*Gasp* WarGames is 25 years old?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WarGames

This movie is sort of woven into the fabric of my childhood. We were an "early adopter family", meaning that we had cable TV before many of our neighbors. Therefore, WarGames was on HBO in 1988. A lot. Like every day for two months. I was ten and I ate it up.

Now that this film is turning 25 it makes me want to rent it and watch it again. I know every line, and every plot point, yet it's just a film I feel like I have to revisit.

So, how about a nice game of chess?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen it. Sounds like another one I should rent.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked at Wikipedia and about a month ago I did see part of it at the gym while I was doing the treadmill and made a mental note to look it up at home, but forgot. I saw up to the part where they were debating the human element. It looked pretty good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I've never seen it. Sounds like another one I should rent.
It's most likely going to be a bit on the campy side if you've never seen it. It was dependent on a lot of 1983 technology, so some of it may make you laugh or at the very least feel slightly nostalgic.

It's not a "great" film by any stretch, but it sort of hit the nail on the head by mirroring the fears of the time.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is one of my 80's favorites! My friend and I used to "play" WarGames, pretending we worked in the defense room, announcing the different DefCon levels. Nice lighthearted game for kids, eh?