Gardening 2020

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love all your pictures! And I love seeing flower pictures every bit as much as I love seeing veggie pictures. N NY cat man That is some camera....your flower pictures are stunning. We have tried several times to grow butterfly bush, but they don't survive. One of my co-workers said that he even cuts his bushes right down to the soil in the fall and it comes back every spring. They are beautiful. And that dianthus is stunning.

We have green peppers. I need to go up today and take some. I will use some of them in our hot sausage sandwiches tonight and the rest I'll put in the freezer. We have little, about two-inch green beans. There are actual full-size strawberries in the bed; we're waiting for them to color. There are tomatoes, just little green tomatoes, but we have quite a few. The squash is coming on, both zucchini and yellow squash. But it's been really dry and, even though, we are watering, it's not enough. We did have a nice shower this morning; hopefully that will help a bit. No butternut flowers yet, but again, that could be due to it being so dry.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love all your pictures! And I love seeing flower pictures every bit as much as I love seeing veggie pictures. N NY cat man That is some camera....your flower pictures are stunning. We have tried several times to grow butterfly bush, but they don't survive. One of my co-workers said that he even cuts his bushes right down to the soil in the fall and it comes back every spring. They are beautiful. And that dianthus is stunning.

We have green peppers. I need to go up today and take some. I will use some of them in our hot sausage sandwiches tonight and the rest I'll put in the freezer. We have little, about two-inch green beans. There are actual full-size strawberries in the bed; we're waiting for them to color. There are tomatoes, just little green tomatoes, but we have quite a few. The squash is coming on, both zucchini and yellow squash. But it's been really dry and, even though, we are watering, it's not enough. We did have a nice shower this morning; hopefully that will help a bit. No butternut flowers yet, but again, that could be due to it being so dry.
We tried butterfly bush as well, and it didn't do anything either. This is butterfly weed, (Asclepias tuberosa) that we grew from seeds planted last year. Although they sprouted and grew last year, they take a full year from planting before they bloom, but the results speak for themselves. Plus, they are perennials.

Oysterbay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would you have any recommendations with growing vegetables in pots outside? Starting that this month as a fun project to keep me busy. I did buy a book, but if you have any tips to share! :) With your expertise in herb gardening, any tips for cilantro? Most of the veggies and cilantro will be grown from seeds as it was cheaper... so it will be exciting to see what grows!

@LTS3 Succulents!! Around Feb. I placed my succulents in a box above my closet as my kittens kept pulling the plants out and meant to give or throw them all away. Never did, and when I went to clean out my rental at school early May, there will still some succulents alive in the box! They even grew, although were etiolated due to lack of sunlight, which was evident by them growing stretched out with leaves spaced farther apart.

This is what they normally look like and before they were put into a box... Healthy plants getting enough sunlight:
View attachment 334745

My plants still alive after being in a box on the top of my closet and no watering.

View attachment 334746

Close-up of one that etiolated due to lack of sunlight, but it still grew.
View attachment 334747

I haven't had much luck with some plants in the past, but succulents have been so fun to keep! Low maintenance, too. Water once a week during growing season, enough that water drips out the draining hole and good to go until next watering. If not growing season, watering can be done even less. Plus, they are easy to propagate through leaves and cuttings.

Excited about this thread and to share updates along my gardening journey.
I third the succulent love. They can seem exotic to some, but I find them beautiful. Air plants, also. They get plenty of love on Pinterest if anyone needs inspo. I’ve been helping my friend with his plants, and really itching to get my own. Here are some young olive trees, flowers and herbs. A2E9785E-E89D-473F-A2DF-6FD5CF6D417F.jpeg 37280F2C-84CE-4298-919C-2AF64DF469AE.jpeg 51C04DA4-842F-455A-B89A-0F59C16C23D3.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hey folks, just popping in really quick. Ive been messing around with the gardens since May and am trying some vegetables this year. I redid the tire garden and a neighbor gave me some fencing so I'm in the process of setting it up.

I had to move the tires due to soil way too wet where they were. I planted pickling cukes, pumpkins and going to plant pole beans for a fall harvest down there.

