Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, the little Stinker! Yesterday, He ate all the RC rabbit with the added Rawz. This morning, I cut back on the amount of Rawz in the RC Rabbit. It still worked! He ate it-- almost all of it.. Just a few crumbles left. Geoffrey is a juice lapper. I add water to his wet food.

Today was a chemo/chlorambucil day. Geoffrey is really tired of pilling. He tried spitting out the 2 morning meds, and tried to get out of my grip, when I gave him the chlorambucil.. poor thing.

I am wondering what his blood tests will show.. that is March 10. and I wonder what Dr B will say about the fur loss. and the bile..... Knowing Dr B, he will suggest a dermatology appointment-- which I already vetoed. Geoffrey has had more than enough of Vets, medications, and testing... I feel the fur loss is due to the steroid.
About the bile.. I think Dr B will probably say to wait for the blood test results.

I wonder if B-12 can be given my mouth.. without resorting to injections. sigh...

Too much time on my hands for worrying... I worry about everything..

I do have to ask Dr B about some type of calming agent. I am going to get new windows in my apartment.. a damed if I do damed if I don't situation.
And they will be replacing the elevator at the end of the corridor.. Poor Geoffrey will be going nuts with all the massive noise.
This will take place in April/May/June... too long.. I will be a basket case also..

It is a tiny apartment. I only have the bedroom and the bathroom to hide him in.. poor thing. He is already skittish at sudden movements and noises.. especially unexpected ones..
When I have had to keep my cats contained with construction or loud noises going on, I have put a box fan in the room with them just for the white noise, on high. It does seem to help them and is less harsh sounding than blaring a TV or radio. As sensitive as G is, if you decide to try this you could start running the fan on low so he's used to the sound, then up to medium, then get him used to high well before the construction starts.
I've used B-12 drops on cats before, for anemia. If he needs B-12, ask Dr. B about them. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I do have a white noise machine. I tried it out, for the TV blaring from the neighbor next door. I did not find it helpful. I think Geoffrey was afraid of the noise.. or maybe it was too loud?? or not the appropriate sound??

The stinker is eating the RC rabbit with the added Rawz... I am going to use up this can, and then slowly cut back on the amount of Rawz. I need an emergency food.. Since he has IBD and is allergic to chicken, and some additives in regular cat food, I cannot use them.

The strange thing is: Geoffrey's Stools are getting harder and harder!! I am now giving him laxatone every other day~~ The days he does not have chemo. Nothing has changed. This was beginning BEFORE he started the RAWZ.
I give him about a 10 cc syringe full of miralax mixed with water, with each med.. sometimes it is 1/2 syringe, if only one pill. In total, he has about 15-20 cc of miralax. I use a disposable olive or pudding cup to mix the miralax. I am now using about
a tablespoon to a one of these cups. I started using a teaspoon.. I wonder if it is the progression of the SCL? or side effect of the budesonide? Or Zofran?

He has been on this medication dose for 35 consistent weeks. Last year, Geoffrey had a month's break when he had a URI.

Geoffrey woke me up after 5am this morning.. Unrelenting Meowing-- right in my left ear..Then, with head directly in my face! He would not stop, until I got up!! Walking over me, tapping me.. nudging me with his head.. Screaming at me..

All of this was because he POOPED!! and peed. OMG... How did he ever get the impression that I wanted to be woken up when he used the litter box?? It is an extra large one. He has plenty of room. But, he has to tell me..
Once I got up, and saw the mess-- litter all over floor.. he stopped. Geoffrey had to come in to tell me he pooped!! He looked at me, nosed the litter box, looked at me, and walked out of the bathroom!!
Then he came back, in order to protect me from the Toilet Flushing Demon!!
Geoffrey proceeded to lead me to the desk, where I keep his wand toy mousie. We played for about 10-15 minutes..
Then I fed him breakfast.

While taking a shower, I inadvertently closed the door a bit too much. I usually leave it open for him to come in, for the litter box. He was crying outside the bathroom door... No, he did not need to use the litter box.. He just wanted the door open... a
Geoffrey usually comes into the bathroom while I am showering.. Just to see.... sometimes, he cries for me..
He is one dependent cat.. OMG... Unless he is trying to save me from the Shower Demon??

Right now, he is under my bedspread.. his morning meds taken.. tummy full.. Later on, I will give him some laxatone.

On my lap:

IMG_1490.jpeg
IMG_1489.jpeg

On my bed...Prince Geoffrey

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You had me at "protect me from the toilet flushing demon." :lol:
I still say, Geoffrey has some of the prettiest eyes ever! He seems to be feeling better. I love how he leads you to where his wand toy is and asks you to play. Does he still play with his catnip pickle toy?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey will occasionally cuddle with his pickle. He still loves it. The other catnip toys are forgotten.

