Gender help!

WLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently introduced a new kitten into my home with an existing indoor/outdoor male cat and need help determining the gender as I’m afraid the two are displaying possible mating traits? If not female, I’m aware males will play in these ways once they like each other or to show dominance... I also could be fearing from reading too much about young females getting pregnant. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks like a boy to me. But, I am not quite sure from this picture. You should wait for others here to confirm the gender just to be safe.
Edit: After taking a second look, I agree with carebearbaby1 carebearbaby1 . This kitty is probably female.

Last edited:

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wanna say girl but it's hard to tell. Can you take a picture when it's standing up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep a girl. How old do you think she is? Is your male neutered?
The cat is 7 months old approx. I’ll post one of it standing up!

WLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanna say girl but it's hard to tell. Can you take a picture when it's standing up?
It is hard, I’m going to get Kit to stand up and let me see!

WLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like a boy to me. But, I am not quite sure from this picture. You should wait for others here to confirm the gender just to be safe.
Edit: After taking a second look, I agree with carebearbaby1 carebearbaby1 . This kitty is probably female.
It is hard, I’m going to get Kit to stand up and let me see!

Attachments

WLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
“Kit” finally grabbed the camera & said no more, so there’s Kit’s face! He/She is sweet & cuddly whatever it may be! No, the male is not neutered, he was a lady cat to us, named “Luna” for a long time until his testicles appeared recently. He will be getting neutered now & hopefully our home learns to use gender appropriate names for him! He’s our little black panther, strong, muscular, and a great hunter of rodents while also very loving. He was abandoned as a baby and found in a sewer drainage with a loud screaming like cry. He still screams like that for food-hungry boy!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely female.

How old is the male?

Well she's more than old enough to get pregnant, so if they've been mating she probably is by now. If you aren't able/willing to raise kittens, she can be spayed now, which will terminate the pregnancy.

If they haven't mated yet and have just been flirting, keep them separate until she's spayed, or until 3 weeks after he's been neutered. The male can remain fertile for a while after neutering (sneaky sperm hiding in the tubes) so keep that in mind.

WLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s female?? Oh my! They haven’t mated. I keep Kit indoors, no more play-time. They were acting strange. I’ve been thinking this poof of hair maybe was for male parts to come but it’s gone away some. Anyway, thank you for the advice! Will keep that all in consideration, if I’m wrong and they slipped away, I can care for kittens and have everyone spayed and neutered. Lesson learned. My son got this kitten 4th of July. I thought for sure it was a boy because it was an orange tabby. My luck! Kit says later guys!

Attachments

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get both fixed asap. The female I would do first cause a male can breed up to 2 weeks after the neuter.