Garage cat

lilycat.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So basically, I put my kitten in the garage at night time. She’s in there at night but is in the house during the day. I’d say she’s there for 10 hours minimum, but it could be up to 12 hours. Sometimes we put her in there in the day for about 30 mins at most because my father hates her and because we need to open the doors in the house or go out shopping. She has two cat towers, four windows, two cat beds, three blankets, toys, a bunch of places to jump up onto, and we obviously give her the litter box, food, and water. Is this animal cruelty? I feel bad for doing it because I hate seeing her be locked up in there for so long :( I still live with my parents but i take care of the kitten. She seems very happy in the daytime and i play with her for 20-30 minutes a day. I’m with her a lot too. Please let me know if this is ok to do. Again, it’s not my choice it’s my parents’ choice.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Millions of cats live in studios. Space isn't a big thing, cats are adaptable. The only way your garage would be terrible is:

(1) if it gets dangerously hot or cold -- where do you live?;
(2) if there is dangerous stuff lying around the cat could, for example, eat or drink. Random home renovation related stuff can kill a cat -- my brother's cat liked drippings on a closed tub of something and died;
(3) if one of you is going to forget, perhaps because the cat will hide somewhere, and the cat will accidentally get run over or let out and not be recoverable. Not likely stuff per se, but I don't know the exact circumstances.

We've heard much worse, I'm sure. There is an active thread about a mom that might declaw their cat, for example. This is unlikely to be such a big deal in the scheme of things, although you should give careful thought to each of the above.

My cat dashes into the garage once in a while, and we've let him stay there a bit to teach him there is nothing interesting in there. He sometimes goes on the cars though, and leaves footprints, so I generally try to round him up immediately. Footprints on cars are super annoying!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilycat.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i live in new york, so nothing too hot or too cold. everything that’s dangerous to her is all sealed and locked up so there’s no danger there. we never use the garage and it’s almost always closed. when it’s open the cat is in the house all nice and safe.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That doesn't sound so bad, not sure why you would even worry its cruelty. I'd take another look through for dangerous stuff, because with most folks their storage area has some, but other then that, so what if its technically a garage? It probably never gets colder or hotter than some indoor/outdoor cats like being out in.