Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What makes Geoffrey more comfortable when the cleaning lady comes over? Maybe let it be whatever he is used to since there is a lot of change in his life now with the meds.

I have never owned a cat who did not avoid me after as much a one pill. It is for their own good and you need to not let them guilt you into believing that you are the villain.
I agree! If he's used to being out and about, I'd leave him out but if he usually hides, I'd let him hide away and keep him contained. If nothing else, maybe you could leave him out and let him decide; if he wants to hang out, great! If he decides to go into another room, you could at least keep the door cracked so noise and confusion is blocked out but he's able to come and go as he wishes.
I had to pill my "boss" girl cat during a bout of diarrhea a few years ago, and just for fun she also had earmites and needed tresaderm twice a day. By the time the rounds of medications were complete I looked like I'd entered a fist fight with Edward Scissorhands. And lost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Geoffrey is sick today... dam..
He was doing so well. I had a suspicion, due to low food intake from yesterday; that a vomit was expected.
Sure enough, before 9am.. he vomited. It was brown (food colored) fluid--no fur or food..
He had refused breakfast. So I knew something was up...

Strange, he did play a bit this morning..

My cleaner came in. I just moved things out of the bathroom; had her put her stuff in my hall closet... and Geoffrey had the run of the house. He checked her out.. Then went to hide---all day--- in my bedroom.
All she used for cleaning products were: Vinegar, Water, some Dawn Blue soap, and some Bartenders Friend scrubbing powder... and Clorox toilet bowl cleaner.. nothing toxic smelling.. safe stuff. She was only here 2 hours; and I cuddled with Geoffrey for half that time, on the bed.. he wanted his mama.

It is hot outside. The blinds are closed to keep the heat out. The AC in main area is cranking. I have a fan on top of the refrigerator to move the cool air into the bedroom. I have a fan running in the bedroom. It is not bad in there. Not bad at all.

Geoffrey is still hiding...
He has eaten not even 1/8 cup of food.
I broke down and gave him 1/2 Pepcid at 6pm.. The dose for him is either 1/4 pill twice a day; or 1/2 pill once a day.
I may give him another dose Sunday morning.

If he is still not eating tomorrow, I am calling Angell to see if Dr B's associate is covering.. but my gut feeling is no... dam...
I hate times like this, when there is no one covering...

I need to cut more Pepcid pills and put them in gel caps.. I am getting drug store for Geoffrey. I have no room, but feeling that I need to get a plastic box with cover, place it on top of the refrigerator.. (only room I have) for his meds... Right now, they are overflowing in the area of the cabinet, which I have for him..

Dam.. Geoffrey is supposed to begin his Prednisolone, and Chlorambucil, on Monday.. If he keeps this up--no way...
Dr B's secretary will not be in until Tuesday. I do not expect Dr B, until at least Tuesday--We have an appointment on Wednesday with him... Dr B does not want to cancel it, until Tuesday.. He wants an update from the week-end.

I am feeling that Geoffrey is long for here.. have to see what January holds..

On such a bad streak.. Geoffrey, car, and this morning---broke a favorite necklace which was a gift to me--- a really good chain, which I have worn for at least 16 years... and almost lost thee 2 religious pendants on it.. dam.. I feel lost without it. When I was stressed, I would grasp one of the pendants. it gave me strength.. I need a trusty jeweler to fix the chain.. Yes, it is that good a one.. dam

