geoffrey is not 'just a cat', as I was told. He is also my ESA.

I got Cerenia, to keep on hand, for Geoffrey.. not to use any more Pepcid.. do not know why.. it was not explained to me.
When I walked into the hospital to pick up the Cerenia, I literally ran into IMVet.. He asked how G was. I told him that in the early night hours of Friday, he violently vomited 5 times in an hour... but that I did not contact IMVet about it. He said,
"THAT is something you could have done. " "You can give him the Cerenia for 3-4 days, in. this case".... I just threw both arms up in the air, and looked at heaven.. Wished him a good holiday and moved on.

I am so confused.. Imagine what reaction I would have gotten IF I had remained in the other group--really questioning his treatments!! OMGod!

I am kind of trying to give IMVet a bit of break; because his secretary is on vacation--his right arm-- an all the stresses he is under.. each time I talk to him, whether in person or on the phone, he is rushed, and constantly being paged. I think he is overextended and stressed.. I also feel he is treating me as one of his 'residents' and not as a normal pet owner. I think time to get mad and tell him that.

Ok--so now, it is Sunday evening, July 3; a Chemo day. Geoffrey has been lethargic all day--more so after the Chemo. Restless in the morning, after Chemo.. very lethargic.. flopping in areas of the floor/rug, where he never lies.
He is Asking me to always brush him. To my eyes, I feel he is fur is thinning along each side of his lower spine, near the pelvis region...

Tonight, around, 6:30pm I was petting him. I noticed his ears being cold. His ears are Never cold. The AC was not on--he was in my bedroom all day. I took an interest in his body temperature. To touch, he did not feel warm. I looked at his ears and they look Pale!! I could not believe that. Usually the background is a light cream color, with tiny blood vessels visible.
Tonight, they are pale, with no blood vessels visible.

I could not believe it! I put him on the sofa, behind me, looked at his gums.. PALE!! OMG>> Anemia!!

I took my phone and snapped some pictures of things..

it is the evening of July 3... a holiday week end.. Do I drive him into the ER?
Do I wait.. and see. IMVEt wants me to keep out of the ER.. but.. he is not on, and if his associate is on, it is past shift time.

Tomorrow is the 4th of July.. to get to the hospital, I would have to somehow circumnavigate around all the closed roads-- roads closed for the Boston Pops 4th of July Concert on the Boston Esplanade, including fireworks. They close the main road down early in the morning. The opposite side of the river is close a few hours later. Boston is virtually a locked down city on 7/4...If I try to go around the closed streets, I will be lost, frantic, taking me 2 hours to get to the hospital, with a sick cat in my car... da m

If I try to call his regular vet, the vet on call will tell me to take him to different ER.. one who does not know anything about him, or his care. I do have a copy of his records, which I can print up early tomorrow mooring.. I really cannot deal with that now. I need new black ink in the printer..

I am really really upset..sorry for really laying all this information on everyone.. I feel so helpless. I feel so bad for Geoffrey.
I feel bad for myself---not know what to do, doubting myself.. I am doubting my relationship with the IMVet, my own judgement... I do to want Geoffrey to get worse, I cannot stand to see him suffer---him or any animal.. but mostly him, right now..

I did speak to a friend from TCS.. A loving, dear friend.. She said to see how things are tomorrow. My poor little boy...

Geoffrey just came out from my room, pacing, not trusting me.. not knowing what to do. I have to give him the last dose of Cerenia and Pred.. It is past due, by 2 hours because of all of this.. I feel so bad for him.. I feel so helpless.
His little body--well, big body-- but little boy mind, is depending on me.. and I am so confused.. and cannot help him..
Am I over-reacting? Probably.. but that is me..
I really do not have anyone, except people on TCS who can really understand how I feel: frustrated, guilty, incompetent, feeling like a torturer...and all I want is love.. to love Geoffrey...and to cuddle...to give him a good life..
To sum it up.. I feel helpless and inadequate...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not good stuff..

I guess my updates to IMvet are too 'wordy' or too involved. I was given a lecture on Thursday afternoon. I was asked to give daily updates.. now, I am told that I should have been giving 3 times a week updates, and in a bullet style. This is a new side of IMVet which I have not seen before. I guess I am posting extraneous information!! IMVet cannot tell if G is feeling well or not. I cannot either because he literally goes from hiding, crying, to being normal all in a day.. Things he never did before. He had an even behavior.. So I described what I was seeing, being unsure of things.. I guess IMVET wants nothing but the FACTS.... dam.

With Artie, I was told to learn and handle things from his symptoms.. now, I am being accused of micromanaging his care!
Needless to say, I was in tears after the phone call. I am so confused. Geoffrey is not 'just a cat', as I was told. He is also my ESA.

