Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s crazy! I think I paid $75 for Krista’s compounded chlorambucil. From Wedgewood. Did you get yours with gold flakes in it? 💸💸🤦🏼‍♂️ Maybe it’s the formulation? I got Krista’s as a super-concentrated anchovy flavored oil suspension. Only had to buy a small amount (10 mL?) and Krista’s dose was 0.1 mL twice a week or 0.2 mL every two weeks when we shifted to that dosing schedule. I knew the only way she would take this med is if she took it herself (since I couldn’t handle it without gloves) and I wanted to give the smallest amount so that I could mix it with about an equal amount of salmon oil for an oil puddle about the size of a dime. She made it disappear in two seconds. 100% compliance. The ease of this—and how quickly I saw improvement— was a bright spot in an otherwise lousy situation.
The medications have doubled in price; as with everything else in life.
The chlorambucil was $130---into a fish flavored chew treat. I will see how that goes. It is to be give every other day. I paid extra for the overnight shipping.
The liquid Prednisone I had compounded for Artie was $60 for a one months supply..That was 5 years ago.
The Prednisone is in a tablet; twice a day I think it is 90 tablets; around $120.... and with a new pill gun.. I have capsules at home. I keep them in supply.

I hope he takes the treats. I wanted to get a capsule, so I could pill him both meds at one time.. but, my gut feeling is that I cannot do so. The chemo has to be given separately. It is going to really be a chore to medicate him. He will automatically hide under my bed. I am going to have to begin a new routine of closing my bedroom door when I get up. Geoffrey goes absolutely nuts when it is closed. When opened, he hides under the bed.. There is no way I can close off the access points.
My bedroom is too tiny to move around in.

I am going to pick up the Pred today. Right now there is a crash going into Boston, backing up traffic. I also have a lot of vacuuming to do in here. One area of vomit stain is not coming out of the rug. I tried a different cleaner. It had good reviews on Chewy.. guess not... Natures Remedy is so expensive and has very strong smells.

I did not vacuum yesterday. I had too much to do and I did not want to upset Geoffrey; since he had such a horrible night.

I have to give him some lactone today. No poops yesterday, small hard pieces today.

Another question is: how is the chlorambucil going to effect his stools? dam...

Geoffrey slept, cuddled with me last night. While I was watching TV, he was sleeping in his carrier---weird cat... as if he correlated the carrier to a trip to the Vets--to feel better... crazy cat.

His regular Vet returned my phone call. She is unbelievable in her praise for me. She is very kind.. calling me the best advocate for my pet, she has ever seen. She is supportive. She also said that if, at any time, I need a blood test, and cannot make it into Boston, her office will be willing to accommodate us. She made sure Geoffrey's chart is updated.
She was really shocked to learn that Geoffrey had no lymphoma findings, whatsoever... only the vomiting.

Looking back at Geoffrey's lab work. The only thing really out of the norm is his platelet count. It is low.

Margot Lane Margot Lane Last year, his B-12 level was normal. It was not drawn this year; but I expect that to be done at his next appointment, which is June 29...

Thank you all..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The medications have doubled in price; as with everything else in life.
The chlorambucil was $130---into a fish flavored chew treat. I will see how that goes. It is to be give every other day. I paid extra for the overnight shipping.
The liquid Prednisone I had compounded for Artie was $60 for a one months supply..That was 5 years ago.
The Prednisone is in a tablet; twice a day I think it is 90 tablets; around $120.... and with a new pill gun.. I have capsules at home. I keep them in supply.

I hope he takes the treats. I wanted to get a capsule, so I could pill him both meds at one time.. but, my gut feeling is that I cannot do so. The chemo has to be given separately. It is going to really be a chore to medicate him. He will automatically hide under my bed. I am going to have to begin a new routine of closing my bedroom door when I get up. Geoffrey goes absolutely nuts when it is closed. When opened, he hides under the bed.. There is no way I can close off the access points.
My bedroom is too tiny to move around in.

I am going to pick up the Pred today. Right now there is a crash going into Boston, backing up traffic. I also have a lot of vacuuming to do in here. One area of vomit stain is not coming out of the rug. I tried a different cleaner. It had good reviews on Chewy.. guess not... Natures Remedy is so expensive and has very strong smells.

I did not vacuum yesterday. I had too much to do and I did not want to upset Geoffrey; since he had such a horrible night.

I have to give him some lactone today. No poops yesterday, small hard pieces today.

Another question is: how is the chlorambucil going to effect his stools? dam...

