gave up on raw - cooked passes the Owen test

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
tried raw for a few pounds. One day yes, next day no.
So ...
I cook around 18z de-boned CostCo chicken thighs to 150º. That leaves me with ~16z cooked meat. Move them to a plate to cool.
The skin and bones go in a pot of water and I slow cook them. After about 15 mins, I clean the meat off the bones and return to the pot to slow cook another hour.
Food processor the thighs after they cool. Add 23g of raw chicken liver.
Mix into a bowl that already has a pack of Alnutrin with 1/4c water. Freeze as ice cubes.
The broth I save as a pour over, but toss the bones and skin.
Cooked is a big hit with Owen. Kind of like home made Tiki, but for $2/lb instead of $6 and chicken from the US rather than unknown Thai source.
I also feed a bit of Tiki each day.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can make meat stock or bone broth out of the bones. Meat stock is like bone broth but not cooked as long. This can be beneficial though. The longer the bones are cooked, the more glutamates are extracted. Some individuals (cats and people) are sensitive to glutamates (think MSG headaches.) To make meat stock, follow this recipe (SKIP STEP SIX!) but reduce cooking time to 8 to 12 hours in a slow cooker or 1 hour in an Instant Pot (pressure cooker.) To make bone broth, leave the cooking times as is. But you still want to skip step six. No veggies are needed for meat stock/bone broth for kitties. And definitely no onions or garlic. If made right, it should set up like jello in the fridge. To thaw from freezer, I recommend bringing it back to liquid by placing the jar of broth into simmering water. Once liquid again, allow to cool before placing it back in the fridge to set back up like jello. This meat stock/bone broth can be served as it is or as a pour over. It can also be used as part of the liquid in your next batch of food. Not only is this an easy way to get more moisture into his diet, but bone broth/meat stock is high in gut healing collagens if your boy is coming to homemade from a history of IBD or IBD-like symptoms.

How To Make Bone Broth - Food.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks. I make it simple, bones and skin for an hour. Extract the skin. Then another hour or so just bones.
He likes it.