Last night he vomited.. Usually the vomits are back to back, in pairs. This time, I found 3 areas.. and a fur ball!
It has been a while since he had a fur ball.
I gave him a dose of Cerenia and his Zofran, together, in one gel cap. He kept it down.

This morning, was strange. G woke me up, wanting to go under the covers. He rarely does that. We cuddled for a bit. I ended up getting up, and he was still under the covers. Finally he got up, walked over to my desk, where the wand toy mouse is kept. We played for a bit, then I realized the 'fur' from the mouse was coming off!! UGH.. like little tiny soft bristles. I wonder if that is what is affecting his stomach. I saw him chewing and swallowing a bunch yesterday and this morning. I had to take the mouse, and physically pull as much fur off of it as I could. He loves this toy..

Geoffrey ate a bit, not much... He is acting strangely.
We are having a big rain Nor'easter. Winds are incredible---gusts at least 45 mph. The ocean is fierce. Rain is hitting the windows.
Geoffrey is going nuts! Crying, Pacing, even trying to climb the walls!! On the counters, sniffing the walls... on the back of my sofa, crying, trying to climb the walls... What is going on?? He has not been given any meds, as of yet..
I wonder if he is having stomach upset and is trying to find a comfortable spot.. OR is it the wind ??

I gave him laxatone yesterday. He did poop a fair amount yesterday afternoon.

I cannot understand this cat.. sounds and acts as if he is in pain.. and wants to hide, or something.. Wondering if it is from his toy?
Dam....

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah, the shedding toy makes sense. Could you take some duct tape and go over it really good so it pulls off some more of the loose stuff that won't come off with your hand?
Goof gets very upset when the wind throws rain against the windows. He doesn't like it at all, and will hide, and he's not normally afraid of rain or wind. If it's very strong, he gets nervous. Yesterday was like that, and he spent most of the day hunkered down in one of his favorite beds vs. in a window like he usually does. How long is the wind supposed to continue?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Just asked Alexa--- moderate winds the rest of the day. Pouring buckets.

I was thinking about using tape, around the mouse. Geoffrey is really sick--- again.. hiding under bedspread-- not eating..
I gave him his morning Zofran & Budesonide. Today is a chemo day.. But.. I am not giving chemo if he has not eaten.
I am going to wait a tiny bit longer and give him a Cerenia.. in a gel cap.. We will see if he keeps it down. I tried feeding him some RAWZ.. just licked a tiny bit.. sigh....

My cleaner is coming in soon.. for 2 hours. Geoffrey's litter box is in the living room. He does not care for it in there. He was crying...I will wait until after the cleaner is settled in, to give the Cerenia. I do not know what else to do..

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, I gave Geoffrey the Cerenia. He kept it down and slept almost all daylight, under my bedspread. While the cleaner was here, he came out a couple of times to investigate.
I skipped the Chlorambucil... I will give it today.

After the Cerenia and his sleep, he was feeling a lot better. He ate and ate! Because he did not poop. I gave him some laxatone.. also, to push any of the bristle stuff , from the mouse, out of his system. He pooped a good amount.

iPappy iPappy I tried taking some duct tape to the mouse.. it was a disaster. I could not believe how much was coming out. I ended up throwing it away.. better safe than sorry. I replaced it with a older 'bee'.. has some of the bristles.. but not much; I looked at it really good.
Why do they make cat toys with this junk?? There are a sure deal for toys for cats, but the material is horrible.
Geoffrey seems to love his wand toys with this stuff.

He is losing more fur along his spine. He looks like a skunk.. poor boy. He can now reach and lick the topmost area..
Yes, going to ask for something to calm him. That is IF his blood tests are ok.. which I really doubt. I kind of do nt want to have the Vet appointment. I think one part of me wants to be naive.. and not know anything. But he has to see the Vet-- at least for renewal of scripts, and I need a new box of Cerenia. His Chemo and Budesonide are both up for refills this month.. expensive.

Geoffrey ate a fairly good breakfast. So I feel a bit better. Right now, he is on my bed, waiting for me to get up, brush him, start my day.. sweet kitty.