Geoffrey slept, cuddled with me last night. While I was watching TV, he was sleeping in his carrier---weird cat... as if he correlated the carrier to a trip to the Vets--to feel better... crazy cat.

His regular Vet returned my phone call. She is unbelievable in her praise for me. She is very kind.. calling me the best advocate for my pet, she has ever seen. She is supportive. She also said that if, at any time, I need a blood test, and cannot make it into Boston, her office will be willing to accommodate us. She made sure Geoffrey's chart is updated.
She was really shocked to learn that Geoffrey had no lymphoma findings, whatsoever... only the vomiting.

Looking back at Geoffrey's lab work. The only thing really out of the norm is his platelet count. It is low.

Margot Lane Margot Lane Last year, his B-12 level was normal. It was not drawn this year; but I expect that to be done at his next appointment, which is June 29...

Thank you all..
daftcat75 daftcat75 remarked about the strong fragrance of Nature's Miracle, too, and he found something else he likes. Maybe he can help on that.
You are the champion of your beloved cats, as we all should be! Of course Geoffrey's doctor recognizes that and wants to support you.
Yes, the price of everything is insane. With inflation skyrocketing, it's getting harder and harder to make ends meet. We should shake Putin down for all he's got. He's the main reason for this, after all.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 remarked about the strong fragrance of Nature's Miracle, too, and he found something else he likes. Maybe he can help on that.
You are the champion of your beloved cats, as we all should be! Of course Geoffrey's doctor recognizes that and wants to support you.
Yes, the price of everything is insane. With inflation skyrocketing, it's getting harder and harder to make ends meet. We should shake Putin down for all he's got. He's the main reason for this, after all.
The cleaner I used to use in place of Nature’s Miracle is a Pet Food Express exclusive brand.

These days I simply use dish soap and a splash of vinegar. It isn’t a perfect cleaning solution. But then Betty keeps depositing on the same spots. It seems like a losing proposition trying to keep that carpet clean. The real key to my cleaning is the use of a good upright Bissell wet vac in Deep Clean mode. Leaves a wet spot for most of the day. But it cleans deeper and better than anything else I have used.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was happy with Fizzion, although I understand that you can go from cleaner to cleaner and drive yourself insane. It worked very effectively after my GSD passed on and left some unavoidable stains.

Don't despair about giving the meds. Chelsea was semi feral and had FHS, but we finally got to a point where she took the meds. Try to think of some reinforcement he may like as a reward.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably already know this but, I first tried just directly pilling Zorro with the pred, but o, those pill pockets made the process so much easier!
Pill pockets have chicken ingredients, a no-no for Geoffrey.

I used the transdermal gel pen from Wedgewood. The twist-a-dose system made it a lot more accurate than the ruler on the Mirataz box (hope you squeeze the same width every time.)

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I had used the twist dermal stuff When Geoffrey was taking Prozac, (for anxiety).. it was great.

BTW, I did apply for membership in the suggested group.. I already have doubts about a lot of what has ben prescribed ro Geoffrey, from his Internist..
Is this normal?? I mean, I am new to Lymphoma... I am just going by what this Vet is prescribing...It seems to be very different from the group...
I mean this Internist is from a very well known Animal Hospital: Angell Medical Animal Center (MSPCA) in Boston...and a very respecting internal medicine Vet from there. I am so confused.. I think am having a type of information overload.... and confused. Whom do I trust, go by??? It is getting to be too much for me...I need to rust and too by someone.. clear cut.. lymphoma is new to me..

My mind feels boggled..

Anyway.. I am going to begin the Predisolone, which I picked up at the pharmacy, located in Angell Animal Medical Hospital, today... I will question if it the correct stuff, next week... too much on my mind. I have to submit the stuff to the insurance company, this week end.. deal with Geoffrey tolerating the medication, getting the chlorobucil--hopefully.. trusting my own instinct--which are very low right now... getting the membership with the lymphoma group formalized.. and getting questions together for Dr B... and then, my own stuff..

I really do not want to get this wrong.. Cancer/Lymphoma is nothing to screw around with.. and I am feeling overwhelmed at this point.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I had used the twist dermal stuff When Geoffrey was taking Prozac, (for anxiety).. it was great.

BTW, I did apply for membership in the suggested group.. I already have doubts about a lot of what has ben prescribed ro Geoffrey, from his Internist..
Is this normal?? I mean, I am new to Lymphoma... I am just going by what this Vet is prescribing...It seems to be very different from the group...
I mean this Internist is from a very well known Animal Hospital: Angell Medical Animal Center (MSPCA) in Boston...and a very respecting internal medicine Vet from there. I am so confused.. I think am having a type of information overload.... and confused. Whom do I trust, go by??? It is getting to be too much for me...I need to rust and too by someone.. clear cut.. lymphoma is new to me..

