Geoffrey ~ Diarrhea~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having a heck of a time even getting the transdermal prozac on him....

I may be able to do that, but 2 seems a bit much.. but.. who knows..

I will ask on Monday.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the Albacore tuna tastes more like chicken than fish. The Bumblebee not Albacore has a stronger fish taste and may cover the medicine taste better than the Albacore. Of course if you're sharing the tuna with him and even the small cans do seem to hold a good bit of tuna, it may take a little getting used to. I suggest Mayo and mustard to make your tuna sandwich.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason you didn't give both medications at the same time? My kitty is on 4 different meds in the evening, and I have them all lined up, ready to go, and I give them one after the other. Poor thing isn't pleased, but then it's done for another 12 hours.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason you didn't give both medications at the same time? My kitty is on 4 different meds in the evening, and I have them all lined up, ready to go, and I give them one after the other. Poor thing isn't pleased, but then it's done for another 12 hours.
The thinking was: give the prozac first, wait, and then try the Flagyl. Hoping that the prozac would cut some of G's nervousness.. and allow him to take the med on his own..

He gets stressed too much, for too long, too easily..

I used to give Artie a bunch of meds a day.. and during the day. I combined them as much as I could..
Some meds cannot be combined.. some can..

We are just experimenting with Geoffrey to discover a routine that will work for him.

frustrating..

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
The Bumblebee not Albacore has a stronger fish taste and may cover the medicine taste better than the Albacore.
I will go to the store and pick up a can of non-albacore.. dark meat tuna.. and see what they have for canned fish...

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The thinking was: give the prozac first, wait, and then try the Flagyl. Hoping that the prozac would cut some of G's nervousness.. and allow him to take the med on his own.
I've never had a cat on Prozac, but I've been on anxiety/depression meds. For people, it usually takes up to 8 weeks to make a difference. Is that the same with kitties?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Got some chunk light tuna.. tried putting the flagyl in it.. adding a lot of juice.. nope.. no go..
This cat is way too smart. I tasted the fish flavored flagyl.. not bad, but he can taste it...

Geoffrey has found a new spot to sleep in..
He is now sleeping under my quilt, instead of under the bed..

Is that good or bad? I do not know...

Last night, he shocked me, by sneaking in under the covers, when I went to bed, cuddling right up next to my legs.

Geoffrey got up a bit this morning, and again this afternoon, after I cleaned my bathroom.

We played just a bit. I was able to put the transdermal on his ears, since he was curled up, under my quilt..

He is now back in the same position.
Not eating much. I am not feeding him, on top of my bed.

He had 2 piles of diarrhea in the box this morning.
Wish he would take the flagyl.

Tomorrow I will try sardines.. water packed.

Wasting almost the entire bottle of meds.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting in bed with you, getting under the covers and snuggling is Geoffrey being about as loving as cats get. You make him feel safe, you with your medicines and stinky tricky foods, you still make him feel safe. Quit fighting it. Accept that you make him feel safer than he's felt since his person's life fell apart and his world was destroyed. He's willing to take a chance on building another world with you.That is all there is.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap:Yes, sleeping next to you is really good!
He IS trying after all. :winkcat: Yes, on top of the bed is better than under.....he's "coming out" from the deep hiding place. Id say thats a good step forward! He definitely needs to be getting the other med though.
What about trying just some fish flavored cheap friskies? Like just a spoonful to mix the med in. Its worth a shot if trying to get him to take it on his own. Otherwise, you may just have to give him his meds at night, sometime between when he's already eaten, & before bed. This way he has eaten, & wont associate it w/ either. Then if he hides to pout, at least you got the meds done, & he can have the night to get over it. Maybe he wont come & wake wake you up after that too. :dunno: ......just tossing out ideas.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly 9 Lives had a tuna flavor that was made with a dark red tuna that was strong. He might like that, but you won't.

If he does like it here is what I do to not waste food.

I take a plastic ice cube tray and spoon tuna into each opening. The large Bumblebee can fills all but one cube. SG gets a serving when I do this because she's adorable. Cover the tray with aluminum foil and put in the freeze. The cubes form by morning. Take the out, as you would ice cubes (a warm wash rag on the bottom of the tray will release them.) and put them in a freezer container. Put one in a tiny tupperware box in the fridge every night to thaw by morning. I heat each on in a bowl of hot water. (Takes the time to make my coffee.) Then you can put his medicine on it.

