gabapentin

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Trixie was prescribed gabapentin for her arthritis. She seems to have taken to the powder form being put in her canned food ok. However, when I changed to the liquid form a couple days ago, she seems to be turning up her nose at the medicated food (and not eating as much of it). I'm a bit disappointed, as I thought it would be easier to get a full dose down her using the liquid (since I wouldn't have to divide up an 100 mg capsule). Is it common for cats to take a dislike to liquid gabapentin?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it depends where you got it. When my cat started liquid gabapentin I got it from the VCA hospital nearby and it seemed cherry flavored or something weird like that. I eventually got it from a compounding pharmacy nearby that was able to make it flavored like tuna, chicken, etc. I also give medication to my cat as a small meal following her smallest meal of the day (e.g., 20g wet food at 12, then 20g wet food with medication at 5). This way I can ensure that she is likely to eat most/all of it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, ask about compounding it in a cat-friendly flavor. A lot of liquid meds are flavored for humans and we and cats don't usually like the same things :lol: .

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had trouble with the cherry flavored cat medications as well. It always amazes me that they think that cats like fruit flavors. Try to get it from a compounding pharmacy in a cat friendly flavor.

For what it's worth, I have usually had more trouble with liquids and animals as opposed to pills or powders.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Try some of these options for administering the meds -
1.) 'juice' from canned tuna and chicken, and then give a piece of the meat as a treat afterward
2.) baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
3.) lickable treats, such as Applaws, Wholehearted, Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, Vitakraft - just to name a few
4.) Tiki Cat Mousse (which is complete meal, not a treat)
I mix a little bit of any of the above with Feeby's meds and they all have worked for her - with both crushable pills and liquid forms.

But, I would also look into joint supplements as well - glucosamine, chondroitin, green lipped mussels. They go above just medicating a cat for pain related to the arthritis, as they help reduce joint deterioration. I have used Glyco Flex Plus (contains all of the above ingredients) for Feeby (16+ yo) for about two years now. She is not on any pain meds, and while she occasionally has a slight limp (with weather changes) she does quite well.

I also have set up interim steps for her to be able to reach higher up locations so that she doesn't need to jump as much/as high as she used to be able to do. The steps - and the Glyco - have really helped her get back to places that she had once abandoned.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat also gets gabapentin for arthritis, and she will only take it in a liquid. My vet office has it compounded in marshmallow (yes) because they found it to mask the super bitter taste of gabapentin the most. However, I now get it compounded in strawberry, which my cat surprisingly hates less (let's be honest) than when I had it compounded in beef. I started keeping her liquid medications in the fridge (I know the label says to keep at room temp), because when the meds are cold, my cat doesn't seem to taste them as much. They still work, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will look into either having the medicine compounded with a cat friendly taste. I did notice when I was giving Trixie this afternoon's dose, that it smelled a bit like medicinal cherry. In answer to the question about supplements - The office had me put her on KD + Mobility the first time they saw her. The second time, the vet did mention something about adding supplements. I will ask about adding GlycoFlex to her regimen. If it works well with the KD, that might be a very good option for her.

user200400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi quick question did your cat show increased urination when you started gabapentin as a side effect?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She does have some increased urination from kidney disease (being managed with diet for now). I haven't noticed that getting worse since the gabapentin.

Feelyne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet prescribed 50mg pills of gaba for us. They are small enough to go in a pill pocket, and also lets me play with dosing as needed.