My mind feels boggled..

Anyway.. I am going to begin the Predisolone, which I picked up at the pharmacy, located in Angell Animal Medical Hospital, today... I will question if it the correct stuff, next week... too much on my mind. I have to submit the stuff to the insurance company, this week end.. deal with Geoffrey tolerating the medication, getting the chlorobucil--hopefully.. trusting my own instinct--which are very low right now... getting the membership with the lymphoma group formalized.. and getting questions together for Dr B... and then, my own stuff..

I really do not want to get this wrong.. Cancer/Lymphoma is nothing to screw around with.. and I am feeling overwhelmed at this point.
I think you are ABSOLUTELY doing the right thing, and Daftcat was absolutely right in chiding me about the chicken in pill pockets. I know that feeling of being initially overwhelmed but think you are being strong, methodical and my heart goes out to you. I am glad you are trusting your own instinct, b/c Geoffrey is counting on that: even if he can’t speak (English) he is trying his best to tell you what works, and you are his most intimate conduit, your best messenger for the Vet. It sounds as if you have a good one, but it is always a balancing act between what you feel deep down is right and what they vet says. if your vet is a good one they will have an ear to the rail to what you tell them. Remember to stay strong for yourself b/c Geoffrey will need that. sleep is very healing & every day is precious. sorry to ramble, but I really do CARE. You may have a lot more wonderful time with him that you initially think…..cats are astoundingly tolerant of these medicines.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Cindy, I haven't been around for a few days and was disheartened to read about Geoffrey's diagnosis. :hugs: Wishing you the best of luck when you start the Prednisolone. Carleton has been on it several times for acute pancreatitis and I requested the liquid version because that worked best for him. All cats are different and just as the vet said, you are Geoffrey's best advocate. You know his limits and what he will tolerate. Most importantly, try to get some rest. Remember what you said about him acting healthy except for the vomiting. Take it one step at a time and, although easier said than done, keep in mind you have an excellent team of vets who listen to you and will help Geoffrey.:lovecat3:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prednisilone and chlorambucil are appropriate and recommended for SCL. Every cat is different. But the only side effect I saw in Krista with the chemo (chlorambucil) was that she slept a bit more on dosing days. I saw many more side effects from the pred. Increased appetite and thirst and restlessness, poor coat quality, and others I’m not remembering. I was really looking forward to getting her off the steroids because the chemo seemed to be better tolerated. Trust your team but also have patience with the newsgroup. It runs at a slower, often once a day pace as many members opt for a daily digest single email. Likewise the administrator probably operates at a once a day pace too. I’m sure you’ll be accepted by tomorrow.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
First dose of the Prednisolone this morning. Huge tablets. Good thing I have some empty large gel caps hanging around.
I think, for a refill, I will request a compounded formula, so I can get smaller tablets or liquid. These pills are huge. and he has to take 2 twice a day.. a very large dose. I do not think Angell Pharmacy does compounding. They just have a limited type and size of drugs on hand, for all types of animals. I will get it compounded at Wedgewood.

Also sent off 4 questions to Dr B... secretary returns on Tuesday. Just need some answers cuz I am so confused.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First dose of the Prednisolone this morning. Huge tablets. Good thing I have some empty large gel caps hanging around.
I think, for a refill, I will request a compounded formula, so I can get smaller tablets or liquid. These pills are huge. and he has to take 2 twice a day.. a very large dose. I do not think Angell Pharmacy does compounding. They just have a limited type and size of drugs on hand, for all types of animals. I will get it compounded at Wedgewood.

Also sent off 4 questions to Dr B... secretary returns on Tuesday. Just need some answers cuz I am so confused.
Angell has an excellent reputation. That being said, vets are human beings and fallible. Personally, I'd be quite confident in daftcat's info as he has been through this and is extremely caring and careful. Any time any of our loved ones are having troubles of any kind, there is naturally great concern and it can be very stressful. But do listen to your heart (instinct) and since I know you're a person of Faith, do keep *Prayers* going up for Geoffrey to receive exactly what he needs and to have an excellent care team. :hugs::redheartpump::redcat::redheartpump:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey had his 3 dose of the Prednisolone this morning. He was lethargic, no interest in play--all day.. wanting to cuddle, yet not wanting it.. Very decreased appetite--about 1/2 of normal.

