"Gary, Sheldon's not coming home." :'(

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And so it was.

Whatever “this” was, it hit hard and fast. There were 2 or 3 days of Sheldon clearly not feeling quite right – but he played, ate, groomed, and bothered us for “brushies.” Then that Sunday morning, I woke up, went to check on him – and his nose was white. I checked his gums: white. I flashed back to the roller coaster ride we had with his sibling, Tuxedo. Only Tuxie developed anemia when he was 2. He had several miracles along the way, beat the odds, and after a seven-year fight, Tux went into remission.

The difference between Shel and Tux wasn’t just age at onset. Sheldon’s bone marrow biopsy indicated his bone marrow was “ineffective.” Red blood cells simply weren’t making it out of his bone marrow. This is not typical in IMHA. The vets were all quite …guarded in prognosis.

After blood work, ultrasound and bone marrow biopsy, when his HCT dropped to 8% the following Thursday, Sheldon got a blood transfusion to buy him time for immune suppression to work – if it was going to. What it bought was a few days at home, to say good-bye to his brothers and sisters, to curl up in bed with us and be loved on before he let go of his body. :heart2: :bawling: :heart2:

I found TCS because of the kittens that turned up in our yard the spring of 2002. Lazlo and Sheldon were the first two feral kitties we brought inside full-time. Laz came in first. We brought Shel inside 10 days later, as kittens should be in pairs to play with and keep each other company. :rub: Here's that story. :lol3: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9727/we-rescued-another-one

The funny thing is, we thought Lazlo was going to be first in everything: he’s in remission from large cell lymphoma, given 4 weeks to live at time of diagnosis in 2011. And yet here we are. We had just over a week to wrap our minds around the notion that we were going to say good-bye to Sheldon first. :( And we never really did. We refused to give up hope that Shel would get his miracle, too. :bawling: It’s finally sinking in that we will never be able to pet Sheldon again. :Wings:

Sheldon was … he was so many things. How can words honor such a cat? He was so sweet, so silly, so loving, so jealous (LOL), so gregarious – he was just so big for such a little package. Shel was our Ambassador kitty: he was amazing with the foster babies. He was our comedian, and we miss his antics terribly. He was named after Sheldon Kornpet in the (1979) movie, the In-Laws. As Vince said throughout the movie, “What a guy!” That was our Shelly – what a guy. What a guy!!!!

:rbheart:

Shel, we miss you. We love you, now and forever. You stomped on our hearts, and you earned your wings, baby boy. Soar far and wide. Find my daddy, and explore the ether with him! He may not have been a “cat guy,” but he loved everyone and everything that was good and beautiful – and that was you, Shel. You will both be forever in my heart and never far from my mind. :heart2: :rbheart: :heart2: Your daddy misses you terribly. Please purr for him in his dreams. :heart2: :rbheart: :heart2:

Shelly..... :bawling: :sun: :( :heart2: :rbheart:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

:rbheart: Fly free, Shelly. April 2002 - March 11, 2015 :rbheart:

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
:rbheart: :rbheart: :rbheart: So sorry for your loss. Sheldon was an amazing cat. :rbheart::rbheart::rbheart:

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.  His personality really comes through on the photos of him.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hun, I am so sorry for your loss. This is truly heartbreaking...and so sudden. 
  Just as you trying to find the words to describe Shel, I can't seem to find the words to express my condolences. If I could, I'd simply put my arm around you as you cry and not say a word...a powerful silence expressive of my utmost support and compassion during this difficult time.

Rest in peace, sweet Sheldon. 
  You will be greatly missed.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for sharing the pictures.  They tell an amazing story.  I am so sorry for your loss and Gary's, as well.  Beautiful Sheldon.  

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, Laurie :(. Words are never adequate for loss of our children. And I know it is the hardest thing especially for you, who always goes the extra mile or more, not to be able to do more and to have to watch him leave you :(. He is with you in spirit for sure and will wait for you, for the next life. You and Gary are in my thoughts and prayers.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that Sheldon lost his battle. He'll be healthy and happy at the Rainbow Bridge.
I say good night to my Rainbow Bridge babies every night, keeps them warm in my heart.

Hugs for you and Gary,
Lisa

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry. :hugs: :rbheart: :hugs:
Nothing I can say will make it easier or lessen the pain you feel right now.

RIP beautiful, sweet boy :rbheart: :angel: :rbheart:

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so so sorry for your loss. Sheldon was an amazing cat. May he have many friends over the bridge.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this.

What a lucky cat he was to find two people like you and Gary to share his life with. 

Rest in Peace Sheldon.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, I know words fail to say what we truly mean, there are no words to measure the amount of pain in your heart. It's so very hard to accept the emptiness it brings into our lives, and it takes a long time for the hole in our hearts to mend. Please take comfort in your memories, they are truly priceless. Your sweet Sheldon knew he was loved and wanted, and because of this would want you to remember him with smiles instead of tears. Take care......... RIP beautiful Sheldon!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So very sorry for your loss.  What an extraordinary tribute to him.

dalimili18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG, he was indeed adorable and special cat who obviously brought you tons of joy.

I am so sorry for your loss, you should just cherrish all these wonderful memories that you had with him.

I truly hope it will not be too hard on you.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, Laurie, I am so sorry to hear this, and am shedding  tears for you.
  You really can see his personality in those pictures. what a sweet, silly, lovable little boy!  

He was blessed to have you & Gary as parents. To have a life full of siblings, play, & lots & lots of love!! 

You will both be in my prayers during this difficult time.  ......Big hearts break the hardest.

Sending lots of hugs & love!!  

R.I.P. Sweet Sheldon