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, Geoffrey has 4 catnip toys out: a mustache, a broccoli, a "Yeow" Trout, a Pickle--he loves it. I have more catnip toys in his toy box...
I'm sorry to hear that Geoffrey isn't feeling well today. Hope it's only temporary and hope that you can talk to Dr. B. soon if you need to.
Keeping it cool has got to be comfortable for him and for you, too. My roomies are helping out with the electric bill and so we have the luxury of the AC which makes ALL the difference. I am so grateful to them for this, especially for my Baby Su and Elvis.
Those sound like good toys. We have a CATurday morning ritual--I use catnip spray on their cat furniture with scratching surfaces, and catnip leaves, or catnip and silvervine blend leaves, on some high value toys and in the cat pipe which Elvis loves. He comes in nightly and gets "stoned." Then he usually gets the munchies. He's like a teenage stoner boy. So cute!
Hoping you have or can find a good jeweler. My dad used to fix all my jewelry and then I learned how to do some but with many things, it needs a jeweler. Unfortunately I don't have a good one and the one I went to when I used to visit my dad across town is, well, across town. They didn't do great work, though. Jewelers are hard to trust these days. My mom had one of her bracelets absolutely destroyed by a jeweler, who replaced stones with others that looked hideous. I have a box full of to-be-repaired things. But I discovered a really good place to buy silver chains on eBay-The Vault Silver. Highly recommend them if you need silver chains--they have lots of styles, sizes, and thicknesses, for affordable prices.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry he had a rough day :( I remember using Cerenia many years ago and the vets told me to switch to Pepcid to save me some money, and it worked just as well and was a lot less of an expense.
I have a plastic rubbermaid tote I use for medicines, herbs, etc. that I have on hand for the dogs and cats. It's nice to have and nice to be able to pick through if I need something to see if I have it or not. Medicine bottles all over the counters depresses me. I think getting them in one spot in arms reach is a great idea.
And the chain....I'm sorry :( I have a few pendants and a ring I love so much I rarely wear them anymore. I've kept the pendants in my pocket before. They feel safe there. And they're easy to grasp.

"Right now, Geoffrey has 4 catnip toys out: a mustache, a broccoli, a "Yeow" Trout, a Pickle--he loves it. I have more catnip toys in his toy box... "

Don't ask me why, but the thought of a catnip mustache, a catnip broccoli, a catnip fish, and a catnip pickle just cracks me up. Especially the mustache and the pickle. They sound like the cutest toys! He is so lucky to have you. :redheartpump:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is still hiding, just nibbling--occasionally on food. Only less than a 1/4 cup of day---all day...
If he's nibbling even a little he's probably feeling a little better and testing to see how his stomach handles it. Poor little guy.
I once had a cat go a solid week without eating a bite. The only thing wrong with him was a nasty URI and the mobile vet gave me antibiotics. His URI cleared up but he still wouldn't eat. We were ready to bust out the appetite stimulants when he started eating. I don't know how these tiny little cats can be so darned tough.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I think Geoffrey's stomach is a bit better. I gave him Pepcid AC, Saturday and Sunday. He was not eating much at all. From 3/4 -1 cup of dry food, down to less than 1/4 cup on Saturday, and 1/2 cup on Sunday. He is refusing the wet food.

It is hot and humid outside. I have kept the AC running in the living area. Slept on the pull-out sofa bed, last night. Of Course, Geoffrey prefers, and stays in my bedroom, which is very warm.. I have a fan running.. but.. He want to hide in a. corner.. At least it is not under the bed..

On no.. a thought: He has not been under the bed.. I wonder if he vomited under there!! dam.. Gotta check later.
~~~~~
I was supposed to start the chemo and prednisolone this morning. Since, he was was not eating well this weekend-- after vomiting so strongly on Saturday, I decided to give him another days rest, before starting it..

Geoffrey seems a lot better this morning. He was sleeping under the pull out, but came over to tell me he used his litter box.. his bowl was almost empty--so much better appetite--- under 3/4 cup... normal amount. I am giving his tummy anoehv day to rest. Jen, will return tomorrow, and Dr B keeps in touch with her. He is back on Wednesday (??)
~~~~
This is really affecting me.. I feel as if I am reliving, Artie... all over again.. Kind of like a PTSD... All the weight I have lost is back.. I am as heavy as I was over 1.5 years ago.. dam.. It is my fault.. I keep eating the wrong things. and imbibing in bad stuff.. I am also hibernating. The weather is so hot.. and I really do not feel like socializing..

Shopping is out---too much money, which I do not have, for car, Geoffrey.. It gets worse and worse. I did sit out in the courtyard, this weekend.. in the shade, while reading a book.. but.. not much more. Did not even play music this weekend. I have things in here to do, yet, I do not have any desire to do them.
Yup, a depression.

It is PTSD... I know it.. well.. not as bad as soldiers or victims of trauma.. but I keep reliving things in my mind.. and I find Geoffrey is going down the same path, if not worse, than Artie. Not sleeping well, tired, no desire to do things.. eating and drinking too much.. and the wrong things..

