Gabapentin-withdrawal? Vet Claims No

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat, Tigger has been taking Gabapentin for 2 weeks. He was on .7ml twice a day for a few days before the dose had to be lowered to .35ml twice a day due to him being zombie-like.

The vet said NOTHING about weaning him off, despite my questions and concerns. And, sure enough, the first day without it he is having diarrhea and vomiting. I've called them and they claim it's not possible that it's withdrawal and I just don't trust them or believe it is just a coincidence. They are an ER vet. No other vet is open until tomorrow.

They said to bring him back if he continues to be sick. I don't know what to do.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eh, gabapentin can definitely cause withdrawal in humans, so it's usually tapered on or off. I am far from an expert in the effects of gabapentin on cats, though.

However, it's worth noting that a 30 second google search produced results that all suggested that it can cause withdrawal in cats as well as humans. Those sites also said that at least diarrhea can be a side effect anyway, but it would seem odd for him to suffer it only immediately after cessation.

Perhaps you need a second veterinary opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am consulting with his vet tomorrow. If he gets sicker, of course I'll have to take him back to this vet. It is the only vet around open on a Sunday since they are for emergencies.

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just looked over the ear ointment Tigger was just put on for a yeast infection, Quadritop, and saw that vomiting and diarrhea can be side effects. I never thought ear drops could cause this so that may actually be the issue. Regardless, I am calling his regular vet early tomorrow as I need another expert opinion.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Diarrhea from an ear ointment? I can understand vomiting because putting drops in the ear could conceivably cause vertigo. But diarrhea I don’t get. Do you remember where you saw that? Good idea to call his regular vet when you can.

Why is Tigger taking gabapentin?

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It said on the insert the ear medicine can cause vomiting and diarrhea. He was on Gabapentin for cystitis (no infection just inflammation and blood in urine), along with Prazosin. Both were stopped yesterday after 2 weeks. I talked to his regular vet this morning, and he will be going over everything at 4pm with me today. I'm hoping it all goes well as this situation has been a nightmare.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I talked to his regular vet this morning, and he will be going over everything at 4pm with me today. I'm hoping it all goes well as this situation has been a nightmare.
It is my understanding that one of the contraindications of Gabapentin is diarrhea. I'm glad to hear you spoke to your regular vet and have an appointment today. Please keep us updated and fingers crossed for both of you. :crossfingers:

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An update: My regular vet said he believed Tigger is having withdrawal symptoms and said to wean him off gradually. However, they had no Gabapentin. So, I had to get it from the ER vet or wait for it to be sent from an online pharmacy which would take days and defeat the purpose of weaning Tigger off it slowly.

Thankfully, the emergency vet did give me it. Unfortunately, I had to take my other cat there tonight as she somehow injured her back while I was at work. It didn't end up being too serious, but, these last few weeks have included so many vet visits (for cystitis, 3 cat annuals, a dental, etc.) and lots of money spent. I'm hoping there will be no more illnesses or injuries any time soon.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm hoping there will be no more illnesses or injuries any time soon.
Fingers crossed for no more health problems or emergency vet appointments for the remainder of the year.