Gave up and let cat on counter - so exasperated!!!

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our kitten is shy and we've successfully kept him off the kitchen counter for a month, but now that he's bolder we gave up and let him on the counter. Nothing would deter him. We tried putting a ton of tape rolls (we didn't have double sided tape) on the counter, we tried putting a giant piece of cardboard with tape on it over the counter, we tried tin foil, we tried putting towels with lemon juice, we tried shaking a can with coins, we tried water squirting, we tried piling things on it where he can get on it (from our computer desk to the counter as our place is small), and he basically figured out if he does a running start around the room he can jump onto the counter OVER all the stuff we pile on and get on the counter that way. Tonight we finally gave up and he's been loving the counter ever since. He's also capable of jumping onto the counter from the floor, although he prefers the easier access point from the desk. I don't know what else I can do. Should I just give up? I really don't want him on the counter due to sanitary reasons and safety with the stove and everything. My fiancee just thinks there's no point in trying since we're moving in less than a month and he thinks we can just train him to not be on the counter at our new place, but I argue that once he's used to having access on it he'll want it at the new place too. Plus non of our deterrents seem to be working anyway. Help!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how difficult it is to 'train' a cat. One thing that is for certain is that cats are not like dogs in that physical punishment, like spraying or 'spanking' does NOT work, it only makes them afraid of you. I finally gave up and give my cats one counter that they CAN be on, a small hand towel lets them know that is the spot to be. To train them to stay off of the others, I said 'NO!!" very loudly, picked them up and put them on the floor, or gently pushed them off. It gets easier if you see them about to jump up and yell "NO!!" then, act like you mean it and ignore their cute little faces. To keep your cat off of all counters you have to try to catch him in the act, say no and put him on the floor. EVERY SINGLE TIME, letting him do it once undoes all you have worked for. If he insists, three strikes and put him in a room and shut the door for a small time out, cats hate being removed from all the action. Moving will definitely be a good point to enforce strictly the 'no counter' rule. Giving him a plate of something yummy or a few treats will keep him down there too. Reward his good behavior, and be loud and obnoxious for the bad, even hiss at him, believe it or not that works, just don't let your family see you doing it! 
  Just like small toddlers and puppies, kitten behavior is very frustrating, but please remember, he will grow up, and the behavior WILL improve, usually around two years old. I hope you are blessed for giving him a home, he will grow up and slow down, just keep repeating, like any parent with a toddler, THIS TOO WILL PASS! All the luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:

peter lawrence

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to have this problem with my cat. If she could hear me approaching the kitchen I could hear her paws hit the floor as she jumped down trying to evade being caught so she knew she was not allowed to do it. In the end I just had to smack her when she did it. Of course I don't mean physically harm her but lightly of course and used angry toned rebukes. The unpleasant experience she feels about it had got her to learn that my home has a rule and keeping off the counter is No.1 as it is strictly a hygiene matter as food is prepared on the counter. Once she's accepted not to do it I don't think it comes to mind to do it again and the problem goes away. Though she will for some behavioural reason will try it on every two or three years so I have to again make my point to her, I am not sure if she forgets my displeasure or she is contesting my authority. But other than the counter she can climb where she wants though mainly it is window sills.

peter lawrence

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Light smacking (not pain inducing or rough) with angry tones of voice for emphasis and just the displeasure of it has worked for my cat. She is not afraid of me, she often will sit with me of her own accord. So the cat understands the connection between discipline and her crime she has to be caught in the act. My cat understood being on the counter was not allowed so my disciplinary action worked quickly after about three tries. My cat has free run of my home so she doesn't get scolded for anything else as she is a good cat and only this counter thing I had to sort out with her. But cats are different as people are and nobody should strike a cat in anger or frustration that is nasty bad ownership. I only had to use it to train her as vocal rebuking alone failed to work and I did so humanely and with care with the wagging the tips of my fingers not open hand smack.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I found that clapping my hands and saying "NO" or "DOWN" loudly at the same time gets mine off the counters. As others have said, consistency is the key.

peter lawrence

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But do you have to repeatedly do this or does this train them to not do it at all?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Thinking about it, it didn't train them 100%, Rico still jumps on a counter sometimes but Ozzy sure quit doing it.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I gave up. With 6 of the little fur monsters around it's just easier keeping chlorox wipes available.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I know how difficult it is to 'train' a cat. One thing that is for certain is that cats are not like dogs in that physical punishment, like spraying or 'spanking' does NOT work, it only makes them afraid of you. I finally gave up and give my cats one counter that they CAN be on, a small hand towel lets them know that is the spot to be. To train them to stay off of the others, I said 'NO!!" very loudly, picked them up and put them on the floor, or gently pushed them off. It gets easier if you see them about to jump up and yell "NO!!" then, act like you mean it and ignore their cute little faces. To keep your cat off of all counters you have to try to catch him in the act, say no and put him on the floor. EVERY SINGLE TIME, letting him do it once undoes all you have worked for. If he insists, three strikes and put him in a room and shut the door for a small time out, cats hate being removed from all the action. Moving will definitely be a good point to enforce strictly the 'no counter' rule. Giving him a plate of something yummy or a few treats will keep him down there too. Reward his good behavior, and be loud and obnoxious for the bad, even hiss at him, believe it or not that works, just don't let your family see you doing it! 
  Just like small toddlers and puppies, kitten behavior is very frustrating, but please remember, he will grow up, and the behavior WILL improve, usually around two years old. I hope you are blessed for giving him a home, he will grow up and slow down, just keep repeating, like any parent with a toddler, THIS TOO WILL PASS! All the luck and keep us posted!
-Yeaaah we tried the NO and taking him off at hte beginning, he just meowed and then ran back faster to get on it. His food is right below the counter, it's not like there's anything great for him up there.. We've shaken and banged a can with coins in it right in his face and he just stares at it - same with the water spray. Now that we gave up and let him on it, did we basically undo every single thing we've done before and have tos tart from scratch??
I found that clapping my hands and saying "NO" or "DOWN" loudly at the same time gets mine off the counters. As others have said, consistency is the key.
Our cat is a little 'slow' LOL... clapping and loud noises doesn't scare him, but running water and our feet does =.=

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats own the breakfast bar and have a mat by the sink. It may be age but I'm simply more accepting of what cats do and the futility of getting into a war over something they'll likely only learn not to do when your present.  Lysol wipes are pretty cheap at the dollar store. I buy in bulk.