This hit me, yesterday; as I was cutting pills, putting them in gel caps, and making a medication schedule for Geoffrey...
The same as I did for Artie..

Anyway, I have a doctors appointment this morning.....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Geoffrey's stomach is a bit better. I gave him Pepcid AC, Saturday and Sunday. He was not eating much at all. From 3/4 -1 cup of dry food, down to less than 1/4 cup on Saturday, and 1/2 cup on Sunday. He is refusing the wet food.

It is hot and humid outside. I have kept the AC running in the living area. Slept on the pull-out sofa bed, last night. Of Course, Geoffrey prefers, and stays in my bedroom, which is very warm.. I have a fan running.. but.. He want to hide in a. corner.. At least it is not under the bed..

On no.. a thought: He has not been under the bed.. I wonder if he vomited under there!! dam.. Gotta check later.
~~~~~
I was supposed to start the chemo and prednisolone this morning. Since, he was was not eating well this weekend-- after vomiting so strongly on Saturday, I decided to give him another days rest, before starting it..

Geoffrey seems a lot better this morning. He was sleeping under the pull out, but came over to tell me he used his litter box.. his bowl was almost empty--so much better appetite--- under 3/4 cup... normal amount. I am giving his tummy anoehv day to rest. Jen, will return tomorrow, and Dr B keeps in touch with her. He is back on Wednesday (??)
~~~~
This is really affecting me.. I feel as if I am reliving, Artie... all over again.. Kind of like a PTSD... All the weight I have lost is back.. I am as heavy as I was over 1.5 years ago.. dam.. It is my fault.. I keep eating the wrong things. and imbibing in bad stuff.. I am also hibernating. The weather is so hot.. and I really do not feel like socializing..

Shopping is out---too much money, which I do not have, for car, Geoffrey.. It gets worse and worse. I did sit out in the courtyard, this weekend.. in the shade, while reading a book.. but.. not much more. Did not even play music this weekend. I have things in here to do, yet, I do not have any desire to do them.
Yup, a depression.

It is PTSD... I know it.. well.. not as bad as soldiers or victims of trauma.. but I keep reliving things in my mind.. and I find Geoffrey is going down the same path, if not worse, than Artie. Not sleeping well, tired, no desire to do things.. eating and drinking too much.. and the wrong things..

This hit me, yesterday; as I was cutting pills, putting them in gel caps, and making a medication schedule for Geoffrey...
The same as I did for Artie..

Anyway, I have a doctors appointment this morning.....
May your appointment go well, and may Geoffrey be able to start his treatment. May it be of help to him.
Of course we have to take the best care of ourselves, for ourselves and for our loved ones who need us to be strong and well. But you can get back there when you're ready. I have PTSD too, and it's the opposite for me -- I don't want to eat. But I force myself. You'll get back on track. Right now maybe isn't the best time.
And I know about $$$. In the same situation, for life. But material things are hollow pleasures anyway. Your priorities are straight.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Saw my doctor today... Not that it made things better, but I was able to let out a lot, to him .. He wants to see me next week, also.. It was a 3 tissue session. He has never seen me cry.. Very understanding.. Very supportive...
I feel a bit better; however, the financial hits keep coming... too involved to described.. I will spend my money on my babies.. dam.. Artie and now Geoffrey..

But, now on to the Main Subject of this Thread: Geoffrey.
He is much much better.. eating and acting normally.. I decided start the Prednisolone and Chlorambucil today.
He was given his first dose of Chemo, this afternoon.
The steroid was this morning... and then again, just now..

Poor thing.. he is getting so many meds... I need check with Dr B to see if I can combine the Pred and the Pepcid together in one capsule.
Geoffrey is acting normal... Fingers crossed....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw my doctor today... Not that it made things better, but I was able to let out a lot, to him .. He wants to see me next week, also.. It was a 3 tissue session. He has never seen me cry.. Very understanding.. Very supportive...
I feel a bit better; however, the financial hits keep coming... too involved to described.. I will spend my money on my babies.. dam.. Artie and now Geoffrey..

He is much much better.. eating and acting normally.. I decided start the Prednisolone and Chlorambucil today.

