Gardening 2020

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't had much of a problem with our tomatoes splitting. When it didn't rain, I would put about a half-gallon of water on the roots every morning, and while there has been some, it is pretty limited in scope.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neglected I’m afraid. School just takes up a lot of time! My squash are done. The beans too. The tomato plants look terrible but are producing some. The corn is browning and should make some good fall decorations soon. :lol: I can see peppers from the house. I just need to go see if any are worth picking.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily A common name for Canna is Indian Shot. The very hard seeds were once used in shotguns, are hard and dense enough to sink in water. Get yourself a small triangular file. Make a scratch / scrape through the seed coat. Soak in water for 24 hours before planting.

But quite likely when the Canna goes dormant after frost and you cut it back, then clean it out of the pot - there will be enough divisions to store through the winter then transplant in the spring that seedlings will exacerbate the "oh my goodness where will I plant all of these!" situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My summer vegetable garden is just about finished. I have peppers, green beans, great northern beans, black eyes peas(they are almost finished), cabbage and onions still going. I am already picking out seeds for next year and ordering EARLY. I think we will face another seed shortage again next season. I also have saved seeds from my own garden this year. As for flowers, I realized I need something to bloom late summer-fall. Spring color isn't lacking but after that first flush it looks a little bland.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrots finally look like carrots! I think they have been growing 3x past the number of days they are supposed to take to grow before harvest.

DSC_0022.JPG

Cherry tomatoes ready to be picked!
DSC_0024.JPG

Larger tomatoes finally started turning red this week
DSC_0025.JPG

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you <3 I'm pretty excited with the results and cannot wait to taste my first home grown by myself tomatoes. Yum yum.
I just love to sniff a ripe tomato in the vine. A great smell. You can pick them when they are all red but still a little hard. They will finish ripening on your counter. If you have critters in your yard they also find a ripe tomato irresistible so you want to grab it before they do.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love to sniff a ripe tomato in the vine. A great smell. You can pick them when they are all red but still a little hard. They will finish ripening on your counter. If you have critters in your yard they also find a ripe tomato irresistible so you want to grab it before they do.
I'll have to give them a sniff :) Thanks for the tips! Luckily, they are upon a deck, although there has been one animal that has dug in my pots 1 or 2 days, but normally no activity on the deck besides a varied diversity of insects I've been intrigued by. I'll keep an eye out though.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It's getting really cold outside now, close to freezing so I figured now is a good time to prep the canna's for winter. I chopped them down and separated the bulbs. They were very root bound. I couldn't get the peat moss 100% off the bulbs so I left them.
20200906_123655.jpg

The seeds have been soaking for 2 days almost 3. They have started to sprout so I planted them in peat moss.
20200906_141245.jpg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soooo good are home grown tomatoes 🍅🍅🍅
Especially if you don't have competition for them. I found a bunch of squashed tomatoes on the ground a few days ago, so I set up a trail camera to see who the miscreant was. When I pulled the card, Mr. Raccoon showed up as big as life picking tomatoes right off the vine. I guess my grape tomatoes pass muster.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Especially if you don't have competition for them. I found a bunch of squashed tomatoes on the ground a few days ago, so I set up a trail camera to see who the miscreant was. When I pulled the card, Mr. Raccoon showed up as big as life picking tomatoes right off the vine. I guess my grape tomatoes pass muster.
Mr. Raccoon has good taste for food!

I had no invaders this year, but I did find a tomato hornworm pupa when planting some things nearby. I reburied it far from my tomatoes. Although it wouldn't have been a threat in the pupa to adult stage, still I did it.