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the same trouble trying to pill my Omelette.She was very ill with cancer.I had to block off the bottom of my bed.I used cardboard long boxes and secured them with duck tape,all along the bottom of the bed.This way I was able to get her.I would put her into a pillow case,so just her head was out.That is how I pilled her.Of course I closed the room door so she wouldn't escape.I had to hand feed her as she really did not want to eat.I am so sorry to hear how you are struggling. I hope this might help.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Hoping you were able to get Geoffrey into the carrier without too much difficulty for the vet appointment this morning :goodluck:
We'll be waiting eagerly to hear your report about Geoffrey's appointment. Fingers and paws crossed for both of you. :crossfingers: :greenpaw:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
We are home.. ended up being the window installation is postponed until at least the end of the month. Long story..

Surprisingly, Geoffrey was easier to get in the carrier than I thought he would be.

He sensed what was about to happen. He knew it..

I tried once, to just grabbed him, as he was walking.. nope.. so slippery for my weak hands..

He ended up under the bed, but not all the way--kind of on the edge. He knew...

I was able to pull him out, gently... and hold on tightly to him.

He started crying a ton.. and wiggled a bit, but not all that bad.. I shoved him in the carrier.. he cried and cried and cried..

Once I picked up the carrier he stopped crying.. poor thing.. I think he was terrified..

Not a peep all the way there... He was shell shocked..

Pretty good in the exam room. He stuck his head out..

Vet went over stuff with me.. She suggested the worming, strongly..
Doing the routine blood tests. She also wanted to do a GI panel---expensive, but forgot to tell me to fast him-- I forgot it also..
This will tell if there is an issue with IBD..

She also suggested a B-12 shot-- just in case.. but since the GI Panel requires a fasting specimen; it was a no go. The B-12 shot would squew the BT results.

We have an appointment for Thursday morning for that.. She will call me tomorrow with the other BT results.

Also discussed what could be causing this.. She is as confused as I was.. suggested we try getting more information on him from his last owner. I said I tried and could not obtain any.

She said she discussed G with a couple of colleagues.. It could be a number of things.. especially since it was exhibited in the rescuer and the shelter.. but he was with each one for such a short period of time..

She said it could be from all the food switches.. It could just be from stress.. It could be something in my apartment causing all this stress, like noises, or a high pitched electrical current.. or even mold or mildew which he is allergic to... Or the smells from other apartments.. the noises, he is not familiar with~which frighten him.

Or it could even be me... She hopes it is not me, but, it could be..sigh

She also said it may even be an idea to put him in temporary foster care--elsewhere, to see how he reacts... but not wanting to suggest it..

She did say the PCR also checked for C-Diff.. all negative..

She said that we are close to asking for a Internal med visit.. I said that is very easy for me to get. She knew that..

I asked them to trim his claws, put the dewormer on him, and to give him one flagyl dose..

The tech said he really wanted to be snuggled, in the blanket. Was frightened-got pilled, still frightened, then calmed down when she snuggled him.

While I was home, waiting... I closed off the area under my bed.. I do not know if I should do it or not.. but I did..

The tech asked the Vet.. The Vet said that he can go under the bed.. but I cannot get him for pilling, if he does.. dam if I do, dam if I don't...

He came home, cautiously came out of his carrier, sniffing as he worked his way into my room. He ended up under my dresser.. easier access for me.. I gave him one of his favorite catnip toys: Catnip Chilli Pepper..
and some wet food..under the dresser.. Geoffrey gobbled that up..

I misted the apartment with some of JG's sprays.. Eventually, Geoffrey came out.. pacing.. checking everything out.. very low to ground.. he keeps going over to his carrier, sniffing. I misted in there also..

Seriously.. wondering if it IS me.. or this apartment.. Lord knows, there are so many issues with it.. It would really not surprise me, if G is too sensitive to handle it...

Why me? should I just give him up?? for re-homing?? or fostering? I seriously doubt anyone would adopt him, with all these issues..

Thinking of talking to the president of the humane society; tomorrow.. I know she will say I jumped the gun with medication.. She is the type that will let cat's systems work things out on their own.. But, once he started with liquid diarrhea, something was not right. I knew that.

If we can only get the diarrhea stopped, then I can deal with his psychological stuff.. did I cause the diarrhea by switching foods around? is it this apartment? is it all from the stress he has been through--such a sensitive cat..

I know the shelter people will tell me I jumped into medical too soon. But.. I felt beside myself..

I am really questioning my own judgement, at this point. I really am..

And the problem is: all this is happening during his 'pre-existing' period for insurance.. I am paying all of it..

so expensive..

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
stay strong when you talk to the head of the HS.

That Geoffrey let you get him so easily, and he did, from under the bed means he really likes you and trusts you. Going slightly under the bed is his way of protesting going any where outside the apartment and away from you.

Doubt this? When I had one who seriously did not trust my judgment, and our queen sized bed was pushed up against one wall, he always went to the edge of the bed against the wall. That meant I had to wiggle under the bed and across it's width, grab him and wiggle back to the open side of the bed. That was a cat who didn't want to go. It was also a cat with a large collection of dust bunnies.

Sounds like emotionally you two are doing extremely well. Now, if you could just relax and enjoy it.

Sorry about the windows, but it maybe for the best. Using the new time, you'll be able to fast Geoffrey before his vet stay and get everything done.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry the window installation got rescheduled. Especially since you had a plan in place for Geoffrey, & are now going to have to do it again in a few wks.
Yes, deworming is a great idea, & certainly wont hurt anything. For some reason, I thought that had already been done, but maybe it was just mentioned.
There are a lot of things from your post to think about. Although some could be possibilities, most I doubt. I think a big part of it/ the stress is the very simple fact that he has not been anywhere permanent for a good while now. Because of that, he has probably been on edge/ stressed, feeling like he could be moved to somewhere else again. I don't think a foster home, even temporarily is a good idea at all. I feel like it would just confirm what he feels & has been through yet again. Him sleeping on the bed, under the covers with you was a good sign.
Have you tried to pick him up & just cuddle, & see if he settles into it, like the tech said he did? I was suggesting that before, IF he would let you, just for some loving, so he wouldnt associate everytime you pick him up w/ pilling & meds. Maybe something to work toward.
I didn't think its you. I know after going through so much w/ Artie, its hard not to project some of that onto Geoffrey, but him choosing to sleep next to you tells me its not you. If it were, I think he'd stay hidden more. Just my thoughts. It will be interesting to hear other takes on what you are thinking as possibilities.

Hugs to you!!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thinking was: give the prozac first, wait, and then try the Flagyl. Hoping that the prozac would cut some of G's nervousness.. and allow him to take the med on his own..
I've never had a cat on Prozac, but I've been on anxiety/depression meds. For people, it usually takes up to 8 weeks to make a difference. Is that the same with kitties?
:yeah: What I've heard is that all of the SSRI class of antidepressants take at least two weeks to build up to the minimum effective level in the body. On the other hand, I know for a fact that there are exceptions to this rule - for me Zoloft works immediately, and has done from day one, much to my surprise. But that's atypical, and it's something about how my body reacts - not something you should rely on for someone else, cats included.

Geoffrey has found a new spot to sleep in..
He is now sleeping under my quilt, instead of under the bed..

Is that good or bad? I do not know...
You mean it isn't obvious? Of course it's good! It means a couple of things:
  1. He isn't hiding from you. This is an incredibly easy spot for you to get at him.
  2. It greatly increases the likelihood that his problem is sensory overload, that he's hiding to get away from scary noises/smells/too much light. If that is Geoffrey's primary problem then it should be easily treatable with kitty Prozac.

Getting in bed with you, getting under the covers and snuggling is Geoffrey being about as loving as cats get. You make him feel safe, you with your medicines and stinky tricky foods, you still make him feel safe.
:yeah:

Once I picked up the carrier he stopped crying.. poor thing.. I think he was terrified..
Of course he was terrified! Maybe you were taking him back to the shelter. This is a cat who has had maybe two good experiences with a cat carrier - being taken home. All of his other experiences have involved being separated from someone he loves.

And yet, he still let you catch him and put him in the carrier. Think about that. Deep down, Geoffrey trusts you.

Or it could even be me... She hopes it is not me, but, it could be..sigh
There are a few things your vet is wrong about (we've talked privately about one of those in the past), and this is one of them. It isn't you!!! I'm dead certain about this. If it were you Geoffrey wouldn't be sleeping with you.

She also said it may even be an idea to put him in temporary foster care--elsewhere, to see how he reacts... but not wanting to suggest it..
This is another thing she's wrong about. Putting Geoffrey in temporary foster care would be the equivalent of orphaning him, again. I seriously doubt that he'd survive it.

Why me? should I just give him up?? for re-homing?? or fostering? I seriously doubt anyone would adopt him, with all these issues..
Why you? Because you're the person most qualified to deal with Geoffrey's problems, and because those very problems mean that, once dealt with, Geoffrey will be the ideal support animal for you. Should you give him up? NO! See my comment about temporary foster care.

I know the shelter people will tell me I jumped into medical too soon. But.. I felt beside myself..
Don't let the shelter people destroy your self confidence. They don't know what they're talking about. Listen to the people who know and love you instead.

It was also a cat with a large collection of dust bunnies.
:flail:

Margret

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Margret

:yeah: What I've heard is that all of the SSRI class of antidepressants take at least two weeks to build up to the minimum effective level in the body. On the other hand, I know for a fact that there are exceptions to this rule - for me Zoloft works immediately, and has done from day one, much to my surprise. But that's atypical, and it's something about how my body reacts - not something you should rely on for someone else, cats included.
I had the same reaction with Lexapro.. I found I felt better almost immediately..
My psych told me It can take a few days to feel some difference, usually about 2 weeks.. but it can happen sooner..
Full effect of a drug is usually 6 weeks after initial dosing..

And yet, he still let you catch him and put him in the carrier. Think about that. Deep down, Geoffrey trusts you.
The only way I was able to grab him for the carrier, was PRETENDING I was sitting on the "john"... I called him over, grabbed him, putting him in the carrier..

I took the food to him twice today. He was so scared.. Once when he came home, under my dresser... and the other when he was under my quilt. Yes, I fed him on top of my thin blanket, holding the Quilt up, so he could sit up and eat.. poor thing..

Geoffrey is really scratching at the area where the deworming solution was applied.

I hope he will be ok..

I feel so darn bad for him. He is a really sweet baby, with a lot of issues..

He had another huge diarrhea tonight.. poor thing.. he really needs the flagyl..

I think I am going to have to keep under bed access, closed off, and just forcefully pill him... I is for his own good. I keep telling him that..

angels mommy angels mommy I played 'Relax my Cat' a couple times this week-end; on the way to the Vet and at home. I can also get it on Apple music. I have a free 3 month subscription to it.. Doe snot last as long as the You Tube feed, but, it does relax ME...and hopefully Geoffrey...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think a foster home, even temporarily is a good idea at all. I feel like it would just confirm what he feels & has been through yet again. Him sleeping on the bed, under the covers with you was a good sign.
:yeah: I agree with you 100%.
I don't think moving G to temporary foster care to see how he reacts will help either. If anything, it will only set him back more.

Think about the most recent change, i.e. sleeping under the quilt on your bed and cuddling up against your legs. He is slowly but surely starting to come out of his shell but needs to do things on his terms. He's been through so much and there's a reason, call it fate, that you were meant to be with him. You're his guardian angel, you will protect and take care of him. :hugs: I know it's not easy right now but I have a good feeling about this once the vet(s) can diagnose his medical needs. Hang in there! :hangin:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously.. wondering if it IS me.. or this apartment.. Lord knows, there are so many issues with it.. It would really not surprise me, if G is too sensitive to handle it...

Cindy, I think you remember I had a kitten with the same liquid poop issue. She was pooping in her tray, but sometimes (too often, I'd say) she would just leak some poop along the way back from her tray.
I had liquid poop drops on the floor, on the chairs, on the sofa, etc.
Cleaning and sanitizing everything was my second job everyday!

We tried just everything! New good, gastro-intestinal food, grain-free food, probiotics, clay tablets, gels, antibiotics, and so on. Nothing, the issue wouldn't fix.
So one day the vet asked me to hand the kitten over to them, they would have kept her for a couple of days to see if they can fix the problem.
I told them "How can you think to fix the problem in just two days, since I haven't fixed it in two months?".
Well, they held the kitten for four days, but she was already fine on day 2, and she was still fine on days 3 and 4, so they returned her to me.
And the liquid poop started over!

I told the vets what was happening. At first they accused me not to believe them, and I accused them not to believe me.
Eventually I rehomed the kitten to a new house, things were fine there, but that family returned the kitten after a week because they didn't know they weren't cat people... The kitten is at the vets', in a cage, since December 22nd, and they keep telling me her poop is fine.

Their diagnose is that the problem was me or my home. So it seems that I and/or my home can be a source of stress for the kitten. We could be more stressful than living in a cage for weeks!

So yes, it might also be you or your home. I'm sorry!