Gave him his evening dose at 6;20pm.. At 8:pm, he started pestering me!! talking to me, etc.. Weird..

I really do not know whites to think. Someone told me that the type of prednisone is completely wrong.. and the dose is outrageously high; and to contact Vet ASAP...

I am so confused..
I trust DR B... yet, someone is telling me he is doing everything wrong... yikes.. do I believe them or him? This lymphoma is something I have not experience with. I am clueless. and so confused..

I do not think Dr Brum will be in, until Wednesday.. His secretary is not in until Tuesday.., Do I reduce the prednsolone dose, on my own??? or keep it??? If I keep it as is, will it harm Geoffrey? If I reduce it; will that harm Geoffrey??

Meanwhile: Geoffrey is still his loving self.. purring, loving to be brushed.. talking to me--at times.. I try to spend time cuddling with him, but he is not into it.. He does call me to be with him.. sweet little sick boy... I really love him...in his own way, he is so different from Artie----yet, Geoffrey is in my heart. He is my 'little boy"...

I keep projecting and thinking about what is to come.... how long does he have? Can I afford it? Will I be able to emotionally, financially, physically, be able to deal with what is ahead? Will Geoffrey be able to deal with it--and not shut down, and live under my bed--afraid to come out?? It is going to be a long road..
and then the worst possible questions: how long???
how long do I give him?? without having him suffer?? The time frame for SCL is 2-3 years, treated...I will be 60-70 years old... can I manage what is to come??
Do I reevaluate in 6 months or 3 months as one of my friends has suggested.. or both? What do I do then... will I be ready for the inevitable???

I pray insurance will reimburse me, some of the cost of the endoscopy.. If they do, then that is a huge thing. It would mean that I can get partial reimbursement for the chemo, meds, etc.... That would be huge---but too much to hope for.. I am not optimistic at this point.

I guess I am just rambling...
I really do love Geoffrey--my little boy...I do not know if I can bear to see him suffer... and I am definitely not accepting of his diagnosis.. I am still numb. I really do love my little boy.. my mama's boy.. never thought I would ever call myself a mama...but Geoffrey made me feel like one..
He cuddles with me in bed.. my room is his room.. When he is not feeling well, he cuddles against my lower legs, while I am watching TV..

Geoffrey and I have so many conversations. We really talk to each other.. sometimes, I just want to say, "Shut Up".. but I love him. We seem to be able to communicate with each other.. Geffie is really a smart cat. he knows the meaning of so many words..
He makes me laugh sometimes. He is so frightened of things.. but he makes me laugh...
Geoffie may not be the type of cat I wanted, but he seems to be the type of cat I need, at this point in my life..

Ok, enough rambling.. still so confused.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are truly worried about the pred. dose...
Call the pharmacist that filled the script for you.
Explain your concerns about the high dose and see what they say. Might give you some peace til you talk to Dr. B.
Maybe hold off on reading the scl group, you are on information overload right now. I know specialized groups are helpful most of the time.

Stick with the vets right now... for your own peace of mind and Geoffrey. This, coming from a cat mom who can get totally obsessed with research, vets and advice from the internet.
🤗

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Geoffrey had his 3 dose of the Prednisolone this morning. He was lethargic, no interest in play--all day.. wanting to cuddle, yet not wanting it.. Very decreased appetite--about 1/2 of normal.

Gave him his evening dose at 6;20pm.. At 8:pm, he started pestering me!! talking to me, etc.. Weird..

I really do not know whites to think. Someone told me that the type of prednisone is completely wrong.. and the dose is outrageously high; and to contact Vet ASAP...

I am so confused..
I trust DR B... yet, someone is telling me he is doing everything wrong... yikes.. do I believe them or him? This lymphoma is something I have not experience with. I am clueless. and so confused..

I do not think Dr Brum will be in, until Wednesday.. His secretary is not in until Tuesday.., Do I reduce the prednsolone dose, on my own??? or keep it??? If I keep it as is, will it harm Geoffrey? If I reduce it; will that harm Geoffrey??

Meanwhile: Geoffrey is still his loving self.. purring, loving to be brushed.. talking to me--at times.. I try to spend time cuddling with him, but he is not into it.. He does call me to be with him.. sweet little sick boy... I really love him...in his own way, he is so different from Artie----yet, Geoffrey is in my heart. He is my 'little boy"...