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine do to and it is totally hopeless at least for Opie. When we do see him or hear him we get the spray bottle soon as he sees it he jumps down. However yesterday My hubby told me a handpainted stem  glass on my dining table was broken cause the 2 cats were chasing each other and Ally jumped on the dining room table and broke one of a set. He tried to get up all the broken glass and put the other 3 up. My friend gave me the set for Christmas one year and a friend of hers(I think) had pained the set. Hope she can manage to get me another glass ( for a price of course). O well just another JOY of owning unpredictable animals...  lol

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I always said that Lucky owned the counter. Since he died a couple months ago, I think it's a toss-up between Sara and Oscar as to who owns it. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried hissing at him and also yelled at him in frustration and he didn't get off the counter. He's just a little bit scared of me now... :(

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My cats own the breakfast bar and have a mat by the sink. It may be age but I'm simply more accepting of what cats do and the futility of getting into a war over something they'll likely only learn not to do when your present.  Lysol wipes are pretty cheap at the dollar store. I buy in bulk.
Me too.  After a long and futile war over cats on the counter, I've learned to embrace the behavior.  It just makes life easier and more enjoyable for everyone.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

Me too.  After a long and futile war over cats on the counter, I've learned to embrace the behavior.  It just makes life easier and more enjoyable for everyone.
I cherish all the pics I have of my Lucky on the counter. He was so absolutely happy up there, would just roll around with delight. And that's where he'd be, waiting to greet me when I came home :) I wouldn't change that at all. 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I cherish all the pics I have of my Lucky on the counter. He was so absolutely happy up there, would just roll around with delight. And that's where he'd be, waiting to greet me when I came home :) I wouldn't change that at all. 
As I've said. I'd give anything to get up and see Kitten's big footprints all over my counters. She liked to lay on the end where anyone walking by would feel obligated to stop and pet kiss or hug her. There was nothing she didn't supervise. Fight the battles that matter and accept that when you open your home to any pet, child  SO or spouse you have to lose some control. You will live with sticky fingers. smelly feet and most likely footprints of your felines on every vertical surface in your home. All of which can be washed.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You mentioned that your place isn't big. Cats need space and more importantly, they need vertical space. Before trying to teach the cat to stay off the counters you have to provide him with suitable alternatives. Do you have any cat trees? Maybe you can arrange some shelves just for him to hop on and across the room (it can be a good solution when there's not enough floor space). 

In my experience, trying to teach the cat certain rules can only be done after we provided whatever it is he's gaining from the activity we want to stop. If he's got limited vertical space, there's not a lot you can do to stop him from getting up on those counters, as you've discovered 

A couple of articles - 

[article="22407"]Get Off How To Discourage Your Cat From Jumping On Counters​[/article]  

[article="32493"]The Dos And Donts Of Cat Behavior Modification​[/article]  

[article="32827"]How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat​[/article]  

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Totally agree with Anne.   My cats are allowed everywhere but the kitchen counters and dinner table.  I think it worked out pretty easily because of alternatives for them.   I have a 10' long bow window with a deep seat for them and they have high places to sit.  A rather loud "No"  a couple of times when they jumped up on the counter/table  seemed to work.  I also use a lemon scented cleaner on the counters and lemon oil on the table.  I also do not leave food out nor do I give table food to my cats.  

However, I do have two "former ferals" who live in the lower level of my split entry home.(family room, office,)  (territory issues)  They are allowed on the counters of the kitchenette as there is no stove issue and the kitchen is used only for them.   Yet, they too prefer the boxed windows and shelves that run along one of walls.

I got my "upstairs cats" when Stellar was one and a half and Pedro was 7 years old.   The ferals were 6 months old.  I volunteer at a rescue and have fostered feral kittens.  Kittens are very curious and active and I believe take longer to "train".    I also believe that rules for cats should be kept to a minimum and training should be consistent and "kind".   Just my 2 cents.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have so much vertical space! I think they like the counter because it's the closest thing to getting eye-level with us when we're standing in that area. Or as I said, for Lucky to greet me. Hard to miss that black and white fluff ball meowing at me especially when he's right in the center of my field of vision! 

Of course, we never tried very hard to keep them off. They were used to counter life back at the old house. And then they taught the kittens.

But as far as vertical stuff, we've got a kitty condo, a cat tree, countless shelves (with stuff on them, they like the challenge I think), the top of my shower door, the tops of doors, the cabinets (oh they love the cabinets) and a kitty condo we got shortly before the kittens came home. I have to wonder if a cat tree was near the counter if that would make a difference?? Hmmm. Not that I'm moving the cat tree, but it's a thought for other folks.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We taught Eclipse early on to stay off the counter.  We have an electric stove that is inlaid for part of the counter.  Unfortunately we also have a galley kitchen.  It's a challenge to move around with the cats on the floor wondering what I'm doing.