It is so hard to take care of a cat with a severe medical disorder. I feel burnout.. I really do.. I have had enough of sick kitties. I cannot have anymore.. Geoffrey is it.. He is so sweet. So babyish.. He is my baby. It seems my life is revolving around him.. but then, I do not have a life.. I stay home a lot.. things are too expensive. I am trying to cut back on expenses, but it is not working.. Geoffrey, even with insurance, is expensive: meds, food, Vet appointments, stuff.
Just whining and feeling sorry for myself.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, better safe than sorry. G's system is too sensitive to risk ingesting that. I had to take the tennis balls away, because Goof kept flopping onto his side and kicking it so violently he'd get green fuzz under his toenails and would eat it, then throw it up. One time he found a red tennis ball, and must have done this and when I got home, it looked like he had blood all over his feet! :sigh:
Yesterday, I lounged on the couch and read through Artie's thread. Wow, I had no idea what all you went through with him. :( No wonder you're feeling burnt out. Anyone would. :hugs:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, Geofrey had a really good day: Ate really well, both wet and dry, we played, he was alert, we cuddled, talked.. he pooped well. The only thing is: his pee clumps are really small...They used to be very large. Yup,, I have been monitoring them for a week now..
Very small.. and he is not drinking as much water as he has in the past. I gave him his chemo Sunday, instead of Saturday.

This is now another item I am worrying about.. This. morning, there was a tiny pee clump in the box. He tried to pee, again, several hours later, but could not... DAM.. FLUTD??? Renal Disease?? and his stool was small and hard this morning..
DAM.. Gave him some laxatone this afternoon. He usually drinks water after getting I; today, no.. back to hiding, this time in a favorite corner.
Geoffrey has, in the past, gone over 24 hours without peeing.. so... who knows.. I know, sounds abnormal, but I questioned it at the time.. so...

I also strongly feel that he spit out his Budesonide tablet this morning. He is getting terrible at taking meds. I got up, did a few things, then saw a pill on the floor. I was going to re-pill him, but.. what if it was from yesterday, hiding under the rocker/recliner?? So, no steroid this morning.. I did not want to over dose him, in case it was from yesterday.

Geoffrey has been sleeping all day. He ate a tiny amount this morning.. after I mixed in a good amount of RAWZ with it.
He has been sleeping all day. He did try to play a tiny bit, early.... but then sleep..
Actually, we cuddled and I dozed off for about an hour.

Now, I again worried about his upcoming Vet appointment and blood tests... I really expect something abnormal to come out of them.. This is NOT good for me ~~ a person with anxiety disorder and depression.

It is just so hard to deal with.. One day is really good, the next is really bad. The highs and lows are so extreme. I get my hopes up, and the next day, they crash down.

Dealing with a chronically ill pet / cat is really difficult. So emotionally exhausting.. It is like a time bomb waiting to go off.

Geoffrey's appointment is Friday morning. I think I will get the results late Friday afternoon or early evening.

He just woke up! now he is cuddling with me on the stretched out recliner. No purrs, His face looks not happy...
My sweet little boy is lying, kind of meatloafed, against my thighs... his face up towards me.. sweet boy.. sweet kitty..
so much is happening to him.. He just does not understand it... and I understand it way too much...

I keep saying: life just gets worse, not better.. dam.. I cannot even have a normal cat.. I always get the sick ones..
and the sick ones are always so sweet.. Artie was bad, but this one, Geoffrey just seems so much worse..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like he could be dehydrated. Don't know if you are doing anything about that at this time or not. You might ask about sub-Q fluids when you are at the vet. Perhaps, the blood work will shed some light for you on this aspect.

It is a roller coaster with sick cats, and all you can do is ride it. You can be pleased about the good days, but not ecstatic. You can be sad about the bad days, but not devastated. Hang in there, like we are all trying to do.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
🙏 for good news Friday. Maybe the vet will have some insight as to what is causing the small urine clumps. I think steroids can cause occasional UTI's.
It IS emotionally exhausting. They are so worth it but it does take it's toll on us.
Sometimes it helped me with Tag to make sure all his needs for the day were met (fed, fresh water available, all meds done, in G's case, box done etc.) as well as any play or grooming he wants, and just spending the entire evening snuggling with him, if he wants. "I have to do this now then this, and then later that" really can add to the anxiety because it feels impossible to relax. :hugs:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I keep saying: life just gets worse, not better.. dam.. I cannot even have a normal cat.. I always get the sick ones...and the sick ones are always so sweet..
If it helps, I felt the same way about our last dog. He had a serious autoimmune illness and was on chemo plus four other meds but he was an angel in every sense of the word. :angel: I miss him more than life itself but we do what we can because we love them and that's what counts. If Geoffrey didn't have you another person may not advocate for him the way you do. When our dog was first diagnosed some people gave me their unwelcome advice. Like you mentioned the meds, bloodwork and vet appointments were so expensive. I followed the vet's instructions to a T and he gave us many more years of happiness in spite of the expenses. I sincerely hope the same for Geoffrey and you. He truly loves you and visa versa. You always have our support and whatever we can do to lighten your load please feel free to vent or post updates.:hugs:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending you and Geoffrey hugs and prayers for a good check up. :hugs:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Sending you and Geoffrey hugs and prayers for a good check up. :hugs:
Thank You ❤

Geoffrey did not have an appointment today!! :livid::livid: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah: Just as I was ready to jump into the shower; the phone rang; It was Dr B's Vet Tech. Dr B was out SICK today!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: :help: OMG... I do not know if it is Covid or not, but he is not expected to return until Wednesday!! This makes me think it is Covid.. dam... just our luck..