Up on the yard I planted a ton of potatoes red skin and Yukon. They are coming along beautifully. I've got to hill them because they are over 2 feet tall...I have been using the junk in my compost pile and it seems to be working. I've got a bag of compost I've got to spread out too.

In the front yard road garden I have orange grape tomatoes growing and various flowers. We are in a drought and I'm out watering nightly with it so hot.

I need to catch up on your posts

I have butterfly bushes and i did lose 2 of them this year. Ive got 3 left. They like to be watered often when spring is here. Last year I didn't keep up with the watering so probably why I lost 2. I planted these many years ago. I leave them for the winter and spring cut back a foot from the ground...i have them in afternoon sun. They grow 6 feet or taller..

Here's some pictures..

Tire garden, pickling cukes. I just spray painted my tomato cages a fluorescent yellow...these were rusty nasty.

20200627_151222.jpg

15932946659792940567138907795753.jpg

Pumpkins and beans

15932947229863131621285859571367.jpg

Two different types of tomatoes. One is a Rainbow and the other is a dark color? I can't remember. These were for sale at Ocean state lot and these have been very successful!

15932948093665285052535232756850.jpg

Marigold and orange grape tomatoes
I sprayed the cages a hot pink color.

15932948899379101772168072110952.jpg

A new plant this year. Sun drops. A lady down the road is selling dug out plants for cheap money so I've been trying a few different things
I've got 2 more things to plant soon...and forgot what it's called.

15932950180934789309048460224388.jpg

Night shade petunias and lobelia? I think it's called..

15932950669961704513962846769382.jpg

False sunflowers are growing huge here. Bee balm is in the background.

15932951103032664885694497139434.jpg

Hot pink wave petunias and that putple blue flower stuff. I did buy petunias off Ebay again and these were super tiny back in may. These grew HUGE in a short amount of time. I did feed them liquid fertilizer 2 times so far.

15932952027503137080580912460439.jpg

These were only planted 2 or 3 weeks ago and were super tiny. I bought expensive potting mix by miracle grow and got the water retention one, what a difference it made!

15932952954123379544934476450092.jpg

A hanging plant from ocean state lot amd the vine is clematis. It's almost ready to bloom.

15932954004388787150575226731067.jpg

Another clematis and the side garden.

15932954701984164568849062382367.jpg

Hosta is HUGE. This one is in shade, the others are smaller...these make purple flowers.
15932955380342970160653075855092.jpg

The huge bee balm is still growing...

I will post more pictures soon...this year has been a really good year for growing except for the drought but the weather has been sunny and HOT every day.

Oysterbay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey folks, just popping in really quick. Ive been messing around with the gardens since May and am trying some vegetables this year. I redid the tire garden and a neighbor gave me some fencing so I'm in the process of setting it up.

I had to move the tires due to soil way too wet where they were. I planted pickling cukes, pumpkins and going to plant pole beans for a fall harvest down there.

Up on the yard I planted a ton of potatoes red skin and Yukon. They are coming along beautifully. I've got to hill them because they are over 2 feet tall...I have been using the junk in my compost pile and it seems to be working. I've got a bag of compost I've got to spread out too.

In the front yard road garden I have orange grape tomatoes growing and various flowers. We are in a drought and I'm out watering nightly with it so hot.

I need to catch up on your posts

I have butterfly bushes and i did lose 2 of them this year. Ive got 3 left. They like to be watered often when spring is here. Last year I didn't keep up with the watering so probably why I lost 2. I planted these many years ago. I leave them for the winter and spring cut back a foot from the ground...i have them in afternoon sun. They grow 6 feet or taller..

Here's some pictures..

Tire garden, pickling cukes. I just spray painted my tomato cages a fluorescent yellow...these were rusty nasty.

View attachment 340765

View attachment 340766
Pumpkins and beans

View attachment 340767
Two different types of tomatoes. One is a Rainbow and the other is a dark color? I can't remember. These were for sale at Ocean state lot and these have been very successful!