I keep projecting and thinking about what is to come.... how long does he have? Can I afford it? Will I be able to emotionally, financially, physically, be able to deal with what is ahead? Will Geoffrey be able to deal with it--and not shut down, and live under my bed--afraid to come out?? It is going to be a long road..
and then the worst possible questions: how long???
how long do I give him?? without having him suffer?? The time frame for SCL is 2-3 years, treated...I will be 60-70 years old... can I manage what is to come??
Do I reevaluate in 6 months or 3 months as one of my friends has suggested.. or both? What do I do then... will I be ready for the inevitable???

I pray insurance will reimburse me, some of the cost of the endoscopy.. If they do, then that is a huge thing. It would mean that I can get partial reimbursement for the chemo, meds, etc.... That would be huge---but too much to hope for.. I am not optimistic at this point.

I guess I am just rambling...
I really do love Geoffrey--my little boy...I do not know if I can bear to see him suffer... and I am definitely not accepting of his diagnosis.. I am still numb. I really do love my little boy.. my mama's boy.. never thought I would ever call myself a mama...but Geoffrey made me feel like one..
He cuddles with me in bed.. my room is his room.. When he is not feeling well, he cuddles against my lower legs, while I am watching TV..

Geoffrey and I have so many conversations. We really talk to each other.. sometimes, I just want to say, "Shut Up".. but I love him. We seem to be able to communicate with each other.. Geffie is really a smart cat. he knows the meaning of so many words..
He makes me laugh sometimes. He is so frightened of things.. but he makes me laugh...
Geoffie may not be the type of cat I wanted, but he seems to be the type of cat I need, at this point in my life..

Ok, enough rambling.. still so confused.
We're dealing with lymphoma too, but a completely different kind in a different species (dog). The confusion and worry and anxiety is borderline crippling. I have every single vet record/sheet with the cost, as well as medications and supplements. The other day I had all of his records out and considered adding up what I've spent over the past year, and I decided I didn't want to know.
I am so sorry you're going through this. I work with dogs and cats every single day for the last 25 years. I've seen a lot of cancer. I thought I had a good handle on what I would do if I had a pet with cancer, and until it happened (and was caught early enough that euthanasia wasn't the only solution), I realized I never really had a clue because I hadn't been there. I wish I wasn't, and I wish you weren't either.
I had a cat that did not have cancer on prednisolone. For the first few days he was really acting like he just wanted to sleep it off. He definitely bounced back after a week or so and it seemed to have no effect on him negatively. I'm very happy for you and Geffie's sake that it was caught early. That seems to be a big factor in treatment. Unfortunately, my dogs cancer wasn't caught until it had progressed for about a year, but he's still eating and chasing the cats if they get near his precious Kong toy, etc.
Hang in there. Cancer sucks, but it's not a death sentence!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are truly worried about the pred. dose...
Call the pharmacist that filled the script for you.
Explain your concerns about the high dose and see what they say. Might give you some peace til you talk to Dr. B.
Maybe hold off on reading the scl group, you are on information overload right now. I know specialized groups are helpful most of the time.

Stick with the vets right now... for your own peace of mind and Geoffrey. This, coming from a cat mom who can get totally obsessed with research, vets and advice from the internet.
🤗
Yes, to all of this!
I was reading papers and studies and research stuff and blogs and books and watching videos about the type of cancer my dog has and I seriously thought my brain was going to implode. I had to shut my computer off and walk away. Knowledge is very good but sometimes it overwhelms and it's best to take in little by little. Not to mention, the more I read and the more I studied and the more I started feeling overwhelmed and depressed and hopeless, my dog is still here. Geffie is still here. I tell myself daily (sometimes 25-50 times a day!) to not mourn the loss of my friend who is still here.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, to all of this!
I was reading papers and studies and research stuff and blogs and books and watching videos about the type of cancer my dog has and I seriously thought my brain was going to implode. I had to shut my computer off and walk away. Knowledge is very good but sometimes it overwhelms and it's best to take in little by little. Not to mention, the more I read and the more I studied and the more I started feeling overwhelmed and depressed and hopeless, my dog is still here. Geffie is still here. I tell myself daily (sometimes 25-50 times a day!) to not mourn the loss of my friend who is still here.
Thirded! I was the same as you, overwhelmed w/ the high dose, gobsmacked by the disease itself. Yet Zorro is still here as well! I can’t say for how long, as truthfully we are nearing ‘that time’ the vets seem to suggest a cat lasts w/ SCL, but every day is precious and a miracle and a treat, and although at the moment he won’t POOP, he is otherwise fine for a 17 going on 18 year old. There is only so much info you can absorb at once anyway. Best to breathe, take it a day at a time: all you can do is your best, and just the love you are giving him is hugely important. You are a good cat owner. :hearthrob: