Gardening 2020

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WE HAVE ACHIEVED TOMATOES! I picked the first ones today, and it looks like more will be ripening soon. It surely took long enough, though. Also, our phlox are exploding into bloom. That rain we got, coupled with the heat, has really brought them out.
Glamour Girl phlox
20200718_092714.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Everyone's gardens are looking so good now!

Mine has been pretty battered by the monsoon, but the good news is that we've only had light drizzle for the past few days, so maybe it's almost over.

The hydrangea are flowering.

Garden226.jpg
Garden228.jpg
Garden229.jpg

I thought this was a white hydrangea, but now I'm not so sure. It's getting very big very quickly, I think it might be a tree of some kind.
Garden231.jpg

The hosta are flowering too
Garden232.jpg
Garden233.jpg
Garden234.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? There are big patches of it growing under the pine trees. It smells very nice, particularly in the evening.
Garden241.jpg

As soon as the rains are over I'm going to clean off the deck, compost any plants that are finished and then get a few more summer plants and flowers for the rest of the year.

Hopefully next week.

:crossfingers:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone's gardens are looking so good now!

Mine has been pretty battered by the monsoon, but the good news is that we've only had light drizzle for the past few days, so maybe it's almost over.

The hydrangea are flowering.

View attachment 343739View attachment 343740View attachment 343741
I thought this was a white hydrangea, but now I'm not so sure. It's getting very big very quickly, I think it might be a tree of some kind.
View attachment 343742
The hosta are flowering too
View attachment 343743View attachment 343744View attachment 343745
Does anyone know what this is? There are big patches of it growing under the pine trees. It smells very nice, particularly in the evening.
View attachment 343746
As soon as the rains are over I'm going to clean off the deck, compost any plants that are finished and then get a few more summer plants and flowers for the rest of the year.

Hopefully next week.

:crossfingers:
Very nice! Our hostas are blooming as well. It is a shame that so many plants bloom for only a few days, and then are gone until next year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I harvested 24 pounds of potatoes the other day. I still have a row that isn't quite ready yet. I tried new varieties of tomatoes this year - both heirlooms. I won't be doing that again. They are both eaten up with blight, even though I have kept them pruned so the bottom leaves don't get splash back. I will probably be ripping them out soon. On the whole, I am disappointed in the garden this year. Oh well, Lord willing, there is always next year.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan The white flower with the - I'll be polite and say thumb-like upright extension is Houttunyia cordata. Has about a zillion common names. Invasive in my garden.

The white flowered shrub is also a hydrangea, not a tree.

One of my summer bulbs is flowering exceptionally well, the second year in the garden. Leaves like a gladiola but - obviously - spreads underground. I have a feeling it will spread more aggressively than I want. But it is lovely. Meet

BelleWood in Bloom_2020-07_Crocosmia Lucifer-multiple.jpg

Crocosmia 'Lucifer'​

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DD and I harvested a brimming pint container of cherry tomatoes this morning. We picked a few large tomatoes that aren't ready yet; but can finish inside. I want to get them before any bugs do. Last week I was able to make Tortellini Caprese Salad with homegrown cherry tomatoes. They were SO good!!

I need to pick beans again and the corn is making actual corn; so it's time to side dress that again. I'm waiting till later this evening or maybe I'll go out very first thing tomorrow morning. It's 90bajillion degrees at the moment. 😅

Some of my potted flowers are looking past their peak. But it's still very colorful outside the door so we are enjoying it. One of my red bud trees has died though. I'm not really sure what happened to it. It has always been a little smaller and bloomed later than the one next to it. It's closer to the road so maybe thats the problem.

My Sunflowers have started blooming. A couple are VERY tall now. One is in front of my kitchen window; so once it blooms we'll be able to see the flower from inside too. I just can't open that window (they swing out). :lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been lucky so far with our tomatoes. The framework I built keeps everything off the ground and away from the slugs and other pests, and the straw I used for mulch has kept the soil reasonably moist. Next year, however, I think I'll try a vertical trellis, which would free up some space for maybe a row or two of beans or leaf lettuce.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Beautiful flowers btw
Thank you. I'm very happy that it's kept that deep blue colour even after five years here
The white flower with the - I'll be polite and say thumb-like upright extension is Houttunyia cordata
Thank you! I Googled it, in Japanese it's called 十薬, usually pronounced dokudami. The kanji means ten medicines, apparently it's used to make herbal teas.

Anything that grows under pine trees is welcome here.

:lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick brought in two gorgeous tomatoes the other day to finish ripening. We're having them for dinner tonight in BLTs.

I was working in the kitchen this afternoon and Rick was up in the garden. He came in with his arms full of zucchini, yelling, "It's relish time!" I shredded 24 cups of zucchini, mixing it with 8 cups of diced onion, hit it with ten tablespoons of canning salt, and stuck it in the fridge for tomorrow morning, when I'll rinse and drain it well, add the chopped peppers and seasonings before canning. Hoping to get between 10 and 14 pints of zucchini relish. It's excellent on hotdogs and hamburgers, brats, and I also use it in potato and macaroni salad. Good stuff!

He also brought in a small ton of grape tomatoes in various stages of ripening. I think that I'll get the dehydrator out on Saturday morning and dry the grape tomatoes. I can use them in place of sun-dried tomatoes in many recipes.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little itty bitty tomatoes are starting to form <3 <3 <3

20200722_182743.jpg

Hmmmmm..... still not convinced this is a strawberry plant after looking up seedling pictures. Pulling tomorrow. Still no straberries yet. Thinking this is another tree. Cotyledons were different than the cotton trees, but my hope was smashed, and no, it's not a strawberry plant.
20200722_182817.jpg

All my lovely plants right now.
20200722_182832.jpg