Geoffrey is fussing about his food. He wants the Rawz Rabbit, not the Prescription. I have been mixing the 2 together, but he wants more Rawz..

He also has another issue: not peeing as much as he usually does!! This has been going on for the past couple of weeks.. since the last Vomiting episode. He is not drinking as much as he used to.. dam..
I automatically add water to his canned food..He is getting some water..
But, the worst thing, is there has been a few times that he has gone into his box, dug, and tried to pee, but could not.. double damn..

But he does pee, just not much as normal for him. Geoffrey's stools are also getting harder and smaller. I am thinking it is from the bone content in the RAWZ canned food . .. Or it could be from kidney failure, also.. I just know too much.. Trying to keep calm and strong for G's sake..

He is NOT blocked.. If he was, we would be running into the ER...

I was really wanting this appointment for both the blood tests, and a possible x-ray to see what is happening.. and ask for a calming agent due to the construction beginning on Monday or Tuesday.. dam..

Hopefully we can get in on Wednesday..and nothing goes wrong this weekend. but Dr B is so busy.. so booked up...
His secretary has been on vacation; back Monday.. so first thing Monday morning I call.. and we are predicted to have a NOR'EASTER, lasting from Monday night into Wednesday... dam.. I think we may be getting more rain than snow.. but, you never know with these storms.. dam...

I think Uber has a pet option. That is, only IF I cannot drive..
Just thinking of options..

I really hope he gets through the weekend, ok... fingers crossed. 🤞
I refrained from having a tuna fish sandwich tonight-- because of him. I did not want to feel guilty about giving him some people tuna, if he does have Urinary tract issues.. It is Lent, so not fish. I did buy a premade baked ziti with cheese take out; but it was in a tomato beef sauce.. dam.. I ate it.. I am going to Hell.

I just can't win...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There seems to be a number of us on this site that have aging cats with multiple conditions. As I read them all, and think about Feeby, I am learning that I cannot panic every time there is a change in her. Most of the time, the change 'changes' so I know to wait it out - especially in the food arena. She is all over the place when it comes to food preferences. I can't count on anything about what she will or will not eat from one day to the next.

The only thing concerning is G's going to the litter box but not peeing. Did you ask the vet's office about that when they called to reschedule your appointment? Do you give G sub-Q fluids? That might also help with the harder stools you are seeing him have. Dehydration is a common issue with cats that have CKD.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There seems to be a number of us on this site that have aging cats with multiple conditions. As I read them all, and think about Feeby, I am learning that I cannot panic every time there is a change in her. Most of the time, the change 'changes' so I know to wait it out - especially in the food arena. She is all over the place when it comes to food preferences. I can't count on anything about what she will or will not eat from one day to the next.
I feel this. I also had a cat who I almost felt like was a weakened dam and by the end I was trying to plug up the holes as fast as I could. It's draining (no pun intended)... I was hypervigilant about everything. Monitored how much she ate. Her output. The activities she did/didn't do. It was exhausting. And I won't say don't do it - it's because we love these babies. But it's also important to care for ourselves and try to keep up some parts of normal life. Gotta put on our oxygen mask before we can help others. 💛

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel this. I also had a cat who I almost felt like was a weakened dam and by the end I was trying to plug up the holes as fast as I could. It's draining (no pun intended)... I was hypervigilant about everything. Monitored how much she ate. Her output. The activities she did/didn't do. It was exhausting. And I won't say don't do it - it's because we love these babies. But it's also important to care for ourselves and try to keep up some parts of normal life. Gotta put on our oxygen mask before we can help others. 💛
This sums that feeling up so well, and it is draining. Very much.
artiemom artiemom I'm sorry the appointment had to be rescheduled. If the weather is going to be bad, if it were me I would look into the pet Uber. There were a few vet visits that I was so tense and nervous driving to and from I would have loved having someone else doing that part, especially the day we had a total of 3 hours travel time in fog, wind, clouds and rain. Visibility was terrible. That was a horrible drive.
Even though it's Lent, with everything you're doing for Geoffrey, I do not suspect Hell is in your future. :hugs:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I completely agree! :agree:

artiemom artiemom I hope you enjoyed the baked ziti with tomato beef sauce. Sometimes we're going through a lot and just need to indulge ourselves with something tasty. Please don't feel guilty. 🤗
I am not Catholic, but out of curiosity and respect, I have tried to "give up something" for Lent for years. I always fail. But I've never failed without having tried.