Gabapentin Long Term for Arthritis Pain

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Iris, who will be 17 in May, has been exhibiting more and more discomfort as a result of her arthritis. It's clearly bothering her hips and lower back. I've been giving her Cosequin (twice daily) as well as fish oil and CBD, but it's been getting worse.

When she was being treated for a UTI in late January, I talked to the vet about it and he prescribed gabapentin, 50 mg. to be given at bedtime (half a 100 mg. capsule). When I started it, she seemed so...not "out of it" exactly but quiet and subdued every morning. I asked the vet if I could reduce it to a third of a capsule--about 33 mg.--and he said it was fine to do that. But in the morning, she still walks kind of low in the back, if you know what I mean, and she holds her tail straight out instead of upright. She's more bright-eyed later in the day and moves her tail more. I do want to make sure her pain is controlled but I don't want to overmedicate her.

Has anyone else used gabapentin long term to control pain in their kitties? Any experience with other types of pain relief?

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I take gabapentin off-label for anxiety. I know other people who do find it sedating; I don't.

Timothy's elbows are basically destroyed by arthritis - we give him cartrophen shots to help address the root cause - it rebuilds cartilege or something. Our vet has said re: dogs (we've recently started giving the same to our 13 year old dog) adequan is very similar.

It's made a huge difference for Timothy's mobility.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been giving it continuously for two weeks? I think around that time the sedative effect stops and pain relief kicks. My boy was sleepy for several days but then went back to normal. Increased appetite is the side effect in his case though, and it unfortunately stayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you been giving it continuously for two weeks? I think around that time the sedative effect stops and pain relief kicks. My boy was sleepy for several days but then went back to normal. Increased appetite is the side effect in his case though, and it unfortunately stayed.
Yes, she’s been on it for several weeks now. How much were you giving your guy?

I may be reading too much into her body language. It may be just the natural stiffness that happens when we sleep all night. Perhaps, now that she’s been on it for a few weeks, I should bump it back up to half a capsule.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she’s been on it for several weeks now. How much were you giving your guy?

I may be reading too much into her body language. It may be just the natural stiffness that happens when we sleep all night. Perhaps, now that she’s been on it for a few weeks, I should bump it back up to half a capsule.
50mg twice a day, but I will be upping it to 75mg three times a day. It’s not for pain, though, it’s for FHS.