Gallbladder Surgery

Megan452

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with a cat having their gallbladder removed?
My 11 year old cat started picking at food and loosing weight a few weeks ago. After blood work and an ultrasound, it was discovered that she had ‘thickened gallbladder walls and thick sludge in her gallbladder.’ With our vet we’ve tried a strong course of antibiotics, and appetite stimulants to get her to eat. When that didn’t work a feeding tube was placed.
She is still not getting better, so the vet said the next step would be removing her gallbladder. I’m hesitant to put her through the surgery if it is a very difficult recovery as this isn’t guaranteed to make her better, and she is already weak from being sick for so long.
She had another vet appointment tomorrow to further discuss the surgery and her quality of life, but I’m wondering if anyone out there has had/heard of someone who has had a similar experience.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know about gall bladder surgery for cats. In people - I had mine removed back in the day when they really opened you up, had to lift liver out of the way to get at it, etc. Long recovery. My daughter had hers removed laparoscopically and it was a significantly much easier recovery for her. So one question to ask your vet is how is the surgery done.

Good luck, and do let us know how it goes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Search Results for Query: gall bladder surgery
There are some threads here about gall bladder surgery and gall stones.

If your vet believes that this is causing a chronic obstruction, then the surgery is recommended. Is the problem entirely confined to the gall bladder?

I don't know if you are able to get a second opinion or take your cat to a specialty hospital (you may need a referral) so that another vet can weigh in on this.