Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
After having waiting over 2 weeks, I finally got the full results of Geoffrey's biopsy: Small Cell Lymphoma... dam..
Very very early. In fact, Dr B said that if we did the endoscopy 6 months earlier, it probably would not have shown up on biopsy.
I guess the biopsy came back: first layer--IBD, second layer--inflammation, third layer----lymphoma.

I will order the chemo from Wedgewood---it is extremely expensive. And I will pick up the Prednisolone tomorrow at Angell.

Dam.. I am in shock.. not fully comprehending it.. yet, I am not surprised. I knew there was something more to his vomiting. I was thinking IBD---never thought it would be SCL---- neither did Dr B...
Dr B was telling me that I was so right on insisting on the endoscopy. He would have let this go.. It is way too early to see any effects on testing. Geoffrey is acting so healthy.. The only sign is the vomiting...

I have to bring Geoffrey in for a follow-up in 5-6 weeks...

Meanwhile, He woke me up at 2am, with tons of vomiting.. Everywhere. He ate another Always pad plastic covering.. Thank God he got it out. But it was tuff on him. Dr B said starting the meds, may improve his PICA a bit.. who knows.. gut feeling is no...

Now I know why God gave me Geoffrey.. I will be broke from him and Artie.. never mind me.. dam.. two cats in a row... and Geoffrey is much younger than Artie was when I adopted him... and much younger than Artie when he got the endoscopy results.. dam..

Gotta go... laptop battery is very low.. more to follow.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about Geoffrey. I know nothing about feline lymphoma but I totally feel you about the pad wrapper. My Meffy chews this too and I had to put something heavy on the lid of the small trashbin because she knows how to open it. What is it about pad covering that they like so much?

Sending lots of ❤ to you both!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder is orange cats are prone to severe diseases.

Pumpkin was a diabetic
Artie — IBD, megacolon, heart arrhythmia
Geoffrey— IBD, SCL.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder is orange cats are prone to severe diseases.

Pumpkin was a diabetic
Artie — IBD, megacolon, heart arrhythmia
Geoffrey— IBD, SCL.
Oh, Cindy, my first thought was, "Of course not!" and then it dawned on me that our beloved angel Rojita, "little red girl," developed MAST cell lymphoma. IDK how old she was, exactly, but she was young, too. We had her operated on but she did not stay with us long after that.
May the chemo knock the enemy OUT and may sweet Geoffrey be well!
Do you have any way to keep stuff he shouldn't have away? For instance, I keep my rubbish bin under the sink behind cupboard doors. None of my cats has ever bothered any trash, but I know some will. I also bought one of those step bins when I had to keep it out in the room, 2 locations ago. It was a nice metal (steel?) bin so it was completely off limits to cats (not that anyone wanted to get into it).
SNORGLES on Geoffrey from me. Sweet boy. NO cat should ever have any problems or discomfort!:livid:
Awwwwwwwwwwwww! that FACE!!! :loveeyes:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this, artiemom artiemom . It's good you persevered on getting all the tests done, so the diagnosis is at a very early stage. You and Geoffrey will be in my thoughts as you go through the treatments for him. Love and hugs to you both from Ruby and me. :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry that it’s SCL. But hopefully catching it this soon will help you knock it out quickly. I know the vet probably wants to start him on twice a week chemo. But there is also a once every two weeks protocol that some cats do better with. Something to keep in mind. I only ever saw Krista sleep more on dosing days as far as side effects. Otherwise she seemed to have more side effects from the pred.

You may want to sign up to the Feline Lymphoma newsgroup. A lot of helpful people post there. There’s also some helpful resources on their page. Many of them take the messages in a daily digest so the reply turnaround may be a little slower than TCS.

Felinelymphomasupport groups.io Group

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what all the differences are but there is also another group specific to SCL for cats - [email protected] | Home . I would definitely check them out, from what I have followed on their site they seem to be pretty responsive and helpful.

I am sad to hear the diagnosis, but glad to hear it has been caught early.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that this has happened to both of you. As for orange cats, my Jamie was dxed at 2 with HCM and kidney disease, so maybe there is something to your theory...sadly.

