Geoffrey ~ Diarrhea~

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is coming out from under the bed to play. That suggests that the bed is making him feel secure enough to venture out. It sounds like progress to me.

Remember, Geoffrey hasn't had as much experience with pilling as Artie had. Given time, Geoffrey will probably get better about being pilled. He spit the pill out, but he didn't slash you. He spit the pill out and went under the bed, but he came back out and let you catch him. We all know that none of us could actually catch a cat without a trap if the cat wasn't willing to be caught.

I'm glad you know what he was fed at the shelter. From your description of the timing, some visitor to the shelter must have terrified him. Do they have security cameras? Perhaps they should consider them.

The good thing is he wasn't like this at first, which means, with patience he can return to the secure guy he once was. He seems to really enjoy playing with you. That's huge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
K Kflowers I do not know what happened at the shelter. All I know is that his stools were awesome.. and he did not have any acne, until he was there a few days.. That is when I noticed it.

It could have been that some dogs were barking loudly, some kids or people were banging on the window, or there was too much noise for him.. and too much light..
Who knows how he was kept before..

The rescuer/adoption/foster guy said that Geoffrey was very sensitive..

As far as spitting the pill out.. well that was this morning. Geoffrey was still in my clutches when he did so.. he did not run away and come out again.. I held tight to him.

As far as slashing.. I have several scratches on me.. I know, it could be a ton worse.

I tried playing with him this afternoon. NOPE>> not trusting me.. but he did come out.. he wanted more wet food, but still does not trust the kitchen.. he ended up with the dry..

I am thinking I may change the location of the food.. but would that mess him up, even more????????

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you that you should feed him where he feels secure enough to eat. There's no point in making things more frightening/disturbing for him than they are. I know you don't want that.

My vet always put a couple of extra pills in the bottle for the cats to make up for the ones that "go down the heat vent."

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would love to get him out from under the bed. I just do not know if "now" is the right time or not.
And; How do I block the bed?
I agree considering all the stress right now it may not be the best time to block off your bed. Hopefully when he acclimates to your home and shows you his trust then it's something to think about or try. But for now any change, no matter how small, can upset the apple cart.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know what happened to G or around the building this afternoon, but when I got home, Geoffrey was so afraid to come out from under my bed!!

No playing.. nothing..
I tried all the wand toys.. nothing.. wonder if it is a Metro side effect: lethargy or his stress.. Not even the spray mists would get him out.

I fed him, in early afternoon, under the bed.. Then had to go out again. I tried to play.. nothing.. He will go only as far as sticking his paw out from under the bed; or just a quick slow, down to ground, 1/4 turn around bed...

For feeding: Again, took food to him. He will eat the dry in the kitchen, but not the wet.

I gave him his food, right at the edge of my bed; right on the line.. yup, started with dry.. then went over to wet, eating a good amount.. about 1/2 of a 6 oz can along with a couple of scoops of dry.

I had to shut the lights down, not quite dark, for him to come out..

I managed to shut the door to the bedroom when he was out.. it was after he was out for a while.. also shut the door to the 2nd room. He was not happy with that.

I did follow him under the dining room table.. not much of a fight for me to pick him up.. very withdrawn...

I got him in my chair, trying to pill him--maniac cat.. He ended up semi on his back.. I thought I had pilled him, but he managed to put the gel cap on the tip of his tongue. DArm....

I quickly shut his mouth, blowing gently on his face.. at this point he was on his back.. OMG... tried to get him upright, so I could give him some water.. again.. it just comes out.. but he swallowed the pill...

I kept my bedroom door closed for 30 minutes.. I tried to play, but he went directly into the other room, a few quick bats, while he was hiding behind my floor length drapes..

He is not happy with being shut out of my bedroom. I opened my door, and he is still in the other room.. hiding.. another hiding spot.. at least I know where he is..

and he pooped...
Diarrhea again!! OMG.. that makes twice today!!! He only had one diarrhea yesterday and 3 the day before.. is it stress? or the 5 treats I gave him the other day? It was bribery for the flagyl..

Now he came out from the drapes, but has a NEW hiding spot.. I do not know where this one is.. But I am not going to chase him down. I am leaving him be; until tomorrow morning.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and he pooped...
Diarrhea again!! OMG.. that makes twice today!!! He only had one diarrhea yesterday and 3 the day before.. is it stress? or the 5 treats I gave him the other day? It was bribery for the flagyl..

It may fluctuate a little until his system gets more of the probiotics in it, & has a chance to settle/ level out to a norm.
The others are right. Its a good sign that hes coming out, even if for just a bit. I agree to let him have his safe space for now. No need to add more stress to his already stressed state.
The safer he starts feeling, the more confident he will hopefully be, to come out more.
Its good that he let you pick him up from under the table. Maybe if you are able to do that again sometime, just talking sweet to him in a calming, loving voice, then let him go, it may help with trust, that everytime you pick him up, doesn't mean pilling. Give him a chance to feel a different energy from you.
I had another thought earlier today as well.
How about doing something we suggest to newbies w/ a scared cat, etc.. just spending time in the room with him reading out loud.
Softly, to get used to you more. You could sit on the floor or on the bed while he's under there, but I think the floor would be better, down on his level. A non threatening possitive association with you. Not wanting anything from him. You could prop some pillows up against a wall.
:)
Oh, who knows what he heard this afternoon. Could have been some passing syrines, etc.. you never know...

You'll get there. We're all going to help make sure you do. ;):) :hugs:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given a cats tendency to swallow once something is in the very back of their throats I'm not sure you need to give him water to get the pill down. The water might make it easier for him to spit the pill out.

Even if he still wants his wet food under the bed, isn't his eating the dry food in the kitchen a victory?

A lot of things could have happened while you were away. Has school started back up? If not, didn't you say there were some enthusiastic children in your building? A rowdy game of tag down your hall, or the one above or below yours might have frightened him.

I've lost track, did you try the Rescue Remedy? If you do Chewy they have it on sale right now for $8.99. There would be shipping, unless you filled in with litter and cat grass, like I do.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.. very sleep deprived right now.. every morning.. I can only get 4 hours sleep.. that seems to be his time frame for company: Every 4 hours..

Yesterday was 3 diarrhea episodes.
Today, one-- just now...but it looks a tad more formed.. more like melting soft serve than water.

He was so unhappy this morning when I grabbed him, while we were playing, for the pill. I was really too exhausted to play much.. then he hid.. and has been hiding..

He is drinking a lot of water. His water dish was almost empty, this morning. That is a ton of water.. He is drinking a lot right now.

I wonder if that is from the flagyl? I know it can be from the dry.

Today, it has been mostly dry food; with a little bit of wet.

Before I left the home, I gave a VM message to the Vet. I came home to one from her. She is going to re-call me later, to discuss treatment plan options: re: compounding..

I am not certain if a liquid suspension will work, with him. From what I have been through with G, He will just spit it out..

Wonder if a treat will do.. but it so so darn expensive..

I almost want to ask about an anti-anxiety med for him. I really believe he needs one.
Feel like giving him a few grains of my Lexapro.

K Kflowers I have been using Jackson Galaxy spray mists. They have really been helping him, up until this point. Expensive, but, I have been seeing results.

I think he is super sensitive with everything.; especially smells. I used a bit too much garlic one day, he was yelling at me..
Then I used a candle.. again, with yelling.. so he is scent sensitive, in addition to light sensitive.. Isn't there a psychological term for this?? I know there is...

Initially, I began with 'Scardey Cat"-- within 10 minutes of misting the rooms, G came out from under the bed. I tried "Nervous Nelly" with the same results.. impressive, to me..

I got coupon discounts for others. I just picked up Trauma.. hopefully this will help..

I am so tired..

Last night one of my friends, kind of hinted around that, G is the last thing I need right now.. with all that is going on in my life..

I really do not know how much longer I can continue this.. yes, feelings of despair..
If only I had some positive signs..
Sleep would be one...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound as though he lived in a very sensory protected environment, but most cats are sensitive to smells. Still, congrats n him in eating his dry food in the kitchen. I take that as he's claiming the kitchen as well as under the bed.

Have you tried just lying down for a long nap? That's when my new ones would come to me. Have to lie there until you either fall asleep or are about to before they come. One I'd given up on ever touching, then one morning I opened my eyes before moving and she was sitting on my chest.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I have been too busy the past couple of days to take a nap...

I think I may lie down in a few.. It will be getting dark soon.. that is the issue.. by the time I get a chance to lie down, it is too close to bedtime..

Just got off the phone with the Vet.. We are trying a compounded solution of the metro...

and she does agree that there are some psychological issues going on with Geoffrey..
So we are going to try a compounded prozac. All his anxiety issues..

She wants me to add it to his food.. I am not certain about that at all. I think just giving it to him will be the best.. since he is still not eating much of the wet..

We are, just in case, going to try a topical dewormer: Proofender.. hopefully, I can get that on him..

The other possibility is to take him in ... I do not know what is more stressful to him, Me doing this, or taking him in.....

So now, I have a cat who has food issues, bowel issues, mental issues..
Before it was a cat who had poop/bowel issues, plus food issues...

My life just gets worse.. Why can't I have a normal cat??
or do I just return him?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There may be a connection between the anxiety and the bowel issues. SG gets her arthritis medicine on a bit of tuna - people tuna it's the only thing she likes other than her dry cat food.* Once the anxiety backs down the insides may get better. At least we can hope.

Oh, and I do sympathize. *SG tasted and threw up every varity of canned food that Purina made and every varity that Mars made. I think there is something they put in all their food that she couldn't tolerate, but still have no idea what it was.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow rescue remedy on sale for 8.99, thats a great deal!!
I also agree that once his anxiety is addressed, the bowel issues should get better. Like some of you have said, you are the same w/ stress, me too! I think most women are like that.
Cindy, I know you are so tired, & that makes all of this harder, but remember the good baby steps you have gotten with him. At least he is eating, & he does come out to play. As far as whats more stressful, you pilling him, or going to the vets, I think going to the vet for sure. Unless you really have to take him for something, the longer he stays put, the more he will hopefully start to understand that he is finally somewhere to stay. Especially after all of his back & forth in places to live. If you can hang in there, & the meds will work, no one will try to help him as much as you are, & he would only be more increacingly harder to adopt out. ..
I know its really tough right now. Try to somehow get some more sleep, so you'll feel better, and Hopefully the prozac will help him, & help turn everything around.
Like I said, I wish I lived there. I'd come over, just to give you a break!
Hang in there love! :hugs:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
angels mommy angels mommy Right now, Geoffrey is not playing.. He is running away from me; completely hiding under my bed.

While I was out, he did eat some dry.. when I came home, he ate some more dry.. Drinking water as if there is no tomorrow.

I fed him the wet food, under the bed. He ate it. He came out, wandered around.. and back under my bed..

Something the Vet said to me: Sensory Overload... I think that is exactly what Geoffrey has.

It is severe anxiety; can be caused by PTSD.. which is probably what he has.. after all that happened to him, in such a short period of time...

or he could even be ADHD or even Autistic!!!

OMG.. figures.. it would happen to a cat of mine.. OMG..

I cannot get the Prozac or Metro until Saturday.. It would be ready too late in the day, Friday; for me to pick it up...
No Metro until I get the liquid.. Vet's orders..

I just got a phone call.. They are coming in to replace both my bedroom's windows on Monday Afternoon... hopefully the Prozac will have kicked in, and I can keep Artie in the bathroom.

If it does not kick in, I may not have a cat on Monday afternoon/night.. he may really need a straight jacket..

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... Vet insisted that I was NOT to pill him.. That would put him over the edge with trust. He would completely withdraw.
^^ I think he is just getting really stressed when you are trying to pill him, I agree with the post here where your vet said this. ^^

Isn't there any way to get him dosed with an antibiotic for his diarrhea without linking it into play time or food time (e.g. his 'freedom' time of out from under the bed or dresser for good things)? The pattern of how you might be trying to give him pills could be stressing him out (and you!) more than needed. When I've had to pill my cat, I've disassociated it from any food times or play time (her "safe" times) and tried to set up a specific time, pattern and place, so that she knows what is coming. That has helped a lot.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
^^ I think he is just getting really stressed when you are trying to pill him, I agree with the post here where your vet said this. ^^

Isn't there any way to get him dosed with an antibiotic for his diarrhea without linking it into play time or food time (e.g. his 'freedom' time of out from under the bed or dresser for good things)? The pattern of how you might be trying to give him pills could be stressing him out (and you!) more than needed. When I've had to pill my cat, I've disassociated it from any food times or play time (her "safe" times) and tried to set up a specific time, pattern and place, so that she knows what is coming. That has helped a lot.
He is always under my bed. Only out for litter box, quick munchies...runs away from me, even when I give him a wide berth..

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, yeah, them coming in to do the windows isn't going to help, but you cant help that. Yes, :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: that the prozac is working by then & helps a lot! Hoping it all kicks in & helps everything!! :crossfingers::crossfingers:
Lots of prayer coming your way! :hugs:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think he might be more comfortable at the vet's Monday afternoon? They could give him the prozac and keep an eye on him to see how it affects him. More, if it doesn't work they can fix it right then.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, yeah, them coming in to do the windows isn't going to help, but you cant help that. Yes, :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: that the prozac is working by then & helps a lot! Hoping it all kicks in & helps everything!! :crossfingers::crossfingers:
Lots of prayer coming your way! :hugs:
Do you think he might be more comfortable at the vet's Monday afternoon? They could give him the prozac and keep an eye on him to see how it affects him. More, if it doesn't work they can fix it right then.
I have a call into the Vet.. I do not know if she will be able to call me today or tomorrow morning.. She has called me 3 times, today.....

I am also supposed to work at the shelter on Sunday, late afternoon.. I just sent an e-mail out for coverage..
I do not feel confident about that; since we have 3-4 shifts already open this week-end...

I want to be calm and get my place in order..

The window company is so good. They said they will remove my drapes and blinds.. usually they do not, but the salesperson said they will do it... I heard him confirm it while I was talking to the secretary!!
She was even surprised..

I just have to tell my Super about it.. They are bypassing my Super!!

I wonder what/if type of damage they will find when they remove the windows???
I am questioning mold.. because of all the water leaks.. and lack of seal...

Vet just called..
DR W is awesome.. She returned my call..

Geoffrey is going in for a full Vet exam, claw clipping, possible blood test.. and they will keep him until the windows are installed!!!!

He is going in at 10:30.. The window people are coming in at 12:00, noon...
She is there until 7pm...
never asked cost...

But it may be better than keeping him closed off in my closet.. poor thing.. It is a
LOSE/Lose situation for him...

Thank You God, and Thank You St Gertrude--- Patron Saint of Cats....

It is dark out.. lights in here are dimmed.. We had a 30 minute play session in my bedroom.. with me on my bed....

I am sorry for all the ramblings.. feelings of desolation..

Last night I attended a wake of a young vibrant woman, who passed, too early.. from Cancer.

Today, I attended her Funeral Mass..

Today is also an anniversary of My DAD's Death... I am very emotional, raw and sleep deprived..

I think I automatically woke up at the time of my dad's passing: 3am... Yes, I was there with him, in the hospital, when he passed--holding his hand...

And then Geoffrey woke me up at 4pm

Thank you...