I got Cerenia, to keep on hand, for Geoffrey.. not to use any more Pepcid.. do not know why.. it was not explained to me.
When I walked into the hospital to pick up the Cerenia, I literally ran into IMVet.. He asked how G was. I told him that in the early night hours of Friday, he violently vomited 5 times in an hour... but that I did not contact IMVet about it. He said,
"THAT is something you could have done. " "You can give him the Cerenia for 3-4 days, in. this case".... I just threw both arms up in the air, and looked at heaven.. Wished him a good holiday and moved on.

I am so confused.. Imagine what reaction I would have gotten IF I had remained in the other group--really questioning his treatments!! OMGod!

I am kind of trying to give IMVet a bit of break; because his secretary is on vacation--his right arm-- an all the stresses he is under.. each time I talk to him, whether in person or on the phone, he is rushed, and constantly being paged. I think he is overextended and stressed.. I also feel he is treating me as one of his 'residents' and not as a normal pet owner. I think time to get mad and tell him that.

Ok--so now, it is Sunday evening, July 3; a Chemo day. Geoffrey has been lethargic all day--more so after the Chemo. Restless in the morning, after Chemo.. very lethargic.. flopping in areas of the floor/rug, where he never lies.
He is Asking me to always brush him. To my eyes, I feel he is fur is thinning along each side of his lower spine, near the pelvis region...

Tonight, around, 6:30pm I was petting him. I noticed his ears being cold. His ears are Never cold. The AC was not on--he was in my bedroom all day. I took an interest in his body temperature. To touch, he did not feel warm. I looked at his ears and they look Pale!! I could not believe that. Usually the background is a light cream color, with tiny blood vessels visible.

I could not believe it! I put him on the sofa, behind me, looked at his gums.. PALE!! OMG>> Anemia!!

Do I wait.. and see. IMVEt wants me to keep out of the ER.. but.. he is not on, and if his associate is on, it is past shift time.

Tomorrow is the 4th of July.. to get to the hospital, I would have to somehow circumnavigate around all the closed roads-- roads closed for the Boston Pops 4th of July Concert on the Boston Esplanade, including fireworks. They close the main road down early in the morning. The opposite side of the river is close a few hours later. Boston is virtually a locked down city on 7/4...If I try to go around the closed streets, I will be lost, frantic, taking me 2 hours to get to the hospital, with a sick cat in my car... da m

If I try to call his regular vet, the vet on call will tell me to take him to different ER.. one who does not know anything about him, or his care. I do have a copy of his records, which I can print up early tomorrow mooring.. I really cannot deal with that now. I need new black ink in the printer..

I am really really upset..sorry for really laying all this information on everyone.. I feel so helpless. I feel so bad for Geoffrey.
I feel bad for myself---not know what to do, doubting myself.. I am doubting my relationship with the IMVet, my own judgement... I do to want Geoffrey to get worse, I cannot stand to see him suffer---him or any animal.. but mostly him, right now..

I did speak to a friend from TCS.. A loving, dear friend.. She said to see how things are tomorrow. My poor little boy...

Geoffrey just came out from my room, pacing, not trusting me.. not knowing what to do. I have to give him the last dose of Cerenia and Pred.. It is past due, by 2 hours because of all of this.. I feel so bad for him.. I feel so helpless.
His little body--well, big body-- but little boy mind, is depending on me.. and I am so confused.. and cannot help him..
I really do not have anyone, except people on TCS who can really understand how I feel: frustrated, guilty, incompetent, feeling like a torturer...and all I want is love.. to love Geoffrey...and to cuddle...to give him a good life..
Is Geoffrey eating, drinking/getting moisture, and eliminating normally?
As to the vet telling you off, he has been a GOOD vet, so he should know that it's 2022 and that cats are FAMILY, and that there is no such thing as too much info between a caregiver and vet. He may have been stressed before the holiday and let it fall on you. NO excuse for that! But they're humans, too.
Hopefully daftcat75 daftcat75 will have some thoughts. He is so good with his beloved cats and you have a good rappport. Hopefully when he comes home he'll read and maybe respond. In the meantime, I would give Geoffrey loving attention he wants, and not borrow trouble. *PRAYERS* for his health and wellbeing, and yours, too.:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :redheartpump: :redcat::redheartpump::hugs::cheerleader::hangin:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I could offer something of substance. But I think ups and downs are fairly typical. As your TCS friend said, see how things are tomorrow. In the meantime, try to do what you can to relax and calm yourself, that will go a long way to help G too. He feels what you feel.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would have been OK being told I didn't need to provide daily updates (BTDT, no big deal, but I'd still keep a daily journal so those patterns can be saw and compiled), but really. "In bullet style"? No offense to the IM vet but IMO there are bigger things to worry about right now. I'd be a little pissed off about that comment, personally.
The paleness could be just not feeling well. There's a reason the phrase "feeling off color" is a thing, and I will say a little prayer that Geoffrey is feeling better tomorrow. Taras girl mentioned if he was eating, drinking, and eliminating. Those are the signs I'd be watching for now.
I know they say "life isn't fair", but sometimes it feels like sometimes it's less fair than other times :(
BTW I don't think anyone is offended you're laying this out for others to read and share and support you, so no need to apologize IMO :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not good stuff..

