Gardening 2020

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Much as I wish it were otherwise, we only have room for a couple of tomato plants and, considering the late start we got, they are doing very well. Aside from that, you'll have to settle for more flower pictures.
20200629_193954.jpg
One of Michele's hens and chicks.
20200629_194102.jpg
This morning, there were only a couple of petals on this coneflower- the first to bloom. Echinacea purpura 'Butterfly Kisses'
20200629_194307.jpg
Another shot of Coreopsis 'Daybreak'

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My lettuce was predicted to be ready a few days ago and for the next couple of weeks. Harvested my first bundle today! I forgot to take before pictures before rinsing and breaking up for a salad, but can you tell where it was pulled??

20200630_133138[1].jpg

I'll probably pull the one of the left some other time soon and plant a couple more seeds on the left and maybe harvest the other ones the next couple of weeks, spacing out harvests. I did plant a couple other seeds in between these, with at least one sprouted so far, but realized it may disturb the soil to pull out by the roots, so I'l try to go down the line and replant as I go. The leaves that have grown in since fertilizing seem healthier and growing better. I'll probably start fertilizing sooner than a month, even if the bag claims to fertilize up to a month, and see if my plants grow better.

The one bundle was enough for my mom and I to have a small bowl each! (Cherry tomato not one I made, but was already in the bowl.)
20200630_133117[1].jpg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few more flower pictures. Yesterday, there were only buds on these tiger lilies, but today...........
20200701_131402.jpg
The Delphinium only had a few blooms, but now they are going crazy. The spikes on this one are over 6 feet high.
IMG_0044.JPG
This veronica is now in full bloom also
IMG_0046.JPG

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The first pick of the raised bed of beans. We'll have to go up again this weekend, more on the way! We had some for dinner last night and froze the rest, using the food saver. You can't get much fresher than that.
FirstBeansRESIZED.jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first pick of the raised bed of beans. We'll have to go up again this weekend, more on the way! We had some for dinner last night and froze the rest, using the food saver. You can't get much fresher than that.
View attachment 341398
Looks delicious! This reminds me of hearing someone mention on a food cooking show that there is white asparagus that is kept away from the sun so it does not turn green. Is this similar with the white beans? Were they in the shade or just a different plant?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have similar with one of my plants that has many tiny offshoots coming off. I want to let them grow a bit bigger, but also want to cut them off and start new plants out of them now. Keep me updated
Succulent update! I finally got all the little shoots and the bigger plant (The one I cut the head off) into bowls.

The large one at the back here is the head I cut off.
Garden217.jpg

Lots of little babies like these needed their own place to put down roots.
Garden218.jpg

I feel the tiny plastic dinosaurs add a certain je ne sais quoi to the whole arrangement. :lol2:
Garden219.jpg

This was a nice glaze, but it had too much flux in the mix and didn't fit the clay body. It crawled off the pot and all over the kiln shelf. But that's OK. My potting disasters always make good garden ornaments and the cracks where I chipped it off the kiln shelf make good drainage holes.
Garden220.jpg

Another bowl of succulents and dinosaur.
Garden221.jpg

This is the stem of the one I cut the head off, already has a little shoot.
Garden222.jpg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is good news on the bug front. It has been 2 days now since I have seen any of those beetles on Michele's lilies. Apparently, the combination of the neem oil and diatomaceous earth did the trick- so far, at least.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan LOVE!!! That looks so cute, and I love dinaosaurs. A+ in my book! :) You have a really good design eye. The large stones look really good around the succulents, too. Where did you get the dinos from??

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update time!

Cherry tomatoes. One looks sad, but has been perking up everytime I water the past couple of days, but it is really, really sad today, but did not perk up with water. Would using organic fertilizer cause this in one, but not the other in the pot? The fertilizer was a type to mix in the top layer of soil and is slow release over the next 4 weeks or so. Or does this one maybe not have as many roots and not getting as much water as the other one? Not sure. We'll see what happens.
SAM_0523.JPG

My big tomato plant getting very, very big!
SAM_0524.JPG

And what is this.....??? The start of flowers??? <3 Does that mean tomatoes will start to grow soon?
SAM_0526.JPG

Lettuce getting big! Will harvest another couple this week and plant more seeds. Then the next week or two all will be harvested from this group.
SAM_0527.JPG

Mixed pot is getting bigger.
SAM_0528.JPG

Carrots. Some of the new seeds sprouted.
SAM_0529.JPG

Swiss chard. Is it supposed to be growing like this? I know they have thick stalks, so assuming yes. Think they have another couple of weeks before they are supposed to be ready. I may grow lettuce in these containers because they are so quick to grow after these are ready. Plus, not sure how far into fall I can keep growing and these take longer to mature.
SAM_0530.JPG
SAM_0531.JPG

Catnip growing slowly. Does any one recommend any fertilizer for these? Need to look up what kind they would use.
SAM_0532.JPG

Cilantro looking a bit sad. Let the soil dry out as these like that and watered just a touch the other say to see if it would perk up. Keeping an eye on this one.
SAM_0533.JPG

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never used fertilizer for catnip plants. Maybe you can try adding in some compost?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cherry tomato plants are getting loaded with almost-ready tomatoes. Considering the late start, I've had to prune them several times to keep them in check.
20200706_200040.jpg
20200706_195830.jpg