Gang's Still Doing Well!

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since I popped in, but wanted to let y'all know that our fur gang is still doing well, even our Old Lady Skye! She just turned 16 about 3 months ago and is still doing her thing-- albeit, in retirement mode! She isn't climbing trees or hollering from the roof tops anymore, but she still insists on taking us for a walk, LOL! :D

We did have a period there where she was having these "fits"... chewing and scratching until sh would fall over and thrash around... we thought it was some kind of seizure, and feared the worst. But it turned out that after MANY years on Advantage, our flea population in this area has become resistant. YES... Advantage resistance is REAL. We had been faithful in applying it to all of our cats on the first of the month, but then our groomer noticed that Tara, our Himmy, had live fleas on 2 visits. On closer investigation, we saw live fleas on Skye too so we asked the vet for a new flea product. We tried Activyl, I think-- supposed to work for 8 weeks, but it failed on us after only 3. And Skye was MISERABLE! So in June we went over to Bravecto... wow, it works like a champ! She had a few more fits, but then they have completely STOPPED!

This cat has (or had) Feline Hyperesthesia!! The vet saw a video of several episodes and the recovery phase (and the fact that we could easily disrupt an episode just by sharply calling her name), and immediately ruled out epilepsy. This poor cat is SUPER sensitive to insect bites, so we are taking care to be sure that she isn't getting fleas, mosquitoes, etc.

Other than that... all's well!:thumbsup::bluecat::greenpaw:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I love Bravecto.Honeybee used to come in with ticks on her...the tiny baby ones. Nothing else killed them...shes due for a dose next week on the 30th and that will be it until the spring. I love it's less exposure to chemicals.

DE works on fleas but doesnt seem to stick around long enough to kill ticks and it won't work on wet fur or wet grass etc. I like using de on calm dry days to dust the lawn to keep the ants and other pests down...we got an explosion of ants this year. Yuck.