Game Ideas/exercise

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am desperately trying to get Lily moving more, she is so stubborn! I've tried toy ideas I've seen on here, games I've seen on here. Today I took a towel, and took an end of wand and wiggled it under the blanket, she took interest, but this is all I got.
No jumping around, just grabbing at it. We took a walk around the house at least today, and she was more active than a few days ago (she's been constipated and would literally sit down in the middle of the yard) and today she made a full "lap"from the front door to the back. I've tried throwing a ball, a milk jug top, and yeah I'm not chasing that. She's not into toys, she never has been. When she was younger, before we got Zoe, we would play hide and seek, that game doesn't interest her now either. Besides literally chasing her, what can I try to get her moving more and get some exercise? Oh and she does wrestle with Zoe when Zoe will jump on her head and she pushes her off.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
today she made a full "lap"from the front door to the back.
I apologize if you've already seen this idea, or if this was actually how you got her to walk but I'd read that if you were to hold her food plate in the air and have her follow it/you, that would add some more steps to her exercise routine.

Can you also put that food plate on a couple stair steps above her, and then over time have her walk up even more steps to get to her meal? ..if I think of more, I'll come back...

Frankly I think you're doing an absolutely fantastic job!! Don't give up, hang in there!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got a good walk in today! We have woods behind our house, so I thought we could explore. And boy did she! I didn't even have to push her to get moving this time, I walked to the edge of the woods and she came with me. She walked on fallen tree stumps, explored the revine. at one point i couldn't see where she had gone, and Zoe decided to join us on the walk, and I asked where Zoe where did Lily run off to, and sure enough, Zoe walked down a tree trump, looking around and showed me. I was so proud of her. I think Lily just needs prompting to move, because left to her own devices, she will literally sit around all day, and sleep.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Add in an i-pad or i-phone, and you could be talking about a human tween/teenager. :lol:
:flail:
I've heard people will "hide" food here and there (assuming she really likes her food and would be willing to hunt it down) to get them up and moving. Assuming she's not in pain, she might prove she's more outdoors-y than you realized (like she did on her walk!) and decide that indoor time is for sleeping, outdoors time is for exploring.
Would it be possible to build her a small outdoor catio off your house that she can access and have things for her to claw, climb?
What type of food is she eating?

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a screened in porch, kind of like a "catio" where she does like to go outside and watch nature and there is a ledge she sometimes jumps on. They are both allowed freely outside whenever they want(except at night), Lily just chooses to stay in, and when she does go out its a quick walk around the house, if we're lucky. Which surprised me today when I walked into the woods and she came with me. My Mom had mentioned maybe she's just bored with just around the house and the woods were fun to her to explore, but scary to ever go into alone so since i was there she felt safe. Zoe is out there most of the day, stalking stuff, watching, and running around the yard. I don't think Lily understands the concept of hunting so she doesn't watch birds or stalk bugs. Which brings the absolute no interest in toys. She does at night though, go into a room or the laundry room and "catch" a piece of clothing, drag it out, and then meow to show us her catch, she does this about once or twice a week.
She eats Crave hard food (chicken) and then they eat Whole Hearted packets of wet food(tuna) at night. And I'm slowly cutting back on the temptations treats, she LOVES those.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a screened in porch, kind of like a "catio" where she does like to go outside and watch nature and there is a ledge she sometimes jumps on. They are both allowed freely outside whenever they want(except at night), Lily just chooses to stay in, and when she does go out its a quick walk around the house, if we're lucky. Which surprised me today when I walked into the woods and she came with me. My Mom had mentioned maybe she's just bored with just around the house and the woods were fun to her to explore, but scary to ever go into alone so since i was there she felt safe. Zoe is out there most of the day, stalking stuff, watching, and running around the yard. I don't think Lily understands the concept of hunting so she doesn't watch birds or stalk bugs. Which brings the absolute no interest in toys. She does at night though, go into a room or the laundry room and "catch" a piece of clothing, drag it out, and then meow to show us her catch, she does this about once or twice a week.
She eats Crave hard food (chicken) and then they eat Whole Hearted packets of wet food(tuna) at night. And I'm slowly cutting back on the temptations treats, she LOVES those.
It'll be boring for you, but can you find a way to cut the temptations treats up into 2, 4, even 6 little squares? If she loves them, that might be your ticket to getting her to move a bit more. She'll have 4 or 5 treats per treat instead of just one this way.
If you took a temptations treat and slid it across the floor, past her about an inch, would she chase it?
How do you think she'd react to those in a toy that dispenses treats? (You can buy them, but for ours an empty plastic water bottle works, too.)

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well today she was not having it. Maybe its too hot out there for her today, yesterday it was overcast. We went outside and under the porch she went, and would not follow me anywhere. :dunno: And today she's just been laying around the house. She may be sulking/mad at me. this morning I shoved some pumpkin down her throat again because I noticed again this morning there was no poop in her box. And I'll do it again tonight too. I had thought the pumpkin from a few days ago had cleared her out but I guess not and we have a ways to go. I feel guilty forcing her to eat pumpkin. After I got a few finger amounts in her, she will lick some of the pumpkin off her plate, its like shes showing me "ok ok I'm eating it please stop" But when I offer it to her first she just walks away. Man is getting this girl more active and getting regular tough, but I'm keeping at it.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I definitely don't feel like it right now, kinda feel like a jerk. Lily has retreated to inside of a box to be away from me ( I gave her more pumpkin) and Zoe is avoiding me because she witnessed the pumpkin, and thinks she's gonna get pumpkin pushed in her now too. No Zoe, you are a little speedy gonzales, I have no concerns over your bathroom habits. Hopefully tomorrow Lily will be a little less grouchy and will be more willing to walk with me. I would say I'd try it again tonight since the sun is setting but I'm done forcing her to do stuff for the day, even if it is just going outside. (Oh no, outside is the worst!)