If you suspect this is an emergency condition and you know tomorrow will be bad to wait this out, fluff what they think and take him down tonight. You’re not going to be able to relax until you know he’s going to be okay. I can’t tell you about anemia and what’s worrisome or not. But it’s worrying you and that should be enough. You should not have to be your own triage nurse deciding whether this is really an emergency or not. If you think he should be seen tonight, take him down tonight.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to wait overnight. Geoffrey did nibble during the night, he did cuddle in bed with me, for a while.. He did drink .. no poop..

I ended up putting a call into Angell. They have a line for non-emergency issues. I spoke with a woman, briefly explaining the situation. Dr Brum has another Internal Med Vet covering for him!! Hooray!! The secretary is calling her, and I will either get a call from Vet or Angell. This Internal Med Vet is a newbie.. She did her training at Angell. So we will see. I said I discovered this late evening, and was unsure if this is an ER visit or if it can wait until tomorrow.

Geoffrey ate a lot of wet food this morning: 1/3 of a 5 oz can. And drank some water over night.
He is still 'plopping', on the rug.

No change with the coloring on his ears or gums. He did want to be brushed, a bit.. poor thing. He is also having some thinning of his hair..

It has been 30 minutes since I called Angell.. I hope I get a response soon.. if not, I will call again. I remember when I took call, we had a 60 minute window to respond.

Kind of nice; one of the tenants in here, who is 90 years old, and really likes me; invited me to a cocktail hour, in her apartment, later this afternoon... so sweet. I had to tell her about Geoffrey, so I will see how it goes.. She said she feels I need to meet more, and different types of people in here... wow...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to wait overnight. Geoffrey did nibble during the night, he did cuddle in bed with me, for a while.. He did drink .. no poop..

I ended up putting a call into Angell. They have a line for non-emergency issues. I spoke with a woman, briefly explaining the situation. Dr Brum has another Internal Med Vet covering for him!! Hooray!! The secretary is calling her, and I will either get a call from Vet or Angell. This Internal Med Vet is a newbie.. She did her training at Angell. So we will see. I said I discovered this late evening, and was unsure if this is an ER visit or if it can wait until tomorrow.

Geoffrey ate a lot of wet food this morning: 1/3 of a 5 oz can. And drank some water over night.
He is still 'plopping', on the rug.

No change with the coloring on his ears or gums. He did want to be brushed, a bit.. poor thing. He is also having some thinning of his hair..

It has been 30 minutes since I called Angell.. I hope I get a response soon.. if not, I will call again. I remember when I took call, we had a 60 minute window to respond.

Kind of nice; one of the tenants in here, who is 90 years old, and really likes me; invited me to a cocktail hour, in her apartment, later this afternoon... so sweet. I had to tell her about Geoffrey, so I will see how it goes.. She said she feels I need to meet more, and different types of people in here... wow...
Hoping and praying that by now (9:16 am PDT) you've had a call back and were able to discuss the matter to your satisfaction, Cindy. Very glad Geoffrey is drinking, and eating well.
Nice about your neighbor, too. That's one upside of apartment life, meeting new people and making friends. Hopefully there are more nice people there, and hopefully they are CAT LOVERS.
Please keep us in the loop about Geoffrey's care team's response!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I spoke with the covering IMVet.. Gave her a brief history. She said as long as Geoffrey is eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, IfShe feels he is stable enough to wait until Tomorrow-- to see Dr B's associate (student) or Wednesday--when Dr B is back.
She said if any of this changes, or he starts vomiting, or he looks worse.. to go to ER.
Right now they are slammed. I asked If I should call before coming in.. She said that may be a good idea, because sometimes they divert to other ERs..

It would, by avoiding all the closed off roads take me as long to get to Main Angell as it would to get to the Satellite Angell..

Geoffrey did poop, and pee, and came out for nibbles..
Definitely going to get up early, dressed, call and email Dr B's secretary tomorrow. J will be right on top of this.. I trust her immensely..

Still watching him like a hawk..

The covering IMVEt was really nice, kind, understanding.. She is sending Dr Brum and J a note about this..

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
So, Geoffrey has been in my bedroom all day. He comes out, occasionally to nibble a few kibble. No water drinking. He pooped and peed. He does not want me around him. He is slowly walking away from me.. poor thing.
He is both breaking my heart with his condition, worry, and me being frightened for him..

I am definitely taking him in tomorrow. Even if I have to go to the ER. He is not going to wait another day. Dam..
poor sweet little sick boy.. I am so afraid for him.. yet, I guess it is steeling me towns the time when I have to let him go.. it may be sooner rather than later.

I submitted a claim for the bronchitis visit, with x-ray. Fingers crossed. If I end up with anything, I will be satisfied.

Keeping fingers crossed he will be ok through the night. Dam holiday weekend.. I am not enjoying one minute of it, at all..