Poor thing.. he is getting so many meds... I need check with Dr B to see if I can combine the Pred and the Pepcid together in one capsule.
May his treatment benefit Geoffrey greatly and may he continue to eat well and enjoy a good quality of life.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

You have a wonderful doctor, who obviously cares. Sometimes finding a human doctor who gives a damn isn't so easy.
Fingers crossed and prayers for good news on how he is handling the medications!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey was 'off' this morning. He did wake me up at 7:15am; either to tell me that his litter box was full, or to tell me his food dish was empty. Not certain which one. He was upset when I gave him the Pepcid, on an empty stomach.
I left to play bocce. He had not eaten either wet or dry..
Returned after 1pm.. He has eaten almost all of the 1/4 cup of dry, refusing the wet.

We are going to reschedule his IMVet appointment for tomorrow. No need to check, since he just began the chemo. I think it will be rescheduled in another 3-4 weeks, once chemo is begun.

I wish he would play.. He used to love wand toys.. since the bronchitis; now recovered, he does not want to play. He gets very short bursts of zoomies, after pooping.. spending more time, looking out window, and kicking his catnip pickle and mustache.. and of course, lying on top of my bed..

I really wish I could communicate with him...

Gotta go.. busy day.. Got an appointment.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey was 'off' this morning. He did wake me up at 7:15am; either to tell me that his litter box was full, or to tell me his food dish was empty. Not certain which one. He was upset when I gave him the Pepcid, on an empty stomach.
Returned after 1pm.. He has eaten almost all of the 1/4 cup of dry, refusing the wet.

We are going to reschedule his IMVet appointment for tomorrow. No need to check, since he just began the chemo. I think it will be rescheduled in another 3-4 weeks, once chemo is begun.

I wish he would play.. He used to love wand toys.. since the bronchitis; now recovered, he does not want to play. He gets very short bursts of zoomies, after pooping.. spending more time, looking out window, and kicking his catnip pickle and mustache.. and of course, lying on top of my bed..

GOOD news that he ate his kronschiez, and as long as he's kicking his pickle and 'stache, that, too is good news!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise

I wish I could talk to my cats too.

This past week kabby has been crunching his kibble and spitting it back out. I thought he might have had a mouth problem but he doesn't. Turns out the kibble was just stale. I threw it out and replaced with fresh and he practically took my finger off.

All along he was trying to tell me it was stale.

I don't know if you already do this but I keep a journal of kabby's eating issues. I find it helps when he has a new episode to go back and see if something similar happened in the past.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I could talk to my cats too.

This past week kabby has been crunching his kibble and spitting it back out. I thought he might have had a mouth problem but he doesn't. Turns out the kibble was just stale. I threw it out and replaced with fresh and he practically took my finger off.

All along he was trying to tell me it was stale.

I don't know if you already do this but I keep a journal of kabby's eating issues. I find it helps when he has a new episode to go back and see if something similar happened in the past.
I cannot agree enough with keeping a journal. Eating issues, elimination issues, overall "how are they doing today", along with what meds or drugs they got that day, etc. It's so much easier to see a pattern this way.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I have kind of crated a flow chart for medications. I have a calendar for his vomits, diarrhea, etc....
I have a notebook of daily stuff, which is bulleted--email sent to the IMVet--almost daily.

There is documentation. Sometimes too much.

Dr B will be in Wednesday. G is currently playing with his Yeow Catnip large trout fish... and grooming..
I tried a wand toy.. He just looked at it.. Still very cautious with me.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have kind of crated a flow chart for medications. I have a calendar for his vomits, diarrhea, etc....
I have a notebook of daily stuff, which is bulleted--email sent to the IMVet--almost daily.

There is documentation. Sometimes too much.

Dr B will be in Wednesday. G is currently playing with his Yeow Catnip large trout fish... and grooming..
I tried a wand toy.. He just looked at it.. Still very cautious with me.
So Geoffrey's in a fishing mood today! We have one of those trouts, too--very nice toy. All of the Yeoww! toys are wonderful. If it's hot there, he may just not be in a very active mood. Elvis is like that, too. Sweet angel Suha was more playful at 17 years than Elvis is at 14, right now, because even with the AC used sensibly (thermostat at 80F) it's pretty warm.
So, tomorrow for Dr. B.