Gardening/leash Training

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've come to enjoy gardening a lot over the years, something I never thought I'd do. I've been entertaining the idea of leash training our cats to give them a stroll around our garden. My husband is against it because he feels it might affect them since they show no desire to go out and it might open up a can of "worms":) I'd really like to take them around our garden and give them a taste of sunshine and the outdoors. Any thoughts on that?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

LuvDeezKittez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it might open up a can of "worms":) I'd really like to take them around our garden and give them a taste of sunshine and the outdoors. Any thoughts on that?
First of all, BEAUTIFUL garden! :sunshine::sunshine::sunshine:

Second, wanting to expand your cats world and share something beautiful with them is a lovely sentiment. You obviously care about their whole well-being-- physical and mental.

Third, I think your husband is right but for the wrong reason. Yes it IS a can of worms. But step back and think what is really wrong about that? You WANT the cats to go out in nature and bring that enrichment to their lives, can you really be upset if that's exactly what they do? You can't send a mixed message of "You can enjoy this, but don't enjoy it too much!" Can you imagine if someone did that to you with gardening? "Oh you like plants? Here's a couple of seeds to play around with...but only this once!" Ha! That would be torture.
garden3.jpg
I think you've got to get the bottom of his and your hesitation. Ask yourself honestly, there is no wrong answer here! Is it safety? "I don't want the cats running out into the street" Is it health? "I don't want them to get a parasite." Is it fear? "What if they run away and we can't find them?" etc etc
garden4.jpg
Perhaps it's all of the above or perhaps you don't want them begging to go outside all the time. There are precautions, countermeasures and solutions for all of the above hesitations (flea & tick spray, harnesses, fencing, catio, etc etc) as well as counterarguments. I know this doesn't sound helpful but it's a very individual decision.
980x.gif
We took a mixed approach ourselves because like you we wanted them to have a full experience. When they were itty bitty babies we took them on daily neighborhood walks in a pet stroller to familiarize them with their yard and the surrounding area. If they ever escaped out the door we wanted them to know where to go.
garden6.jpg
When they were older kittens we began them on harnesses so that they could explore the yard and experience the joys of the bird feeders up close, the thrill of chewing on a blade of grass, chasing a butterfly, and rolling around on the hot driveway.
kitten.jpg
As they get older now we will transition them to a longer lead so that we can garden and do yard work while they play. Our goal is eventually to have them off-leash hanging out with us outside when we go outside. We drew the line at them being outdoors unattended, which was our personal choice because of the neighborhood we live in. Though it's such a hot-topic on the cat forums there are many, many cats (my parents' cats included) who are perfectly fine being indoor-outdoor cats who come and go as they please. It's all up to you and your husband, every family has to make that call for themselves.
garden2.jpg
I say, if you can safely and comfortably give your kitties the pleasure of the outdoors, DO IT! :catrub: Besides, cats will be cats. After all of this debating and worrying on your part they may turn out to not like it all and then the whole thing will be moot. LOL
catgarden.jpg

Happy Gardening!

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, BEAUTIFUL garden! :sunshine::sunshine::sunshine:

Second, wanting to expand your cats world and share something beautiful with them is a lovely sentiment. You obviously care about their whole well-being-- physical and mental.

Third, I think your husband is right but for the wrong reason. Yes it IS a can of worms. But step back and think what is really wrong about that? You WANT the cats to go out in nature and bring that enrichment to their lives, can you really be upset if that's exactly what they do? You can't send a mixed message of "You can enjoy this, but don't enjoy it too much!" Can you imagine if someone did that to you with gardening? "Oh you like plants? Here's a couple of seeds to play around with...but only this once!" Ha! That would be torture.
I think you've got to get the bottom of his and your hesitation. Ask yourself honestly, there is no wrong answer here! Is it safety? "I don't want the cats running out into the street" Is it health? "I don't want them to get a parasite." Is it fear? "What if they run away and we can't find them?" etc etc
Perhaps it's all of the above or perhaps you don't want them begging to go outside all the time. There are precautions, countermeasures and solutions for all of the above hesitations (flea & tick spray, harnesses, fencing, catio, etc etc) as well as counterarguments. I know this doesn't sound helpful but it's a very individual decision.
We took a mixed approach ourselves because like you we wanted them to have a full experience. When they were itty bitty babies we took them on daily neighborhood walks in a pet stroller to familiarize them with their yard and the surrounding area. If they ever escaped out the door we wanted them to know where to go.
When they were older kittens we began them on harnesses so that they could explore the yard and experience the joys of the bird feeders up close, the thrill of chewing on a blade of grass, chasing a butterfly, and rolling around on the hot driveway.
As they get older now we will transition them to a longer lead so that we can garden and do yard work while they play. Our goal is eventually to have them off-leash hanging out with us outside when we go outside. We drew the line at them being outdoors unattended, which was our personal choice because of the neighborhood we live in. Though it's such a hot-topic on the cat forums there are many, many cats (my parents' cats included) who are perfectly fine being indoor-outdoor cats who come and go as they please. It's all up to you and your husband, every family has to make that call for themselves.
I say, if you can safely and comfortably give your kitties the pleasure of the outdoors, DO IT! :catrub: Besides, cats will be cats. After all of this debating and worrying on your part they may turn out to not like it all and then the whole thing will be moot. LOL
View attachment 271984
Happy Gardening!

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement and for putting things into perspective! Gardening has enriched my life and I'm getting excited at the prospect of sharing it with them, I appreciate the insight! One big concern is will I be successful leash training them? I've walked dogs before but not cats. Thanks, again!

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should try it and let kitty decide after a fair go at it.
I harness trained Ziva. She was 3 years old when I got her from the shelter and afraid of outside. We went slow and every positive step forward was rewarding for both of us. She eventually became eager to go out. I don't consider this a can of worms. Cats like routines, so our routine was to go out twice per day. With the extra sensory input it is obvious that she is more fulfilled. In less than a year we have progressed to going out together without the harness. She leads and I follow. She knows when I get in front of her that it is time to turn around. She doesn't run off and will run to the front door when unsure or frightened of a situation such as a vehicle coming up the driveway or deer in our yard. Our country setting give some options that may not be correct for a more urban setting. Important to factor in your environment in the decision process.
Hope you give it a try. Looking forward to hearing of your progress.