Chelsea, clearly not an orange boy, had SCL. She tolerated the medications well once we started them. Sending good thoughts to you and Geoffrey.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that this has happened to both of you. As for orange cats, my Jamie was dxed at 2 with HCM and kidney disease, so maybe there is something to your theory...sadly.

Chelsea, clearly not an orange boy, had SCL. She tolerated the medications well once we started them. Sending good thoughts to you and Geoffrey.
So sorry to hear about your Jamie. And your Chelsea. :hugs:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The good news is you caught it so early. I know how it feels when every cat you owned has had some kind of condition. All of mine have had one thing or another.

Hector was a runt with a whole slew of health problems throughout her life, she lost half her tail in a door, she had pica and ate everything, she had chronic vomiting and needed baths in the sink on a regular basis, she was never more than 8 lbs so it was tricky to vet her, her head was bigger than her body. She always looked like a kitten.

Kabby had kidney stones, and now Indy has issues including idiopathic vestibular disease, asthma, and a runny eye.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The good news is you caught it so early. I know how it feels when every cat you owned has had some kind of condition. All of mine have had one thing or another.

Hector was a runt with a whole slew of health problems throughout her life, she lost half her tail in a door, she had pica and ate everything, she had chronic vomiting and needed baths in the sink on a regular basis, she was never more than 8 lbs so it was tricky to vet her, her head was bigger than her body. She always looked like a kitten.

Kabby had kidney stones, and now Indy has issues including idiopathic vestibular disease, asthma, and a runny eye.
No one is perfect, it's true. I'm sorry to hear about your cats having these conditions. No cat should ever have any problems IMHO! as they are so sweet and unconditionally loyal and loving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking about things...
The Chlormobucil is on its way.. I will pick up the Prednisolone tomorrow.

I need to make a medicine chart as well as a weight chart for Dr B,,,,

Thinking deep:
I kind of feel that I will give the meds 6 months to see how Geoffrey responds.. and then re-evaluate. A lot is dependent on any insurance re-imbursement.

I did not pick up my asthma inhaler because my co=payment was $300... yet, I am paying that much for Geoffrey's meds... go figure....

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking about things...
The Chlormobucil is on its way.. I will pick up the Prednisolone tomorrow.

I need to make a medicine chart as well as a weight chart for Dr B,,,,

Thinking deep:
I kind of feel that I will give the meds 6 months to see how Geoffrey responds.. and then re-evaluate. A lot is dependent on any insurance re-imbursement.

I did not pick up my asthma inhaler because my co=payment was $300... yet, I am paying that much for Geoffrey's meds... go figure....
That’s crazy! I think I paid $75 for Krista’s compounded chlorambucil. From Wedgewood. Did you get yours with gold flakes in it? 💸💸🤦🏼‍♂️ Maybe it’s the formulation? I got Krista’s as a super-concentrated anchovy flavored oil suspension. Only had to buy a small amount (10 mL?) and Krista’s dose was 0.1 mL twice a week or 0.2 mL every two weeks when we shifted to that dosing schedule. I knew the only way she would take this med is if she took it herself (since I couldn’t handle it without gloves) and I wanted to give the smallest amount so that I could mix it with about an equal amount of salmon oil for an oil puddle about the size of a dime. She made it disappear in two seconds. 100% compliance. The ease of this—and how quickly I saw improvement— was a bright spot in an otherwise lousy situation.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
SO sorry. Is your vet prescribing Vitamin B12? Seems to help Zorro quite a bit, and also Oscar (owner rockitorknockit). It is a good sign they caught it so early…my original local vet gave me 3 days in her diagnosis, but after zipping him up to a better further away one we are on a miraculous year two and going strong! His latest symptom seems to be hard poop…vet’s getting back to me on that. All by way of saying you are not alone, here on TCS or the site Daftcat recommended. What a sweet color Geoffrey is!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know. I know it’s pricey. But the difference I saw in Betty has been amazing. Maybe you wait until I get the “after” test back in a few weeks. But I highly recommend the AnimalBiome Gut Restore Supplement. You could probably skip the tests unless you’re curious, or you want the before and after data points. Otherwise, you can assume IBD and SCL can both benefit from a healthy microbiome.
Restore Cat and Dog Gut Health - AnimalBiome