View attachment 340768
Marigold and orange grape tomatoes
I sprayed the cages a hot pink color.

View attachment 340769
A new plant this year. Sun drops. A lady down the road is selling dug out plants for cheap money so I've been trying a few different things
I've got 2 more things to plant soon...and forgot what it's called.

View attachment 340770
Night shade petunias and lobelia? I think it's called..

View attachment 340771
False sunflowers are growing huge here. Bee balm is in the background.

View attachment 340772
Hot pink wave petunias and that putple blue flower stuff. I did buy petunias off Ebay again and these were super tiny back in may. These grew HUGE in a short amount of time. I did feed them liquid fertilizer 2 times so far.

View attachment 340773
These were only planted 2 or 3 weeks ago and were super tiny. I bought expensive potting mix by miracle grow and got the water retention one, what a difference it made!

View attachment 340774
A hanging plant from ocean state lot amd the vine is clematis. It's almost ready to bloom.

View attachment 340776
Another clematis and the side garden.

View attachment 340777
Hosta is HUGE. This one is in shade, the others are smaller...these make purple flowers. View attachment 340778
The huge bee balm is still growing...

I will post more pictures soon...this year has been a really good year for growing except for the drought but the weather has been sunny and HOT every day.
Stunning! A garden of Eden. I just ordered a book on hummingbird gardening and hope to have those feathered pollinators around soon.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 3 feeders out, with flowers in hanging baskets on the same double shepherd's hooks as an added attraction. It is something to see when 2 hummingbirds arrive at the same time and try to drive each other off.
While looking things over this morning after the rain last night, I saw that there are tomatoes on the plants. Small, yes, and still some time away, to be sure, but tomatoes nonetheless.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Beautiful pictures everyone! We're still mid monsoon here, but the forest smells amazing as all the wild honeysuckle and flowering trees are in bloom.

I made two little cacti and succulent arrangements and they're doing pretty well. I'll have to post some pictures soon.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
N NY cat man Thank you! I'm going to look for butterfly weed. It's so pretty.

We had one ripened strawberry, which Rick promptly washed and gobbled down. He says we need to go up to pick yellow beans; he thinks we have enough for a meal for the two of us. I always get excited when we can pick the veggies.

Love the pictures, guys!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man Thank you! I'm going to look for butterfly weed. It's so pretty.

We had one ripened strawberry, which Rick promptly washed and gobbled down. He says we need to go up to pick yellow beans; he thinks we have enough for a meal for the two of us. I always get excited when we can pick the veggies.

Love the pictures, guys!
You're welcome. By the way, the seeds we got are from Burpee.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
The pink lilies are Asiatic lily Tiny Athlete. Don’t know the name of the red lily because a neighbor gave me them, and I don’t remember what the reddish pink small flower plant is. It starts out almost red and then fades to light pink
That smaller pink looks like yarrow-it comes in different colors and very hardy.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you don't have the same problem with your lilies that we do with ours- red lily beetles. Some of them have had half of their leaves eaten off in almost no time at all. Neem oil doesn't faze them, so I went to plan B- diatomaceous earth. According to the online source I found, by coating the ground around the plant stems, the spiracles of the beetle get clogged by the powder and they suffocate. The advantage is that no toxic chemicals are used. Now, I'll just have to wait and see if it works or not.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you don't have the same problem with your lilies that we do with ours- red lily beetles. Some of them have had half of their leaves eaten off in almost no time at all. Neem oil doesn't faze them, so I went to plan B- diatomaceous earth. According to the online source I found, by coating the ground around the plant stems, the spiracles of the beetle get clogged by the powder and they suffocate. The advantage is that no toxic chemicals are used. Now, I'll just have to wait and see if it works or not.
No, haven’t had that problem, at least not yet. I do have a creature, probably a rabbit, that eats a few leaves but usually just on one or two plants.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should be picking some beans any day now. I was surprised with what I saw last night! I’m going to side dress my corn today even in the heat. I’ll just treat myself to an ice pop or a cold shower afterwards. I don’t think it should take me long. As long as I don’t end up weeding or something.